This is a fantastic topic and thread. Some really good stuff here too.
While I am a firm believer that someone must be comfortable with a putter and like the look and sound, there is no doubting that MOI works. Just about every piece of tested scientific data shows it works for golfers and putting.

We are seeing more companies follow suit and go to very high MOI (see TaylorMade new OS release as an example). Just as we saw this decades ago with the invite of mallets to the marketplace and acceptance.

One thing to note that I had not read in the thread is that they can also help golfers stay on plane. While most of the time it is talked about with twisting, my non scientific test shows that I stay on path far better with a heavier putter and has it gets heavier and heavier, it continues that trend.

Great thread guys, this is a fun topic.

While I am a firm believer that someone must be comfortable with a putter and like the look and sound, there is no doubting that MOI works. Just about every piece of tested scientific data shows it works for golfers and putting.

We are seeing more companies follow suit and go to very high MOI (see TaylorMade new OS release as an example). Just as we saw this decades ago with the invite of mallets to the marketplace and acceptance.

One thing to note that I had not read in the thread is that they can also help golfers stay on plane. While most of the time it is talked about with twisting, my non scientific test shows that I stay on path far better with a heavier putter and has it gets heavier and heavier, it continues that trend.

When you mention the non-twisting factor and say heavier, do you mean heavier in general, like overall weight, or a heavier clubhead? Possibly both?

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

When you mention the non-twisting factor and say heavier, do you mean heavier in general, like overall weight, or a heavier clubhead? Possibly both?

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

For me I am referring to heavier club head weight.

I own and have have played high MOI putters for much of the last decade but after a couple putting lessons last summer I discovered that hitting the sweet spot consistently was easy for me so a high MOI design in itself was not important. My problems stemmed from alignment and club path. After working diligently with my instructor we determined that I aimed best with a blade putter with an alinement mark that ended all the way to the leading top edge. After demoing several putters over a few weeks I wound up with my current gamer, a Ping Cadence Tr Anser W. I do own some 8500+ moi putters such as the TM DLL 2.0 but I don't putt as well with it as my gamer. I will say that now that I've fixed my alinement all my putters are working better, high moi or not!

Last edited:
This thread tells me two things:
1. Need to get fit for putter, soon.
2. Need to start tracking my misses.

In putters I prefer a blade, I have used high MOI putters in the past and the ones I used had a bigger head (monza spider), they worked awesome when I swung the weight/mass at the right pace. If I got quick or my timing was off it was too hard to recover the putt. However in drivers I like high MOI rear weighted set ups

I'd like to try a high MOI putter, I really like the looks of the Cure RX series of putters. One of those is on my try list, in fact that's number one on my list of things to try. I prefer heavy putters, I don't typically miss the center of my putter, but I feel more confident with a heavy putter.

I'll be following this topic to see what info I can learn.

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

One of the greatest high MOI putters I ever rolled was a TaylorMade (yup you read that right, TMag) Manta. The face was so soft, and the PureRoll insert got the ball rolling fast, no hopping. It has a muted sound, more so than any putter I have ever rolled. I never gamed it; but always loved it. I moved towards a mid mallet after failure #1 with a plumbers neck blade (#9 and Golo) then finally an Odyssey #7 which is also considered a high MOI putter. In my limited experience with high MOI putters, I have had more success than I have had with a traditional blade or (mid) mallet with lower MOI. That being said, I haven't tried a face balanced (what my stroke is fit for) blade, nor have I tried a blade with higher MOI than a regular putter (ie Spider Blade

I played the TMAG Monza with the AGSI+ insert and absolutely loved it.
monza-spider_large.jpg

Then I was introduced to the TMAG Ghost Spider in 2011.

GhostSpider.jpg

The 360 gram weight coupled with the Pure Roll insert pushed the Monza from the bag.
Since then I have tried 5 or 6 different putters just to see if there was something better.

The high MOI of the Ghost Spider keeps the club from twisting on takeaway, forward stroke and impact.
So far, no other putter has come close to pushing this magic wand out of my bag.

Try to get to the Cure event this year. Not only will you get to try every Cure puttersThe guys from Cure will be there providing putter fittings. If not the Cure event JB usually has some putters in the Tour Van to try out at all the events.

I made the switch to Cure at the event last year and cannot see myself ever changing. The high MOI makes so much sense. It is nice being able to not worry about your stroke because the ball reacts the same off of every part of the face.
Thank you

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Yes. I'm a little confused by this topic and I am looking at putters. I am wondering which would be a good putter, or 3, to test out?

Like Dan mentioned as well, Cure putters IMO are leading in the realm of high MOI putters. Add that to the ability to adjust the putter weight wise to the perfect setting for you and it's great.

I have to disagree that high MOI works for everyone. I have an arc stroke and a high MOI putter just doesn't work for me, I miss everything right.

Also, I think a putter fit for your stroke will be easier to keep on plane since it will rotate with your stroke and there is not fight between hands and clubhead

Yes. I'm a little confused by this topic and I am looking at putters. I am wondering which would be a good putter, or 3, to test out?

I wouldn't just go pick high MOI putters and think they will work for you. I would suggest trying putters of different configurations. This includes weight, MOI, offset, and hosel position. See how effective you are in hitting the line you want to roll the putt on. The easiest way to do this is put a dime about 16" in front of a ball and roll the ball over the center of the dime. Try this with both short and long strokes. the putter that rolls the ball over the center of the dime most consistently is the putter you should pick.

I play an Odyssey Sabertooth Versa because it looks bad ass (I think). Not sure of the MOI.

I have to disagree that high MOI works for everyone. I have an arc stroke and a high MOI putter just doesn't work for me, I miss everything right.

Also, I think a putter fit for your stroke will be easier to keep on plane since it will rotate with your stroke and there is not fight between hands and clubhead

High MOI isn't exclusive to straight center shafted putters. Most high MOI lines come in a variety of designs that work for different strokes.

It's counterbalanced, but does the 2135 8.0 fall into the high MOI category? The blade is on the large side, and it's got a heavy head. That suits a slight arc stroke quite nicely, in my experience.

Going to drop this chart in here as well. It shows a good number of models to get an idea of various MOI in each

Putter_MOI_Comparison.png

Bumping this because it's the first time I have been genuinely interested in the new Cure models.

That it's better than many large mallets, and on par or near level with high MOI mallets is a pretty impressive statistic to stand behind.

What makes me curious, is whether we'll end up seeing a plumbers neck Cure soon.

High MOI isn't exclusive to straight center shafted putters. Most high MOI lines come in a variety of designs that work for different strokes.

I understand that and all center shafted putters are not high MOI. It also depends on whether you are talking MOI at impact or MOI during the stroke. I don't miss the center very often so a high MOI at impact doesn't provide much benefit. My stroke arcs and requires a putter that rotates so I need an MOI value that only allows the putter to rotate a certain amount, High MOI putters don't have the right rotation for my stroke.

CURE's website has some really good videos on High MOI.( http://cureputters.com/pages/videos ) This has peaked my interest into looking at their putters. Going to find a shop in town to see if I can roll some. Like cnosil said, High MOI may not be for everyone.

That it's better than many large mallets, and on par or near level with high MOI mallets is a pretty impressive statistic to stand behind.

Why do you think that is an impressive statistic to stand behind? If a High MOI putter doesn't work for you, it just means that I should avoid that putter at all costs.

Great thread. Some good info in here and thoughts. I games my first high moi putter last year with the cute rx1. The high moi is one aspect that helped my game. The confidence I had from 8-15' with it was something I hadn't felt before and any of my 3 putts were usually from long first putts and being scared and ended up leaving some short.

after working on my putting I went away from the cure but did realize I like a heavier putter.

Why do you think that is an impressive statistic to stand behind? If a High MOI putter doesn't work for you, it just means that I should avoid that putter at all costs.
I think it shows that high moi can come in a touch more traditional package. Also while I agree with you about the rotational requirements of a stroke I also think many could benefit from High MOI fact is not many people hit the center all that much/have a repeatable putting stroke.

I do question how much is to much and is there a point of diminishing returns. As you said the stand odyessy takes on the subject is if you get to high MOI it can cause putts to miss right. I am honestly not sure how I feel about that statement as I have not seen it with my own eyes. With all that said I do think everyone requires something different in a putter. For some it will be ego driven like many other bag choices which is fine and for some they will put what is truly best in the bag.

I think where I am going with the above is I think everyone should experiment with a variety of models and also get fit by a GREAT putter fitter that understands what different Putters do.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I think where I am going with the above is I think everyone should experiment with a variety of models and also get fit by a GREAT putter fitter that understands what different Putters do.

100% agree with the above. I wish golf shops and fitters took advantage of technology like they do with drivers and irons. Launch Monitors have given people insight into how fitting can improve your performance. Although some would argue that chasing numbers isn't really an optimal approach either. I would love to seem more Puttlab or TOMI type systems used to show people how the design characteristics of a putter can influence the stroke. We are even seeing home systems like swingbyte and the ping app that measure your stroke. The only problem with those is understanding what is being measured.

With long clubs a few degrees of difference in face angle may mean i am on the left or right side of the fairway. But with putting 1* will mean I missed a 10 foot putt.

It's not offense to you or anyone, really.... but I don't think a blanket statement like that is valid any more than the statement of "GI irons don't work for me" High MOI is not a singular concept. It's found in many designs across the spectrum.

Well, unless you're trying to work the ball with your putter. Then I can imagine it would be a disaster.

It's not offense to you or anyone, really.... but I don't think a blanket statement like that is valid any more than the statement of "GI irons don't work for me" High MOI is not a singular concept. It's found in many designs across the spectrum.

Well, unless you're trying to work the ball with your putter. Then I can imagine it would be a disaster.

I wasn't offended and didn't take offense. I think this type of discussion is very educational and will possible open a persons eyes to why equipment is manufactured the way it is. I think HIGH MOI is a singular concept, MOI isn't. MOI for my discussion is about how much the putter rotates during the stroke. With that in mind, I need to find the MOI value that works for me.

Lets think about a stroke that has a lot of arc. A high MOI putter will resist opening on the way back and will resist closing on the way forward. This is why I miss right, I can't get the putter to close. I prefer a putter with less MOI so that it opens and closes in a manner that keeps the putter perpendicular to the path my putter travels. If I have less arc in my stroke, a High MOI putter makes more sense because there is less need to open and close the putter.

The follow up to that is why not have a theoretical SBST stroke and then High MOI would be beneficial. For me, I see the line of the putt best when I stand off the ball. This reduces any issues I might try to compensate for if stood in a position that didn't allow me to see the correct line. Also, along the adage of swing your own swing, I have tendencies with my putting stroke and i have chosen to work with those tendencies rather than try to change my tendencies to fit a particular putter.

I wasn't offended and didn't take offense. I think this type of discussion is very educational and will possible open a persons eyes to why equipment is manufactured the way it is. I think HIGH MOI is a singular concept, MOI isn't. MOI for my discussion is about how much the putter rotates during the stroke. With that in mind, I need to find the MOI value that works for me.

Lets think about a stroke that has a lot of arc. A high MOI putter will resist opening on the way back and will resist closing on the way forward. This is why I miss right, I can't get the putter to close. I prefer a putter with less MOI so that it opens and closes in a manner that keeps the putter perpendicular to the path my putter travels. If I have less arc in my stroke, a High MOI putter makes more sense because there is less need to open and close the putter.

The follow up to that is why not have a theoretical SBST stroke and then High MOI would be beneficial. For me, I see the line of the putt best when I stand off the ball. This reduces any issues I might try to compensate for if stood in a position that didn't allow me to see the correct line. Also, along the adage of swing your own swing, I have tendencies with my putting stroke and i have chosen to work with those tendencies rather than try to change my tendencies to fit a particular putter.

I think you're misunderstanding the concept of MOI (as in moment of inertia/contact, not moment of stroke). I've done a bit of reading, and can draw this image from an article on GolfWorks.

MOICHRT1.gif

MOI is generated in this sample by weight (and not design)... Suggesting that heavier putters -- seemingly regardless of design -- improve MOI in putters. That is interesting and validates some of the tank designs that use blade model putters.

You're pretty focused on design as a driver of MOI in total, but I think there's a lot more to it than that. Your same bladed putter in a 'tank' or 'heavy' model is going to have higher MOI based on research than a regular weighted blade of the same design... Both would have similar gating and toe hang profiles.

Back