What is the biggest factor for you when choosing a putter?

For me it is looks, if i don't like the way it looks I will never have confidence with it.

Looks and feel, which is all sound. Must be a blade as well. No mallets here.

Looks.

Staring down at a putter that fits your eye can only bolster your confidence. That confidence will resonate into your stroke.

Confidence in how it fits my stroke and how it feels, which translates to me into an ability to get the ball going in the right direction at the right speed. When I bought my center-shafted Ping CRAZ-e mallet ten years ago, I took a gift card to the local golf center and worked with one of the guys there Apparently not just a guy - he was their putter expert. He watched me putt several times with the one I had, measured me, and got me about seven putters - blades and mallets, some I had requested, and others I had not. He then left me alone for fifteen minutes, then came back and watched me hit each one several times. If I had gone with looks, I would have selected a Nike heel-shafted mallet putter. He said, "I could give you a long explanation which you wouldn't understand, but the best fit for your putting stance and stroke is the Ping. You are more consistent and more accurate with that putter, even though it may feel a little odd because of what you are coming from." I thought it was an ugly putter, but I took him at his word. My son still tells me how ugly it is, but I think it's beautiful.

Particular shape dictates what I look at. Then feel.

I would love to say feel off the face, but then I would be lying because I bought my Seemore and Machine without ever having held one in hand prior. Looks, hands down is the biggest factor. I just got lucky and LOVE the feel of my DB4 and M20.

Does it go where I intend for it to go? How consistent am I with regard to speed when I'm using it?

Not much else matters to me, but I have been driven away a few times by the looks of a putter alone.

For me it's the weight and balance of the putter...the heavier the better for me too. This keeps my hands/wrists out of the putting stroke, which in turn provides better feel. After weight/balance it would be the look. There are some ugly-ass putters available, and if they work for someone else, great, I just want something simple and non-polarizing.

Looks.

If it doesn't fit my eye, it doesn't matter what tech is in it, I'll never commit or get the most out of it.

If I hit the point I am aiming at ...

Don't really care the looks, but I need to be able to roll it where I am aiming it ... I had a putter I loved from the looks and brand standpoint ... but I would push right, then over correct to the left ... so the on course performance suked ... but it looked good and cost a lot ...

I just bought an expensive one. If it costs more it should work better, right?

Well, I'm sure my Ping works better than my Cameron, which is double the price of the former.

When I buy putters, I do a putting contest between my gamer and candidate replacement.

I start from 3 feet out and move farther until I can no longer hole it. Whichever putter makes more putts wins.

Looks and feel are also important, but performance is king.

The feel of the putter and then the looks.

Confidence based on visual alignment, balance and swing feel, how ball pops and rolls off face for my stroke. In the end it is me not the putter, but I can at least change the putter.

Back