Instructor is a Snowbird - What would you do?

OITW

Reaction score
Living in the Northeast, we have the dreaded offseason.

Speaking to my pro, I was hoping to do a 4/5 lesson package so my game is ready for the season in March.

Well turns out he will be heading south for 2 months to continue his teaching in warmer locales.

Him and I get along great and I’ve seen dramatic improvement under his tutelage.

Should I suck it up and find a new coach for the winter or just continue working on and doing the drills that he’s given me that has made my swing what it is.

Under this instructor I’ve gone from a 12.0 to an 8.0 hdcp - i’ve also had some bad experiences with one instructor I went to in the past.

So what would you do THP?

That is a tough one, seeing the improvement you have had I would stick with him. Just spend the time that he is gone working on what he has already taught.

My vote is just work on what he's had you working on - and maybe see if you could send him video if everything is off.

Don't mess with a good thing.

Speaking to my pro, I was hoping to do a 4/5 lesson package so my game is ready for the season in March.

Well turns out he will be heading south for 2 months to continue his teaching in warmer locales.

Him and I get along great and I’ve seen dramatic improvement under his tutelage.

Should I suck it up and find a new coach for the winter or just continue working on and doing the drills that he’s given me that has made my swing what it is.

Under this instructor I’ve gone from a 12.0 to an 8.0 hdcp - i’ve also had some bad experiences with one instructor I went to in the past.

Had this issue a few years ago. Switched to an instructor that was up here full time. But if you are really seeing progress from this instructor, maybe you could work out a way to send him videos over the winter so that he could take a look at them and give you some feedback? I know that my instructor will let me upload videos through an app so that he can look at them and provide feedback. It's not in person, but better than getting no feedback whatsoever.

I would stick with him. Maybe send him some swing videos that he can take a look a while he is gone

Focus on what the current one has shown you and work on that low wind cutting 2iron for the MC!!!

I like the idea of shooting him videos if needed as well.

Defo do not go to a new coach if you seen that much improvement.

Back when i was an athlete i was a pitcher and there was nothing worse than a new coach messing with stuff that was obviously working just to put his “stamp” on my delivery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My vote is just work on what he's had you working on - and maybe see if you could send him video if everything is off.

Don't mess with a good thing.

I was going to say the same thing. He knows your swing and where you guys are trying to go, switching coaches could disrupt that.

Aren't you the coach? What can he really teach you? :D

2 months is nothing, stick with him. How much do you really want to change over the winter months. Work on your putting and then grove that swing again when things warm up.

I would stick with him and depending on where he is if you feel like you need a lesson you could always go visit him down at this place? Personally when I lived in the Northern part of this country I liked to schedule a getaway in late Jan early february to somewhere sunny.

Finding an instructor you work well with and with whom you are seeing serious improvement is the Golf Unicorn. Don't give him up. Don't switch to someone new.

I would work on my own over the winter and set up an arrangement where you can talk to him or send him video for assistance as you need it.

I vote for sticking with what is working for you.

I'd say stick with him.

I'd also ask if he does Skype-type lessons.

Many instructors do---and could be a good way to tune up as needed until they are back in town.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I think the consensus is pretty clear. I can give you the downside of switching. Tried an “I don’t change what you do, I just improve it” pro because I was having some driver issues with current instructor. Cut to the chase, it only took me 2 months to undo the total crash and burn of my entire game, irons and woods. After another 2 months game is back and getting better. A total loss of time and money.

Stick with what you know is working. Having two coaches is like wearing two watches: you're never really sure what time it is.

Two months really isn't that long when you weigh the fact that you'll still have ample time with him leading into the new season.

Don't fix it if it ain't broke.

I think the consensus is pretty clear. I can give you the downside of switching. Tried an “I don’t change what you do, I just improve it” pro because I was having some driver issues with current instructor. Cut to the chase, it only took me 2 months to undo the total crash and burn of my entire game, irons and woods. After another 2 months game is back and getting better. A total loss of time and money.

Worst part is putting in effort and not seeing the results. Completely deflating.

This seems like a no brainer Alex. Stick with him. Don’t put any extra pressure on yourself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My pro leaves in the beginning of November and aside for a couple weeks in December does not come back until February. I was having an issue last winter and I texted him and asked him to recommend someone until he returns. It worked out great for me as the other pro did a great job fixing the issue and my pro took back over when he returned.

That would be my suggestion. Ask your pro to recommend someone who he knows will be a good fit to with their style for you until he returns. He will understand and know someone who will be able to help you because he knows you as well.

I agree with what many others have said. Instructors approach, strategy, methods and direction can be SO different and I know from first hand experience how frustrating and debilitating it can be to have conflicting methods in your head.

Don't mess up a good thing over a two month break.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Are you that insecure in your game you can't wait 2 months for your pro to get back and in the meantime work on what you have been working on?

Are you that insecure in your game you can't wait 2 months for your pro to get back and in the meantime work on what you have been working on?

first, he’s in the morgan cup and wants to get his game in the best possible shape. that event is in march. he knew geography/weather would be working against prep, and now is concerned that he is losing access to his coach.

second, why is he “that” insecure if he wants to continue to improve? all the time we read posts that say, “haven’t touched a club in a few weeks, game’s pretty rusty.” he wants to stay sharp and practice with purpose.

I'd stick with the guy. It's so tough to find an instructor that you both like and have success with, so I'd continue working with him despite the winter gap.

Thanks for the insight everyone, I asked him about doing the video approach, that was a great idea.

If that doesn’t work I’ll keep working on what’s been established and honing the mechanics

Also the need to have the game tight by March is the mother effing Morgan Cup.

This is a unique situation in that the only other time I had an “offseason” event was the Kickoff Classic a few years ago - of course the game expectations for myself then are not what they are now

Have you considered stalking him?

I won't give advice because I don't have an instructor, but your swing has improved so much since 2014, I'd be hard pressed to let someone else give their insight to your swing.

Have the instructor you like give you something to work on for two months. You can also periodically send him videos of your swing and he can let you know what it is that still needs work. If none of that works for you, just go see Lee Khang. If you need his info, PM me and I can send it to you.

Back