How would you play this hole?

Hitting driver off the tee. I am not messing with that water on the right side of the green, so a 9 iron from there to about 100 yards. Take the 54 in from there.

Bottom of the face, low burner, off the driver.
Top a 4 hybrid about 50 yards.
Hit an iron fat, and just short of the green.
PM 60° prowess to 4 feet.
Par putt.

Most likely driver, mid/short iron layup to 115 yards, then gap wedge. The location of the pin will help me choose my second shot which will probably be 7 or 8 iron.

From the very back of the long tee box in the picture, it's 237 to clear the bunker..... 270 to the water on the left edge. I'm hitting driver right at the center of the bunker. Should leave me with a PW or less in. Even if I get in the bunker, it's only an 8 or 9 iron to the green. I want nothing to do with the trees.

https://course.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/course/course/grandnationallake/aerial.htm#

557 from the tips. My first thought it, this is a three shot hole unless there is a LOT of roll or playing downhill/downwind. You cut this distance in half and half 278, and I'm not sure I could reach much more than that, off the tee unless I smash it. It's not impossible, I can hit it that far or more with a good shot, but that's putting 2 perfect shots back to back. BEST case scenario, I can go driver, 3 hybrid and I might get there in two, however with those bunkers and how that looks to roll out to the right, I'd be better to make this a three shot hole. SO, thinking backwards, I'd like to hit a easy 58 into the green from about 100 yards, so off the tee I'm taking my 3 wood out to about 250-ish, then hitting my 5 iron up to around 100 yards for a full shot to the pin.

521 from the orange, makes this more of a Green light hole with a good tee shot and accessible pin placement. Driver off the tee should leave me around 250 to less, so depending on roll and distance off the tee, I'm hitting a easy 3 hybrid, down to maybe a 4 or 5 iron with a massive drive and some roll.

This hole looks like a deceptive Par 5 though. I'll be very happy with a 4 and satisfied with a 5.

Well, I likely would hit my first shot short of the bunker and pray that the pin placement is in the front of the green. That would leave me with either a 6 or 7 iron to the center of the green. I play from the whites so if Mward's distances are correct I could pull a 3 W, choke down on it a bit to clear the bunker and remain short of the water but that is being brave. Being brave often gets me in trouble.

RTJ Lake Course #8 Par 3

de97fcb218b7c0cc14cd188d6aac09d8.jpg

This hole will test the nerves. The whole front of the green is protected by a massive bunker. Water to the right.

Depending on Tee I am hitting a 4 or 5 iron. I definitely want to be on the right plateau of the green. Just look at that slope on front of green.

Last edited:
5I maybe hybo if the wind is up from oranges.

Otherwise 9/8 from whites

When the wind blows, I'm pretty sure it's moving at a good clip into you off that water. the good news is it will work the ball away from the drink. The bad news is it makes the hole a helluva lot longer. no real tricks here. visually intimidating, but lots of room to miss left and even long. take another club and trust it. 6i for me over the left side of the bunker with a soft draw that hopefully holds the green. not messing with anything right.

#8 I'm taking 5 iron left of the green and seeing if it fades a bit. I'm actually fine being short of it though. I can tell just looking at it, it's not a birdie hole for me haha.

On #6
White: 4W/8I or 9I into the green.
Orange: 1W/8I or 9I into the green.

On #7
White: 1W/9I/54*
Orange: 1W/6I/49*

Driver and let my partner put us in wedge range. Or driver 2 hybo, eagle out to go 7up

#8 from the back tees is a smooth 6 iron. Land it toward the front of the green and let it release.

#8 will depend on the wind. From 180 and no wind, will probably be a 7 iron that I am going to start on the left side of the green and hopefully not turn it over to far. If wind is up, then probably a 6 iron.

I thought I would change up the way I posted the image. I like on the website how they add a view into the green.

#7 Par 5 RTJ Lake Course

9037f722c843da9cb5fbcf5077a051b6.jpg

With only the fairway bunker to contest on my tee shot I am hitting driver. Getting into good position to give a shot at the green could be in the cards on #7. Shots right of the green appear to be death as the lake is right there. Tri-level green will add to some frustration on the green if your short game is not intact.

For #7, I'm playing it as a three shot hole, even from the whites. For me, getting greedy is a low percentage proposition, but getting into position for a good third shot still keeps birdie hopes alive.

JM

RTJ Lake Course #8 Par 3

de97fcb218b7c0cc14cd188d6aac09d8.jpg

This hole will test the nerves. The whole front of the green is protected by a massive bunker. Water to the right.

Depending on Tee I am hitting a 4 or 5 iron. I definitely want to be on the right plateau of the green. Just look at that slope on front of green.

For #8, high cut and the tee will determine the club. That comment about the front of the green being so much lower will make me consider taking an extra club depending on pin position. Being on the front when pin is back could leave a very long uphill and tricky putt.

JM

#8, at this point in the round I'm usually so beat up that the scenery of the lake doesn't really bother me. I'm just grabbing an iron and trying to get it over that bunker to the green complex somewhere. Typically I miss left with a 5-7 iron, leave a chip woefully short and 2 putt for an easy bogey while thinking about what I order to eat/drink at the turn.

#8 from orange either Divine 9 or 5I depending on pin position.
from Whites-anywhere from 6I-7I

So finishing up the front 9.

RTJ Lake Course #9
Par 4
3f5346d1aa96e40f7e063fb4a35caada.jpg

Depending on how close the trees come into play on the right by those fairway bunkers will determine my play. Probably laying up short of them leaving a longer iron into the green.

Whites: Driver-6I-ish
Whites: Driver-9I (or PW depending on pin)

#9 will depend on how far out those bunkers are. Driver if I can carry them, 3 or 5 wood if not. Should still leave a shorter iron in.

#8 depending on tees 4h or 5i from tips and 6i or 7i from one up. Depending how I am swinging will determine how aggressive I am here. My one concern is over cooking one and ending up in the drink.

#9 looks like driver and then short iron or wedge for 2nd shot. Depending on what tees playing from. As a shortish part 4, I would look at this as another birdie opportunity

I usually go driver here as there is not as much danger either side other than bunker. It plays back uphill towards clubhouse so may need an extra club on the approach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver from Orange 9I in

Heavenwood from whites 9I in

Back