Roger Cleveland Talks Callaway Wedges

I just watched this for my 3rd time and keep picking up new things each time.

I am shocked more people have not taken the time to watch the video. What a fascinating video from one of the all time greats in the industry.

I am shocked more people have not taken the time to watch the video. What a fascinating video from one of the all time greats in the industry.

Agreed, it was a really solid interview. 10mins flew by fast while watching it

I really need to see more about the Shamrock wedge before I replace my wedges now.... darnit. Finally thought I had figured out how to set stuff up, and a wrench gets thrown in.

Great interview Dean, some great Roger Cleveland knowledge getting dropped there. Would love to sit down and talk wedges with him, I can only imagine how my setup could change after talking with him.

What a great interview with RFC, one of golf's pioneers.

I am curious, when you get up into the 58* range, are you better off with MD3 or PM grind? Or does it depend on your frequency of opening up the face (in that case choose PM grind)?

I really want the PM grind. I keep picking it up at the golf store here to try and get used to the look. I need to get over the looks of it. I feel like it would be a great tool to have in the bag.

I've watched this a couple of times and it's clear Mr. Cleveland has forgotten more about wedges than I will ever know. What a tremendous source of information for us hackers!

Took me back to the bunkers at Cog Hill. Great interview with a LEGEND of golf. RFC is just awesome, his knowledge and ability to convey it to simpletons like myself is uncanny.

Not going to lie, I want a Shamrock...

Took me back to the bunkers at Cog Hill. Great interview with a LEGEND of golf. RFC is just awesome, his knowledge and ability to convey it to simpletons like myself is uncanny.

Not going to lie, I want a Shamrock...

That was such an awesome day.

I am curious, when you get up into the 58* range, are you better off with MD3 or PM grind? Or does it depend on your frequency of opening up the face (in that case choose PM grind)?

I would think that comes down to personal preference

Parts of this were almost like a rewind of our practice session with him at Cog Hill.

Quote of the year from Roger - "I'm fairly proficient at the short game."

Last edited:
That was such an awesome day.

To be honest, maybe the best 24 hours I have experienced, at least in quite a while. Started off the day at breakfast with RFC asking me and Aaron if he could join us for breakfast, then got a group short game lesson from RFC (plus SWAG!), played 18 holes (and won the match thanks to Ben!)@ Cog Hill before going off to Top Golf. Finally coming back to the hotel to see several people succumb to Malort while enjoying the company of THP/#ZooCrew.

Honestly can't think of how it could have gotten much better as I still use the short game techniques that were taught that day. This interview was a nice little reminder, and is just further motivation to get into the #Gauntlet again this year!

To be honest, maybe the best 24 hours I have experienced, at least in quite a while. Started off the day at breakfast with RFC asking me and Aaron if he could join us for breakfast, then got a group short game lesson from RFC (plus SWAG!), played 18 holes (and won the match thanks to Ben!)@ Cog Hill before going off to Top Golf. Finally coming back to the hotel to see several people succumb to Malort while enjoying the company of THP/#ZooCrew.

Honestly can't think of how it could have gotten much better as I still use the short game techniques that were taught that day. This interview was a nice little reminder, and is just further motivation to get into the #Gauntlet again this year!

That means more than you know brother.
It was a lot of fun for me seeing those smiles too.

Parts of this was almost like a rewind of our practice session with him at Cog Hill.

Quote of the year from Roger - "I'm fairly proficient at the short game."

Understatement of the year at that haha

I'm actually sad it was only 10. We joked, but I was really preparing for it to be 15-25 range. But he just answered a bunch of questions I had in my mind in longer answers.

Dean - Great interview! Great info re: bounce, the different grinds, and the differences among the Callaway wedge lines.
Shamrock - I will be checking that one out.

I thoroughly enjoyed this video. I hope I'm fortunate enough one day to talk with him in person. Living legend.

Pretty sure that old ping zing 2 lob wedge that is in the bag will giving way to a pm grind...lol

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Great interview! Really enjoyed listening to a living legend. I love how he dismisses differences in spin between the specially wedge shafts as "noise". I couldn't agree more. I'll be looking to add a couple Callaway wedges this year for certain.

Fantastic interview! Being one that has always struggled understanding bounce/sole/relief/grinds, it's always great listening to RFC share knowledge about why things are designed a certain way and how they are intended to work. Sure is funny how much fitting we can go through on various clubs but it *seems* that wedge fitting is an afterthought for many.

Thrilled you all are taking the time go watch this. Being that it's a little longer than most videos we shot.

Thrilled you all are taking the time go watch this. Being that it's a little longer than most videos we shot.

I'd listen to a lot of these guys talk for a whole lot longer than that. You guys got some great interviews this year, per usual.

Once Roger starts talking about wedges its easy to just sit back and listen to the master. you can almost see the way he is thinking when talking golf. Such a cool interview dude well done

Day 2 of watching this video finally pushed me over the edge. 60 degree Matte Black PM Grind with Acid Green grip is on the way.

I could listen to RFC talk wedges all day.

Then he could step into the bunker and work with me on sand shots some more.

Back