Selecting Graphite Shafts In Irons

buckeyewalt

Reaction score
Handicap
I posed this same question on another topic when it should have been placed here.

With all of the different graphite shafts available for irons, how do you choose which is the best one? With steel you can kind of look at the torque, weight, bend point to get an idea how the shaft will play. With graphite, it's totally different. Other than going to a fitter, how do you tell which shaft is right for you? Also, the difference between brands.

I posed this same question on another topic when it should have been placed here.

With all of the different graphite shafts available for irons, how do you choose which is the best one? With steel you can kind of look at the torque, weight, bend point to get an idea how the shaft will play. With graphite, it's totally different. Other than going to a fitter, how do you tell which shaft is right for you? Also, the difference between brands.

Truthfully without getting fit, you choose the same way you would for steel. Another option is some companies have online fitting tools.

I'd would say having a live fitting is the best.

I agree o with you on the fitter. However I know how I play and what my basic fit is in steel. I can't apply those same parameters to graphite though.
With steel, you can basically have the same torque and weight and it would be almost the same from every steel manufacturer. With graphite, the same parameters that you applied with steel would definitely not work. With steel you could have a shaft with a weight of 95 gr., torque 2.2, and it wouldn't vary too much from manufacturer to manufacturer, however, the equal counter part in graphite would be weight of 45gr. and a torque of 5.0 and that varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Maybe I'm putting too much into this, but where I live in a rural area, the closest fitter is about 2 hours away from me, so a lot of times, I just get the shafts and have him put it in or get his opinion on it. I guess I want something simple and it's not going to be.

In my opinion torque does little to impact ball flight in todays shafts and more on feel (at amateur skill levels) (and a shared opinion by a number of people in shaft creation)
The major difference between the two is that weight CAN impact flex in steel, but weight does not have to impact flex in graphite.

In my opinion torque does little to impact ball flight in todays shafts and more on feel (at amateur skill levels) (and a shared opinion by a number of people in shaft creation)
The major difference between the two is that weight CAN impact flex in steel, but weight does not have to impact flex in graphite.

Now that makes total sense to me. Thank you for the response!

Now that makes total sense to me. Thank you for the response!

Hope it helps.
Another option would be either the monthly UST drawing or The HandCrafted Experience later this year.
Both of those will give you all the insight you need and then some.

Hope it helps.
Another option would be either the monthly UST drawing or The HandCrafted Experience later this year.
Both of those will give you all the insight you need and then some.

Being a newbie, I didn't know about the monthly UST drawing or the Handcrafted Experience. I'll look forward to entering both. A lot of cool things here!

I've been through this journey. Due to some arthritis I switched to graphite a year ago. Had a lot of fun trying lots of shafts but it was expensive.

I believe weight is the first factor you should pay attention to......whatever weight your comfortable with in steel, try graphite shaft with a similar weight. Too heavy will feel boardy/stiff and you'll lose distance - and too light will feel whippy, cause dispersion issues, and probably affect your transition at the top.

Flex is the next factor to consider. Some graphite shaft play stiff to flex (Steelfiber), and other play to flex (Recoil). You can scan this forum and read users feedback to get an idea.

Lastly look at the shaft bend point. What bend point is right to support the ball flight you desire?

I found that torque values provided very little help in finding the right fit.

I went from 110g steel to UST Recoil 110 and am very happy.

LB

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks LB, although I'm not having any medical issues, I see the advantages of graphite. Like you, it will be fun trying out different shafts, however, I'm trying to minimize the expense part. In the past, I have played to an S flex but this last time when I was fit for my irons (AP1), the fitter put me in R flex +1 hard step which was new for me. I promptly lost about a club length although my dispersion was not affected too much. Several guys at the club here have graphite shafts and I tried some of them, some good some bad results. I bought a single Wilson C200 7 iron which is my test club. I'm going to try several different shafts and then decide on the one that suits me best. I like my launches mid-high so I was only referring the torque levels to my launch preferences.

Thanks for your insight!

Selecting Graphite Shafts In Irons

Buckeyewalt,
What steel shaft do you like ?

Last edited:
I got fit and now have matched shafts throughout my irons and wedges. I am now loving them.

Buckeyewalt,
What steel shaft do you like ?

Currently playing TT XP-95 in R flex +1. I have tried the DG but the launch was lower than what I like. Never tried a KBS before although a lot of people like the performance of it. I tried their on-line fit and they put me into a Tour V R flex.

I suggest you begin your search with Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Reg. Great shaft. If you feel the need to tighten it up after testing, then hard-step it once.

Greatgolfshafts.com is excellent to deal with - Breck Edwards is the owner.

Good luck.

LB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back