New club build fun.

mesaman777

Reaction score
Handicap
~
I thought it would be fun to post a new iron project I just finished.

I bought a brand new set of Srixon Z565's, but I chose a shaft that I couldn't get along with. I didn't have an opportunity to get fit to these because they are closeouts. I knew that I could bend them to spec and change shafts if need be, so the investment was worth the chance.

A hugh thanks once again to @snickerdog for hooking me up with some incredible Nippon wrap tech 750's. After one round it was instantly apparent that these shafts and heads were a perfect match for my swing and game.

So here are some pics of the process......

780bd9b2be4316db664eb0f8e370794a.jpg
0d2fdf4eea31caf4d9f988c01b010953.jpg
c742dad57859567501b0808c69124843.jpg

These are the original build

36ad5748aab6f161fa71ce2b4e1f6c69.jpg
d57114e6de57cbc1ad9fd9fd73fb41a9.jpg
e462b9ca2d7cb0f21a291ec8e42c282a.jpg
c91184798727725cc9b490e330a7e486.jpg

Here are some supplies for the new build.

23d779fbf6742724917ef3b477f8700e.jpg
a2b6cecfc5d43c653263944fd96161a5.jpg
edf35168b6c4069eb08b423fe92c0bbf.jpg

The shafts arrive and they are Gorgeous. Thanks again Dave.

52e47f46c530e6cdf40129cb225bdffa.jpg

These shaft walls are pretty thin. I usually use a conduit cutter for shafts, but I was worried that I would crush the walls, so I went with a tile saw equipped with a diamond blade. Worked like a champ. I cut shy of my mark and finished the edge on a disc sander.

44229422d34a0a585937bf4a3b51af82.jpg
224ff5b3df6a51f7bd64be38f33e6dad.jpg

The swing weights on the original club's were D2 across the set. I like that number in my scoring irons, but prefer C9-D0 in the longer irons and D1 in the middle of the set.

0834f22cd2822a306d5c9b20d23bc4c8.jpg
e1daf600da02331f819db0770c064c64.jpg

I pulled the weights out of the original shafts, there were 4 of them. I secured a grip to the end of each shaft with a rubber band to check SW and weight the heads appropriately. I ended up with D2 for AW, PW, 9 - D1 for 8, 7, 6 and D0 for 5, 4.

86f774effc500a18428ef667e8cdbc94.jpg
a1bf959fab1bd825afdf85d36e5efd26.jpg
45084f3cb61a1bd297497667b9ca3412.jpg

Here is the finished set. I still need to whip the ferrules, they are a little proud of the hosel. I'll probably do that this weekend.

Thanks for reading.

Rich

Last edited:
Those came out great mesaman! Nice work, and here's to lots of birdies.

Those look great!!!! I like the ferrule choice. Really glad these work for you!!! Nice pic of the box up against the piano :D
Enjoy and play well my friend. Keep us updated on the lower scores.

Those look awesome! Great work.

Those look great!!!! I like the ferrule choice. Really glad these work for you!!! Nice pic of the box up against the piano :D
Enjoy and play well my friend. Keep us updated on the lower scores.

Wouldn't have been possible without your generosity Dave. Please let me know if you ever need anything. Thanks again.

Cool build, thanks for sharing, the finished product looks great!

New club build fun.

Great build and beautiful clubs! Thanks for sharing the process.

Really great job on those clubs!

Must be a very rewarding process to do from start to finish, thank you for sharing all the pictures along the way!!

Really great job on those clubs!

Must be a very rewarding process to do from start to finish, thank you for sharing all the pictures along the way!!
Thanks. The most rewarding aspect is hitting a shot and not seeing the clubhead fly down the fairway

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Awesome looking build, looking forward to your thoughts once you get them out in the course. Great job ��!

Just wanted to give a little update/review on this combo.

I have 4 rounds under my belt with these and I am over the moon with the results. Not scoring wise, but feel and ball striking. The heads definitely have that softer forged feel, not as soft as other irons I've played in the past, but way more pleasant than my last 2 cast sets. I wasn't getting that soft feel with the previous shafts I had on them and I was concerned that these heads weren't as soft as advertised. That all changed with the introduction of the Wrap Tech shafts. I really never thought I would like a shaft as much as the Modus3 105's I had in my last 2 sets, that is one smooth shaft. The weight was perfect for a slow swinger like me and I was a little nervous that moving to the 75G steel Wrap Techs would have been too drastic of a change for me. It is barley noticeable to me. I didn't feel that I had to make any adjustments to my swing or tempo to keep this combo on plane. I feel the head throughout the swing, I feel the shaft load and unload and I can tell when I'm going to have a good strike just before I make contact with the ball. It's crazy how that works sometimes.

I also moved to a different style of grip, I was using a multi compound for years and decided to try a softer grip on my wedges earlier in the season. I just happened to go with the cross comforts on a whim and I liked them, a lot. I installed them on this iron set and then went full set a week later. I truly believe that these help a great deal with shock absorption, so the soft feel is accentuated, which is great for me, plus the fact that they feel great in the hands and offer plenty of grip. Bonus.

I haven't even had the time to hit the range with these. Time has been limited the last several months due to a whirlwind of life changing events, (All Positive) so I long to spend a couple of hours on the range. However, given the choice of range time or playing? What would you choose? Exactly!

The bend profile is a little different on these, more towards the tip. This is good for me, I wanted something I could get up in the air easier. The Z565 seems to be designed more for ball speed than COG placement, so I am getting a nice high flight with the shafts, much more than the stock shafts, but I'm sure that was due to the stiffer flex. Either way, I am hitting the ball higher than the i200, i25, ei1 clubs I was playing prior to these. I think I am getting some more distance too, I am hitting backs of greens with clubs that I would normally hit to the center from the same spot in the fairway, so their may be something there. I'm not ready to commit to the extra length comment, I would like to see the results in warmer weather. It has gotten cold here, I played in the low 30's last week and in the super wet 40's yesterday, so I will reserve any further judgment until it warms up again.

I like these so much that I am committing to the brand! I just purchased 2 Cleveland RTX3's from Budget Golf for a steal with the THP discount. Thanks THP and BG. I love the heads, but I can't hit these from the fairway effectively, the shafts are too stiff for me. Can anyone recommend a solid replacement shaft? I'm looking at KBS Tour Custom in R (110G) or the Modus3 wedge R also (110G). My wife just got me a Srixon Plus4 stand bag for xmas and I made the mistake of hitting the Z785 Driver last time I made it to the range. I hit that club considerably longer than my current driver, so it's firmly on my radar and the saving jar is labeled and ready to be fed.

So, in summary I love my new irons and I look forward to spending the next year with them. I can't thank @snickerdog enough for putting me into these shafts, Dude, you helped reinvigorate my passion for the game, I really needed this to get me back on track. Thanks so much.

Great stuff Rich! Building your own clubs is so much fun and so rewarding. Glad you found a great combo for you. If you still have the iron shafts you took out of the 565's, maybe try them (PW and GW) in the irons butt trimmed to your preferred playing length. Could even use the 7 and 8 and butt trim more to soften them up to flex a bit if you prefer that.

Nice looking set Rich! BTW ... what are you going to do with your old Nippon shafts?

Building my own clubs is my ultimate golfing goal. Hopefully some day I have the chance.

Great stuff Rich! Building your own clubs is so much fun and so rewarding. Glad you found a great combo for you. If you still have the iron shafts you took out of the 565's, maybe try them (PW and GW) in the irons butt trimmed to your preferred playing length. Could even use the 7 and 8 and butt trim more to soften them up to flex a bit if you prefer that.

Thanks Scott. I agree building your own clubs is a rewarding hobby. I love it. I didn't consider using the original shafts because I knew I was going to pay them forward. After snickerdogs display of generosity, it was really the only option. In fact @claytushaywood contacted me before I even pulled the shafts. He said he was looking for a set. He is a newish member and I asked him to join the albatross club and I would send him the shafts for free. He immediately joined and I sent him the shafts. Welcome to THP right? Good karma abound.

Nice looking set Rich! BTW ... what are you going to do with your old Nippon shafts?

Sorry Chris, I passed them along to another member. I was going to have a contest for them, but events happened quickly.

Sorry Chris, I passed them along to another member. I was going to have a contest for them, but events happened quickly.
Man gotta move quick with you.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thanks Scott. I agree building your own clubs is a rewarding hobby. I love it. I didn't consider using the original shafts because I knew I was going to pay them forward. After snickerdogs display of generosity, it was really the only option. In fact @claytushaywood contacted me before I even pulled the shafts. He said he was looking for a set. He is a newish member and I asked him to join the albatross club and I would send him the shafts for free. He immediately joined and I sent him the shafts. Welcome to THP right? Good karma abound.

Kind of thought that was probably the case. Well done and enjoy the new sticks. Being out of the steel shaft business for 4 years now, I am unfortunately not the person qualified to make further suggestions regarding your wedge shafts other than I have always liked sticking with the same brand, and often times the same model, to maintain a consistent feel and performance throughout the set.

Kind of thought that was probably the case. Well done and enjoy the new sticks. Being out of the steel shaft business for 4 years now, I am unfortunately not the person qualified to make further suggestions regarding your wedge shafts other than I have always liked sticking with the same brand, and often times the same model, to maintain a consistent feel and performance throughout the set.
I agree with this, but wrap techs are hard to come by. But the 105's might be a good match. Getting some F3's in the 90-100G range might be a nice experiment too.

That is awesome update!!!!! I'm so glad these are working for you. :clapp: Better easier golf is always the goal.
I might have to peak in the back room, I think I might have a fix to the wedge issue. :D

That is awesome update!!!!! I'm so glad these are working for you. :clapp: Better easier golf is always the goal.
I might have to peak in the back room, I think I might have a fix to the wedge issue. :D
Why does this not surprise me? Thanks Dave.

Back