Driver Shaft Length - Cut It or Choke Down?

Pringles

waywardpoints
Reaction score
Handicap
Hey guys I am currently having an issue with missing off the toe with my driver. I am not consistently hitting the middle of the face when I hold the club at the butt end. I have noticed that I am getting closer to the sweet spot when I choke down on my driver but again I am not consistent with my hand placement. I want to cut down my driver shaft from 45" to 44" but I have never done it and I don't want to ruin my Oban shaft. Wondering if I can get the same effect if I just choke down to the same spot every time or just cut that shaft? Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Choke down to begin, but you might want to pop the grip off and put a little bit of extra tape or something as a consistent length reminder. That seems like it might be a cheaper experiment and a lot easier to fix if you don't like it.

Choke down to begin, but you might want to pop the grip off and put a little bit of extra tape or something as a consistent length reminder. That seems like it might be a cheaper experiment and a lot easier to fix if you don't like it.
Yea that's a solid idea Wardy. I think I'll start there and see how it goes.

I have a shaft being delivered in the next few days that will play at 45.5" instead of my regular 45". I already have plans on marking the 45" mark on the grip with a sharpie and trying it both ways prior to just cutting off 1/2" upon arrival.

What length are you playing now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I play all my drivers at 44.25-44.5 minus my new HZDRUS that is at 45". I find myself choking down almost automatically.

What length are you playing now?

It's at 45" but I was really thinking about playing at 44". I was hitting balls today and squaring then up so well choked down!

I don't think you get the same effect by choking down.
However, when you do cut it down your swing weight will change.
You have to lighten the grip or more likely add weight to the head to get the same swing weight if that is what you desire.
I cut mine from 45.5 to 44.25 and it helped tremendously.
I had to add about 4.5gms to the head.
Additionally if you don't like the length you can easily add an extension albeit you might be going through replacing grips each time.

if you are ok with choking down then do that but if you decide to cut it I wouldnt cut down to 44 but split the difference at 44.5.

if you are ok with choking down then do that but if you decide to cut it I wouldnt cut down to 44 but split the difference at 44.5.

I second this. You will likely choke down a little anyway even after the shaft is cut.

It's at 45" but I was really thinking about playing at 44". I was hitting balls today and squaring then up so well choked down!

Follow Wardys advice, do some testing gripping down. Dr. Scholls foot spray is great sub for impact tape. There is good research that would tell you to play a long driver and a short driver. Figure out what length puts you in the center of the face most often then butt trim and re-grip. You might have to add some head weight back after shortening the shaft to maintain swing weight.

Cut it down. I've cut many down. It will change the SW but only you will know if that matters. If it does, you can add weight down the shaft or find a lighter grip. I play a super short driver but it was custom order to keep the SW.

I say choke down. Lydia Ko, Brooke Henderson(uses 48" driver and she is 5'4") are two examples of players I see choke down on every club.

Since choking up was working so well, it would appear to be an easy decision to choke down until you are sure. I would experiment with how far to choke down. Good luck regardless of what you decide!

i agree with most, just choke down. if you are comfortable and it doesn't screw with your head to choke down, that seems like the easiest fix. i find it a little odd that your miss is on the toe when you grip at the butt end; i would think if it's a length issue your miss would be in the heel. i'm too neurotic to successfully choke down; it changes the feel too much and i never have good results. definitely something i should work on getting more comfortable with.

Have to agree with the others, choke down first. If it helps wrap a few rubber bands around/at the length you think you want to cut off. It will be a cue to feel the length you think you might want to play at.

I don't hesitate to go ahead and chop it down. I've learned that 44.25 or 44.5 is much better for my game with minimal distance loss but much more consistency.

I always cut all my shafts down to 44.5" playing length. I just prefer them a little shorter. I don't concern myself with swing weight and all the other technical mumbo jumbo.

I don't hesitate to go ahead and chop it down. I've learned that 44.25 or 44.5 is much better for my game with minimal distance loss but much more consistency.
See that's what I'm looking for...distance is not an issue but consistency and more fairways is what I want.

See that's what I'm looking for...distance is not an issue but consistency and more fairways is what I want.

If it's not something that you've proved will work for you then a simple piece of tape can be applied to the grip so you make sure you grip below that. If you then see the improvement you're looking for then chop down for good. Adding length back on to the shaft isn't easy. :act-up:

This is what I was thinking in your case. If you find the center more often and dispersion is better, its an absolute no brainer, even if you lost 5 yards on average and 10 on your best possible.

did you find yourself finding the center more with the drivers at Top Golf that were shorter? (mine, I think Dereks too) Not that top golf swings are a great predictor of on course results....:alien:

This is what I was thinking in your case. If you find the center more often and dispersion is better, its an absolute no brainer, even if you lost 5 yards on average and 10 on your best possible.

did you find yourself finding the center more with the drivers at Top Golf that were shorter? (mine, I think Dereks too) Not that top golf swings are a great predictor of on course results....:alien:
The short shaft just feels better I guess. I feel that I know where the clubhead is through my whole swing.

Choked down will make the head much lighter than if you cut the shaft down. The shortened length and counterweight at the butt end will be a different swing weight than if you cut the shaft.

But by all means choke down to start and for a permanent solution, cut the shaft and add weight to the head. Like others said 44.5" is a good spot.

play with your forward thumb dirty for a few rounds. That way you get a dirt mark on the grip where you need to grab it while choking down. Or as Wardy said, you could put tape under the grip where you want it.

I don't think you get the same effect by choking down.
However, when you do cut it down your swing weight will change.
You have to lighten the grip or more likely add weight to the head to get the same swing weight if that is what you desire.
I cut mine from 45.5 to 44.25 and it helped tremendously.
I had to add about 4.5gms to the head.
Additionally if you don't like the length you can easily add an extension albeit you might be going through replacing grips each time.

I've played my drivers at 44.5" for the past 20 years and also prefer a little heavier swing weight which means all of mine have lead tape on the sole or back of the head. I appreciate my 815DBD having weight ports so I can just screw in a heavier weight rather than having to use lead tape. I'm going to shorten my Cobra LTD Pro driver this weekend and with that one I can unscrew the space port and add lead tape inside the head where it won't be easily seen. I love these new drivers!:act-up:

Last edited:
Back