Which club would you join?

Michigan Slice

This Guy Cant dance...
Reaction score
Handicap
Here’s the scenario...
One course is pristine shape, great layout, and good amenities.
But.... the people and playing partners are horrible people.

The other course is kind of a “goat track” just average shape,ok layout.
But the people and playing partners are amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goat track. It's cheaper I'm sure and you can enjoy playing there with others. I used to belong to a private club and the people were also awful. Did not enjoy or feel comfortable there so I left. Enjoying yourself is more important then the great course and amenities when you are playing with a bunch of jerks.

People and playing partners all day. The best club in the world doesnt mean a thing if the people suck.

The 1st choice, I can always play alone or bring guests

Pristine course, I’m sure there are a handful of descent folks.

I’d choose the goat track but it seems like a false choice - in all the cities I’ve lived in there have always been decent courses with decent people.

When we moved earlier this year I was faced with the choice of joining a prestigious nationally ranked private club that has held Major Championships or another lessor club where a few of my buddies were members. I never gave the “better” club serious consideration.

Goat track....maybe. I don’t play with a lot of members at my course. So if the staff are cool, that’s all I need really.

Pristine conditions. I always remember course conditions. Rarely the random people I’m paired up with.....

Conduct interviews for people who aren't dicks at the first club

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Nicer course. Personally, I don’t have to talk with the other members, but give me good conditions and and nice practice area and I don’t want talk with anybody anyway

I’ll take the pristine conditions, crappy conditions can be a little demotivating sometimes.

Pristine. I would find the good few and bring some guest.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Nicer course 100 percent. Can always get the first tee time and play solo or bring some friends.

The nicer course. Just bring people with me to play. We could make fun of the hat Judge Smails is wearing at the clubhouse.

I'd go with the course with the better people, all things being said, especially if the first course is private - then the "I'll bring my own people" plans that have been suggested don't work.

But I agree with Freddie that there's bound to be some decent folks at the nicer course.

Pristine course. Solo rounds and taking jerks money ftmfw.

Pristine course. Solo rounds and taking jerks money ftmfw.

I didn't take your second thought here into account... that might change the calculus.

Pristine course

I belonged to a cow pasture of a golf course once. The members were great. The social stuff and 19th hole were great too.
The golf sucked. The only time the course was remotely enjoyable was mid to late fall when the course was in it's best condition.

I thought playing there with a large group of friends would trump the poor conditions. I was wrong.

I've had a lot of fun on goat tracks, but I wouldn't want to be a member. Bunkers should have sand in them and tee boxes and greens kept up to snuff.

I would agree that this is a false choice, no matter where you go you should find acceptable conditions with acceptable company. But in this situation the nicer course and bring people you like.

I belonged to a goat track for the two years previous to this. The people were not an issue as I had a regular group I played with. After a while, though, you tend to get fed up with the conditions. Opt for the better course and look for the good ones to play with as there has to be at least a few.

A lot more variables to consider like cost, distance, monthly requirements league and tournament options to name a few. But going strictly on course vs people, I would go towards the goat track for now. There’s greater chance in my opinion of a course getting better in terms of conditions vs people changing how they are and act.

I’ve played my best golf with friends and family and my PB (score wise) is on what I’d consider a goat track with a close friend.

Here’s the scenario...

I would join which ever club I would enjoy being a member of more. So by your description I would choose the goat track since I wouldn't want to miserable with crappy people all the time.

The game is hard enough without adding in Miserable people.

Here’s the scenario...

Neither of them

Back