ajschn06

Reaction score
Handicap
The offseason in MN has arrived. Time to recap the season. For the first time in 6 years I did more actual golfing than fiddling with my setup- and it was great. I have a 4 and 5 year old at home and haven’t done much actual golfing since they were born. Got a membership, new setup before the season started (that I mostly stick with), and got into my first tournament.

Started the season with:

Callaway Rogue Driver
Callaway Rogue 3 wood
Callaway Rogue 3-6 hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 7-sw
Toulon Portland

Ended the season with:

Callaway Rogue Driver
Callaway Rogue 4 wood
Callaway Rogue X 4 and 5 hybrids
Mizuno JPX 919 hot metal 6-pw
Cleveland CBX 50,54,58
Toulon Portland

The Rogue driver is just a fantastic club. Up until now, my favorites were the Cleveland SL290 or the Titleist 909. I am not overly long at all (I’m short) but driver is my best club, and I never practice it. The start of golf season this year also coincides with me doing some exercises for the first time in a long time. I was up to a consistent 230-240 by the end of the year after struggling to hit 200 early.

The Rogue 3 wood was a monster when I caught it, but the head was just too big for me to hit off the deck consistently. This has to be a deck club- briefly tried the XR 16 3+ wood and it was really good but the low loft wasn’t forgiving enough. Settled on the Rogue 3w and couldn’t be happier.

I had to switch up the hybrids a bit when I changed the loft on the 3w. I also like the profile of the x a bit better. For most of the season I played the 4, 5, 6 hybrids for the whole year. I’m in love with the jailbreak tech on these- I can feel it work. The 6 hybrid was amazing early in the year, but struggled late. When I was timid early in the year, it was amazing. As the season went on and my swing got stronger, aggressive swings with the 6 ballloooned and spun, if I dialed back I couldn’t control it and my misses went from green side to over the green or 10 yds off. Just wasn’t worth the trade off.

I loved the JPX 900 irons- specifically the shaft I ordered them with (LZ Tour Graphite). When I decided to flip the 6h for a 6 iron, I was disappointed I couldn’t order them custom anymore. I was forced to flip them for the 919s and that was obviously an easy change.

Wedges- my set wedges with the 900s were solid, but I was always drawn to these. I’m glad I bit the bullet as they are awesome for my game. Have a set of LZ tour graphite to put in over the winter so they match my irons.

Last- the Toulon Portland H4 putter. This has always been the most difficult club for me, simply because of all the plumbers necks and double bends. Most putters end up looking goofy for me at address and affect my ability to hit a good putt. From day 1 this was comfortable, and I don’t recall a single putt I stepped up to all year that I was uncomfortable with alignment. I love the smaller winged head, the single alignment, and the smaller slant neck is a game changer.

interested to hear your thoughts!B29FE17B-3C39-4507-8653-0CC13ACFED05.jpegE5488C2A-1B10-4074-AEF7-D380E9F5B0AC.jpegE47F32EA-4CA1-43A2-8A17-B130180C3620.jpegF27C6C31-BBC0-4C0D-A779-CC3AF242D2DE.jpg

Nice looking bag and setup.

Nice looking setup!

Incredible setup there AJ.

That is a solid bag. I’m interested to hopefully roll a Portland soon and see what the mini #7 size is all about. Have you played a #7 before? Why do you like this size better?

That is a solid bag. I’m interested to hopefully roll a Portland soon and see what the mini #7 size is all about. Have you played a #7 before? Why do you like this size better?

I’ve never really played a #7 before- mostly because they were all double bend and had a lot of alignment stuff. The slant neck and single topline are the reasons I shelled out for this putter. I guess to me the compact shape makes it look sharp, and I haven’t compared it side by side to a normal #7 so it always felt normal to me not “mini” at all. It’s been noticably forgiving as well so I can’t imagine needing any more in that area. I did struggle with distance control on mid/long putts throughout the year but I was using the line on the ball for alignment really for the first time consistently so I think that played a part. Hope to improve on that but it was incredibly consistent from that 3-5 foot range.

Back