NorCal Crew Outing (19-20MAR)

I'm not volunteering but I do think someone ought to reach out to the courses and see if the dates we chose are actually available.

That might help us start planning.

Just checked Poppy website and they are wide open from 7:20 to Noon on Sunday the 20th. We can book 90 days out there, so doesn't look like an issue for a Sunday round. I can book a 4some when we figure out a time.

Bayonet/blackhorse tee times are limited. Looks like only early morning and after 5pm open for Saturday. If anybody wants to call and check tomorrow morning go for it, otherwise I will call when I get done with my round (about 2pm or so). If we get it in with the rain... If not I will be calling earlier.

Honestly if we get 2 tee times (8 people) for 2 rounds I will be impressed. There might be a couple idiots like myself that will play 54, but from reading this there will be a few that can sneak out for 18 one of the 2 days. I would also be fine with a day trip to Poppy if that is what works out for tee times.

If Bayonet/BH is too packed, there are plenty of other options around here we can check out! I'm more than willing to do the leg work since I'm in the area. It sounds like Poppy is pretty much a lock and there may be better options on Saturday. I have no problem looking at other courses so whatever the majority wants, I'm cool with.

Last edited:
Let's lock in Poppy for Sunday. Saturday we can do both Black Horse and Bayonet or just one. I've played both and I enjoyed Black Horse more. Plus it looked better IMO. I'm so looking forward to this! Hopefully the weather is decent by then.

I think if we are to ever have a rematch of NorCal v SoCal, it's going to have to be in the Pismo area. I'm kind of surprised there aren't more people interested. There was a decent sized group of guys representing NoCal just a year and a half ago.

I think if we are to ever have a rematch of NorCal v SoCal, it's going to have to be in the Pismo area. I'm kind of surprised there aren't more people interested. There was a decent sized group of guys representing NoCal just a year and a half ago.

It is pretty surprising Tim. There are a ton of golfers in NorCal too. I mean every time I go play the courses are usually packed.

I was just looking through the Norcal thread from a couple of years ago, and I don't see alot of those guys around anymore. I can kind of understand why THP was a little hesitant about the number of events and the number of representatives from California that would be interested in participating. I can't believe we didn't have enough for the regional rivalry either.

I was just looking through the Norcal thread from a couple of years ago, and I don't see alot of those guys around anymore. I can kind of understand why THP was a little hesitant about the number of events and the number of representatives from California that would be interested in participating. I can't believe we didn't have enough for the regional rivalry either.

Guys like me have been lame in not making it to any events. I'm on spring break March 19th or 20th with my family so this event is a no go as well. I'm a couple years away from being much more flexible as two of my three kids will be off to college and my wife will probably be retired. Raising 3 kids while having a wife that travels 150 days a year for work certainly keeps me busy!

Alright, the Poppy Hills tee times are reserved! 9 AM on 3/20 for *12. I'll get to work on Bayo/BH now :D

Toss me onto the Maybe list. I need to start looking at my schedule to get the dates locked down.

I'd also like to suggest Rancho Canada as an alternative to Bayonet/Black Horse since the tee times at the latter are limited on 3/19.

http://www.ranchocanada.com/

The rates are cheaper than Bayo/BH as well. If you all think this is a good idea, I'll give them a call to see what tee times they have available on that day.

I just looked at the video tour of the West course. It looks fun and challenging. I'd be up for it as an alternative.

Any interest in flopping Poppy for the 19th, as they have a bunch of slots available from 11:30am to 12pm, then play Pacific Grove on Sunday also around 11:30am as there a few slots available then. Pacific Grove is only $69. Plus with the later starting time, gives guys a little time to make the drive. Just a suggestion. I have never played Pacific Grove and have heard it's a pretty good track. Maybe latter in the spring or yearly summer we can hit Bayonet/Blackhorse.

Tim -
Why 11:30 starts both days? Are you thinking this is better for those that might be driving in those mornings? Personally, I like the earlier start Sunday due to our 2.5 hour drive back home. I've wanted to play Pacific Grove so that's an option. I hear one side is ordinary but back 9 is spectacular.

Any interest in flopping Poppy for the 19th, as they have a bunch of slots available from 11:30am to 12pm, then play Pacific Grove on Sunday also around 11:30am as there a few slots available then. Pacific Grove is only $69. Plus with the later starting time, gives guys a little time to make the drive. Just a suggestion. I have never played Pacific Grove and have heard it's a pretty good track. Maybe latter in the spring or yearly summer we can hit Bayonet/Blackhorse.

Tim -
Why 11:30 starts both days? Are you thinking this is better for those that might be driving in those mornings? Personally, I like the earlier start Sunday due to our 2.5 hour drive back home. I've wanted to play Pacific Grove so that's an option. I hear one side is ordinary but back 9 is spectacular.

Rob you're correct about PG. The front 9 is the ordinary side, and I wouldn't call the back 9 spectacular, but you basically have a view of the ocean the entire back side. At the end of the day though it is just a muni course and I didn't find it terribly impressive.

Since the time at Poppy is already secured I think we should just keep that one and adjust the numbers as necessary. It's looking more and more like Bayo/BH isn't going to be an option on Saturday so if everyone agrees on PG we can do that or find another option. Laguna Seca is another course that's fun and I want to say the rates are about the same as PG. Check it out: http://www.lagunasecagolf.com/!

My vote is to keep the Sunday plans and try for Rancho Canada West for Saturday. My first choice is the Ft. Ord courses Saturday but those seem filled. I'm good for 36 Sat but would prefer 18.

Go ahead and move me into the confirmed section in the opening post.

I haven't played any of these courses being mentioned as alternatives but I love playing new courses so I'm in.

This sounds and looks like a good time

My vote is to keep the Sunday plans and try for Rancho Canada West for Saturday. My first choice is the Ft. Ord courses Saturday but those seem filled. I'm good for 36 Sat but would prefer 18.

Go ahead and move me into the confirmed section in the opening post.

Done! And I would rather play Bayo/BH but unless something opens up we may be SOL. I'm going to give them a call tomorrow though to see if there's still a chance to get in there. I'm with you on the RC West course as well if Bayo/BH don't workout.

I haven't played any of these courses being mentioned as alternatives but I love playing new courses so I'm in.

Of the ones I've mentioned I think Rancho Canada or Laguna Seca will be more fun than Pacific Grove, but that's just me.

Alright, I found out there's a tournament on Bayonet the weekend of 3/19-3/20 so the limited tee times on Black Horse are all that's available. I think we'll be better off going with one of the other courses we discussed these last few posts. Let me know what you guys think!

Now that would be one heck of business trip
I'm sure your talents could be put to good use here on the West coast. :act-up:

As of now, I'm not sure which day I will be able to join you guys. Any of the courses that have been mentioned look like they would be a blast to play.

Back