Marketing/Manufacturers Claim

cnosil

Reaction score
Thinking about the fix this this company, shaft marketing, bobby grace vs. piretti, and comments in other threads I wanted to get peoples perspective on golf manufacturers claims.

Do you take them at face value or try to understand the complete picture? We see ads on TV and in magazine that tell us we will make more putts, be 10 yards longer, fix your slice, allow you to get up and down from any lie, etc. You may even see some scientific evidence or a recognizable person endorsing the product. Do you think companies are like Progressive and tell you when they aren't the best? Think about drivers, woods, irons, wedges, putters, balls, shoes, everything golf. Everyone seems to say their product is better and have some reason to say that it is.

Does a particular companies claim seem more believable than another? Does the size of the company matter? Or who they have on their tour staff?

Marketing matters. I like commercials. Commercials make me want to buy stuff. I do think that the "claims" get verified or exposed by the fine reviewers here at The Hackers Paradise. I trust them, even though they won't return my phone calls.

I do not think any one company makes better equipment than any other, I do think that some companies do a better job of making me want their equipment.

I don't look at claims... I try it or trust reviews and go with that...

I assume that everything they're saying is mostly true........for someone. Is that someone me? Maybe, maybe not. For me advertising plays a very small part in what I buy/purchase. Especially for hobbies. Toys have to prove their value for me. I don't have a big enough toy budget to buy things on a whim (well not golf club priced things) so for me to put anything in my bag means I have to get it passed the checkout, and to make it that far, I had better be impressed with it, and with my results with it.

Advertising will show me things I might want to try, but for me to shell out $$$ each item has to earn it's spot. Tryouts are brutal.....:alien:

I take it all with a grain of salt, what works for a robot or a tour pro are light years away from my results and I judge all gear on the personal experience of a dude named Trout Bum.

Although I sure there is valid testing and research to back the major OEM claims, I also take what they tell me in advertisements with a grain of salt. I put more credence in the words of THPers because I know their game is much more similar to mine than is the ball striking and abilities of the tour pro's and the robots.

You have to take the advertising with a grain of salt.

If I didn't I would have a Hammer and an OverSpin Putter in my bag, as well as every gizmo that claims to cut strokes. Heck, with the right combination your score could be in the negatives every time out.

I think it is all b.s. for the most part. Every company is a bit over the top if you asked me. I like that THP goes in depth to cut through the b.s. and get to the why this equipment could improve my game or enhance my experience.

I take the marketing at face value which makes me a sucker I guess.

I also ask the question "Why not?" If a club doesn't do what the manufacturer says it should do, or if a club can't even outperform its own predessecor in any way.

Rightly or wrongly I try to judge clubs relative to their marketing. Does it do what they say it should do? The more they are pumped up and hyped, the more I want to see some of the gains/advantages they are marketing.

Like many others, I take the claims with a grain of salt. What means more to me is how the club feels in my hands as well as the aesthetics. But it does seem like golf club marketing and the claims they're making are getting more and more grandiose.

I don't pay much attention to the marketing claims. What works and performs for one may not work for me. I like to use the reviews from the THP staff writers and other members feedback to help me narrow down choices, but I usually go test several clubs as well.

If all the claims in distance gains in drivers over the past 15 years were true, I'd be driving the ball 800 yards...........

I'll leave it at that.

There are certain specs that the manufacturers have to meet before introducing them to the market/tour. After that it's all marketing. What works for Rory or Jordan, probably won't work for me. Website marketing is just that, reviews are good to look at but in the end, I'm probably going to try out some products and will decide what feels right for me. I know what my current equipment feels like but I won't switch for a pretty new face if it doesn't perform. Performance is my bottom line.

Marketing just gets me interested. The clubs have to perform and if they don't, future marketing is a waste of time!

I take it all with a grain of salt, what works for a robot or a tour pro are light years away from my results and I judge all gear on the personal experience of a dude named Trout Bum.

When you boil all the flash away, this ^^^^^ is the ONLY way to get down. What the factory tells me about their product is what is likely to influence me taking the time to try it.

JM

Back