Lynchburg14

Reaction score
Handicap
Okay here is my swing broken down in slow motion from the back and the side. It feels good to me but what do I need to change and work on? Will say I am hitting the ball straight. Thanks

I'm not Freddie but I see a couple things that I was doing early last year and while I was hitting ball ok they tact wasn't consistent.

What is your miss? Fat, thin, pull,push, combo of them?

your first move is with the hands instead of the shoulders and leads you to getting the arms away from the body then your hands roll and end up with a flatter swing. The other thing is it looks like you stand up in your backswing then end up coming back down during the transition.

i would say maybe work on a one piece takeaway, keep the club head outside the hands on your takeaway and maintaining spine angle.

My miss is a combo. Thin early and fat later

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Watch your hands. Instead of cocking your wrists, you hinge them back.

Set the club in front of you and pick the club and feel like the toe is coming towards your nose. That's what the hands do.

Similar to what I have. Spine angle is going have an effect on that. Keeping the arms from getting away from you and having the club stay ahead of the hands and the arms going up vice around should help with the maintaining spine angle.

Yea - I think the hands moving first is the main culprit for the inconsistency. I know when I have ball striking issues, this is the first place I'll look. For whatever reason, I have had this issue much more with the driver. A drill that works for me is taking a club, taking my normal stance, and putting the butt of the club in my stomach, then gripping the club on the shaft where my hands are hanging normally. Then just practice the turn - it has to start with the shoulders.

Freddie will fix you up for sure!

Getting ready to go work on this during my lunch. Thanks for the help.

Spine tilt (at 00:43) is causing some of the inconsistency in your strike zone. Try to maintain a square shoulder turn with your spine straight up and down (front facing) to get a more consistent strike zone to eliminate the fat/thin shots.

I would say to go see a qualified teaching professional

Good take fellas.

I would add that you never seem to get your weight to your right side and load up all your energy. Have you ever tried hitting a baseball with all your weight on your left side? That's what you're doing with your golf swing. I've used the analogy before of loading up your right side hitting a baseball or similar, while pitching off of a baseball mound. With golf, it's a similar feeling when you load your inside right leg to throw and move towards home plate, you need that same feeling to hit the ball. In doing so, you'll find you'll have to get your head at or a little behind the ball.

Here is a look at where you are at the top of your swing, and compared to World #1 Jordan Spieth.

Notice your head position compared to the ball? See how your weight is at the top?

Last edited:
Notice your head position compared to the ball? See how your weight is at the top?

I'm going to put a big second on what Jay said. I'm no Freddie, but I struggled with this reverse pivot move for a long time. I think that contributes more to the fat/thin shots than the disconnected takeaway, but a better takeaway will aid in fixing the reverse pivot. At least for me and my swing it was a lot harder to reverse pivot when my takeaway started with my shoulders and kept the clubhead outside my hands until the shaft was at least parallel to the ground.

Good take fellas.

I would add that you never seem to get your weight to your right side and load up all your energy. Have you ever tried hitting a baseball with all your weight on your left side? That's what you're doing with your golf swing. I've used the analogy before of loading up your right side hitting a baseball or similar, while pitching off of a baseball mound. With golf, it's a similar feeling when you load your inside right leg to throw and move towards home plate, you need that same feeling to hit the ball. In doing so, you'll find you'll have to get your head at or a little behind the ball.

Here is a look at where you are at the top of your swing, and compared to World #1 Jordan Spieth.

The baseball break down makes sense to me as I understand it better. What drills do I need to make this happen?

Sad thing is I am hitting the ball very solid right now with good distance and accuracy.

Sad thing is I am hitting the ball very solid right now with good distance and accuracy.

You should be hitting it farther.....and I know how far you hit the ball.

You should be hitting it farther.....and I know how far you hit the ball.
Have always felt that i am losing power.

Have always felt that i am losing power.

Wish I could help you out with how to improve your swing. I still have things I need to fix, but for me, taking lessons was the best thing I ever did for my swing.

Wish I could help you out with how to improve your swing. I still have things I need to fix, but for me, taking lessons was the best thing I ever did for my swing.
Took 3 lessons before and that's it. The rest has been trial and error and help from other people

The one thing I keep thinking is that your ball is too far back in your stance. Do you put it in middle? Almost looks behind the middle based on the video. I would put it under the logo on the left side of your shirt.

The one thing I keep thinking is that your ball is too far back in your stance. Do you put it in middle? Almost looks behind the middle based on the video. I would put it under the logo on the left side of your shirt.
I was hitting a 7i and have been putting it middle or maybe a tab more forward

Your hands move the club past your right new before the arms even begin to move. This move if the root of that is wrong with your swing. It's a domino affect and can only be fixed once we learn to take the club away.

Take a look at your setup from the fave forward view. That is a solid setup and if the arms move as one unit with the shoulders turning. You won't be so flat and will not have to create space on the down swing. If you train your shoulders and arms to move as one pice to get the swing going, you get on a positive plane. Right now you are way too flat. Work on your take away and get back to me.

Yes sir will do

Good take fellas.

I totally agree. I have seen some people fix the takeaway though and everything else kind of fall in place, so that would be my place to start. But yea, the weight shift is an issue. Freddie will help a lot here!

This is why I will never do online golf.Just reading everyone's posts on different fixes-symptoms would drive me bonkers.Golf is hard enough for me,but in person is the best way to do this.No disrespect to all the advice this golfer is getting.Just something i wouldn't feel comfortable doing at all

Back