Graphite Shafts for wedges?

henrysdadda

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi All

I have just purchased a set of cobra fmax irons 5-pw plus sw. these are the graphite super lite shafts.

My question is, I have a matching set of callaway forged wedges in very clean condition that I would like to keep using, but the steel shafts just don’t suit me. Can I have these swapped out for a light graphite option? Is there a reason this would not work? Never contemplated changing shafts before.

Any help would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely can. Bring it to someone you trust so they can match the swing weight to your other irons and you will be good to go.

I have had graphite for years in my wedges. Look into the Accra SP wedge shaft. It’s a graphite shaft designed for wedge play. It’s amazing. I won’t use anything else.

I have been playing graphite shafts in my wedges for about 4 years and my wedge game improved after that switch. First set was with heavier shafts in wedges than what was in my iron set but last 2 sets have been matching shafts from 4 iron - LW and I have experienced better wedge play with those 2 sets.

I would absolutely love to try graphite in wedges. Only, I've been so hopelessly fickle throughout the years wrt wedges that, for me, it may be like throwing money down a rabbit's hole.

I have graphite in my wedges and love them. I went with a heavier option over my irons.

I had recoil 110s in my MD3s and they worked fantastically.

I had graphite in my RTX3's, they will be fine in your wedges.

Sure you can. When younger, I was playing Steefiber 125, which I found were great as wedge shafts to keep a higher swingweight. Since then I drifted to a steel option - Nippon Pro Modus 3 105 or 125, which I found easy on the body, too, and allows one to keep a higher swingweight without drastic building options.

But I only use these heavier shafts (114-124g) on my two specialty wedges - the SW and LW.

Typically, I like a little more head feel in my wedges, so I will swingweight the PW at D3, the Gap and SW at D4 and the LW at D5. I find the heavier swingweight helps on delicate shots and chips around the green.

Good luck.

I am using UST Recoil Wedge Protos in my SM7 and love them. the weight is perfect and they perform as advertised.

Well, quite by accident, I'll be seeing for myself.

Was on ebay looking for a Fourteen RM-22 SW and there was one with the Steelfiber i95 shaft that matches my irons. Very light for a wedge shaft but I also thought they'd be way too light for me with irons yet they work sensationally.

So, I'll know soon enough.

Back