Callaway Apex Hybrid Review Thread

How much should I consider dropping my adored X2H 5 hybrid for the Apex?

That depends on the player. I loved the X2Hot, but this one is easier for me to flight and still plenty of forgiveness in the 5.

I finally tried one of these and was hitting the 20° 3H with the KK 80H shaft extremely straight with a great ball flight, definitely "controlled" as per their specs but extremely forgiving. I usually can't stand 3H's but this one just worked and the (slightly) heavier shaft than I've had in a hybrid (since my Ping G25's back in 2012) didn't seem to bother me at all.

Based on the ball flight outdoors today, It could definitely replace my X2Hot 19° 5W this year - ohhhh you can order these 1° flat too, nice.

I'm not sure how it will fit in or get along with my XR 5h and X2H 4h (I get better results with the X2H 4h better than the XR 5h for some reason - probably shafts). My OCD tendancies urge me to have all my hybrids set up exactly the same.

I will be hitting these on Friday with my fitter and am looking forward to it. I've hit the 3h or 4h at a store with a crappy monitor; I liked the feel of it and am really looking forward to seeing what numbers I get with a 3h and/or 4h on a nice monitor and hopefully some shaft options to try.

Apex 5Hybo is ordered. I can't wait to get this one in play and share my thoughts. Based on the yardage gap i'm seeing between my 6i and D9, this will fill that spot perfect i have a feeling.

Had my Apex 4h out on the range today and put it up against my Wilson D-100 4h and a friend's X2 hot 4h. I have been a little unsure about this club, but putting it up against those two today really showed me how good it actually is. It wasn't quite as point and shoot as my SGI Wilson hybrid, but it wasn't far off either, and was actually fairly close to the X2 hot in terms of performance from what I was seeing. I could feel some shots going way out on the toe but wasn't seeing the ball flight I'd expect from such a miss, and boy can this club elevate the ball. I was somewhat afraid I wouldn't be able to game this one long term after the last time out, but it is squarely in the bag after today.

I am nearly confident that I'll be leaving an Apex 4 hybrid in the bag for the majority of the season in replacement of my 4 iron.

The 2 hybrid isn't totally sold on design because they are so minimal, but I also plan to try switching to the heavenwood in that location so it's not a big deal. It's more (to me) about the benefit of the 4 vs 4.. I assume I'll hit it at 23 a bit further than I'd hit a typical 4 iron (at 22.5 degrees) but that's not a huge problem. At 210 yards I am not terribly concerned about being dead accurate.

What I love about this, is how much it plays like an iron. Can add or remove loft or work the ball with ease, and the sound isn't anything that I'd relate to a wood which is important. Along with that, the profile is so minimal that I tend to swing it more like an iron (down a bit more) and I like that a lot as well.

This is the closest I've ever been to dumping my 4 iron and I'm really looking forward to seeing how that works out.

I am nearly confident that I'll be leaving an Apex 4 hybrid in the bag for the majority of the season in replacement of my 4 iron.

The 2 hybrid isn't totally sold on design because they are so minimal, but I also plan to try switching to the heavenwood in that location so it's not a big deal. It's more (to me) about the benefit of the 4 vs 4.. I assume I'll hit it at 23 a bit further than I'd hit a typical 4 iron (at 22.5 degrees) but that's not a huge problem. At 210 yards I am not terribly concerned about being dead accurate.

What I love about this, is how much it plays like an iron. Can add or remove loft or work the ball with ease, and the sound isn't anything that I'd relate to a wood which is important. Along with that, the profile is so minimal that I tend to swing it more like an iron (down a bit more) and I like that a lot as well.

This is the closest I've ever been to dumping my 4 iron and I'm really looking forward to seeing how that works out.

YESSSSS! YES! YES.

I knew you'd love these, SO versatile, but not sacrificing distance or accuracy. These things are wicked.

What shaft are you playing Dan?

I haven't played a hybrid in years. No idea which way I should be looking. I love the Project X LZ HC in my driver and my Alidla Tour Green in my 3Deep.

What shaft are you playing Dan?

I haven't played a hybrid in years. No idea which way I should be looking. I love the Project X LZ HC in my driver and my Alidla Tour Green in my 3Deep.

The Kuro Kage 80 stiff in it.

I like the flight quite a bit (although it's pretty low off the deck) but I am not sold that I am getting the best spin numbers for my preference.. Maybe 500-1k more than I would want.

Had a demo 3h on the course today. I love the sound and feel of it. Botched a couple good opportunities with it, but I hit it nice and high. Ponder mode fully activated.

So I'm about to order one of these in 5H form after my 3rd test drive with the 3H/5H. Gonna hold off on a 3H at this point but I am definitely wanting to replace my XR 5H with the Apex 5H. My primary miss with the XR is the dreaded snapper that goes a mile high and then turns left hard into the trees/jail. I do not have this issue with my X2H 4H (aldila blue s) so something about the XR is not working for me.

The only issue I have left at this point is shafts. My outdoor range/course/store place only had the 5H in KK 80 R (which on Cally's website says 69 grams but on Mitsu's it says 80 grams for some reason).

If the 80 S is just the tiniest bit stiffer and lower that would be perfect - but I wanted to make sure as I wasn't able to get one in hand. My driver SS is right at 100 and 6 iron at 82 - I ain't gettin' younger so I have no desire for anything even remotely boardy at this point.

So is the 80 S okay or should I stick with the 80 R? I hit right to left naturally so I try to control that as much as possible (even if I lose a few yds).

I really can't wait to try these out, so many good reviews on here. I will say, the Apex is going to have to be pretty amazing because my XR Pro has proven time and again to be consistent and long. Keep up the great reviews everyone!

Oh, hi, broken record here.....haha

These hybrids continue to astound me. Seriously. The look is something I honestly NEVER thought I would like or get used to profile wise based on what I have always migrated to in hybrids, but dammit these are so versatile for me its spooky. I get a high launch that I adore from the tee and the deck with the shaft pairing in mine, but my favorite thing might be that I can knockdown the crap out of the 4hy when I need to. Not quite Wardy stinger, but its nice! :alien:

5h will be here this week. Hopefully in time for 18 at Los Colinas

Stoked to see all the love for this club. I have had mine for a few months now and this thing just bombs off the tee. I find myself playing this and my BB 816 3W the most. Driver has even been left out of my bag as of lately.

Hi guys! Have room for one more in the club?

d375c3521f3d4cd245360212bfa326cb.jpg

That exact club was lethal for me today on 2 par 3s.

Hit a Apex hybrid for the first time over the weekend and hit it very well and think it is a fantastic hybrid. Will it kick my x2hots out, probably not yet but if I ever change I will give these another look

That exact club was lethal for me today on 2 par 3s.

I'm hoping for the same. D9 is great, but a little too much club on longer par 3's. This one fits the gap nicely

From my tour notes.

At the Par-5 13th on Thursday, Lefty used it from 251 yards out and put it inside of 3-feet to set up an eagle. And during the morning coverage, he could be heard saying “I love this hybrid” to his caddie, Jim Mackay.

I think it might be time to replace the X2Hot Pro I have in the bag not sure if I wanna do 2 hybrids or just get a 3H and keep the X-utility I have in the bag currently. But I'll be sure to give these a try.

Looking forward to your feedback GD, because I have seen you rip a hybrid.

I do love my hybrids. just don't want it to create a huge gap at the top of the bag. may have to go 23 instead of 20.

First round in the bag yesterday with this one and it's not leaving the bag. I thought the X2Hot Pro Hydrid was the best, but this one beats that one hands down.

I had a few shots into the wind yesterday and the distance was there and is forgiving. I also love the head shape at address. Not too big and not to compact.

First round in the bag yesterday with this one and it's not leaving the bag. I thought the X2Hot Pro Hydrid was the best, but this one beats that one hands down.

I had a few shots into the wind yesterday and the distance was there and is forgiving. I also love the head shape at address. Not too big and not to compact.
This excites me and really makes me want to go give these a whirl.

Back