Head Phones / Ear Plugs in Competitive Play

ProZoneGolf

Clubmaker/Fitter
Reaction score
Handicap
Playing a local competitive round I was warned by a rules official that head phones are not allowed for a prolonged period of time.
I was wearing wireless headphones at the very busy range day 1 drowning out noise, and continued to wear them playing a hole or two listening to classical music intermittently .
At the touch of the ear pad I could turn them off/on quite often around the foursome, cart driving time and putting greens to keep hearing the players/game, by hole 3 I turned them off, yet kept them on my head.
They provided me my own world, ears warm, as others thought I was listening to music and did not engage me in any way...or feel they could.
Its was a competitive round and sometimes all you want to do zone out of other peoples interactions and concentrate on yourself. I know this sounds rude and I would never do it with a casual round. It was a way for me to retreat to myself and my game.

What is a prolonged period of time? (9 holes?), can wear them if no music is playing? what about ear plugs?

Rule 14-3a states that a player may not use any artificial device or unusual equipment that “might assist him making a stroke or in his play.” Listening to music or a broadcast while making a stroke or for a prolonged period might assist the player in his play, for example, by eliminating distractions or promoting a good tempo. Therefore, the use of an artificial device to listen to music or a broadcast, whether or not through headphones, while making a stroke or for a prolonged period of time during a stipulate round is a breach of Rule 14-3. However, it would not be a breach of Rule 14-3 for a player to listen to a device briefly, for example, to obtain the results of another sporting event or traffic information, while walking between the putting green of one hole and the teeing ground of another hole.
There is no restriction on listening to music or other broadcasts while practicing (whether on the practice ground or on the golf course, and whether by oneself or while playing with others), although club rules and disciplinary codes could apply in such circumstances.

I find if I don't wear my hearing aids, it eliminates most distractions.

I'm a musician. The USGA can't shut off the tunes I can get going in my head. :guitar:

I don't think you should wear headphones or ear plugs any time on the golf course. How are you going to hear someone yelling "fore"?

Good point perhaps you would not hear FOUR and could possibly endure a ball hitting you. To my point, blocking out sound can 'coocoon' you into your game...kinda like playing by yourself. Ear plugs ear muffs could achieve this. I see the ruling not specifically mentioning this, but only music/broadcast for a prolonged period of time...am I correct?

I did apologize for my use of headphones, however it got me looking at the ruling

I believe you are correct

What if you were listening to an instruction DVD or receiving a weather report broadcast from some body near the course. The reason we can't have headphones in is because, while you may not be listening to something illegal, somebody else may be. The reason why speakers on the cart aren't illegal is because everybody can hear it.

What if you were listening to an instruction DVD or receiving a weather report broadcast from some body near the course. The reason we can't have headphones in is because, while you may not be listening to something illegal, somebody else may be. The reason why speakers on the cart aren't illegal is because everybody can hear it.

Yes your correct, I can see exactly why...what about little rubber ear plugs to detach from the other competitive players?

Yes your correct, I can see exactly why...what about little rubber ear plugs to detach from the other competitive players?
Managing the distractions of other players is part of the game. I believe would be their answer. "Spirit of the Game" bulls--t. I'm not saying you're wrong or that we disagree. The rules of golf are not the bastion of rationality or conducive for making people want to actually golf.

I know in track and field it's banned (listening to music with headphones) as music is proven to help fatigue by up to 15%. So in effect music is performance enhancing.
There is like 6 layers to music and each effect the brain in different ways.
I'm sure a few would give you an advantage in golf as well.

Sent from my S6 edge

I like to listen to music while on the range and warming up before a non THP competition, but once I hit the first tee, they are off and I'm in focus mode. I hear what you are saying though, it's a good way to drown out the others, but if you're minds in the right spot, you should be fine.

If used during a round you are using an aide to block out others, giving yourself an advantage.

Listening to music with a certain tempo/pace could be construed as a swing aide which is not allowed to be used during a round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I were playing in any kind of serious competition, I would not wear them at all during the stipulated round, to avoid any question on the matter.

By your own admission, they were helping you drown out some of the distractions with which your competitors had to contend.

This should be banned as well.

I like to listen to music while on the range and warming up before a non THP competition, but once I hit the first tee, they are off and I'm in focus mode. I hear what you are saying though, it's a good way to drown out the others, but if you're minds in the right spot, you should be fine.

You should be able to accomplish this regardless ... it's like any other background noise, player, etc. It's all a part of golf. If you need to use earphones to accomplish this, then your not really focusing on the task at hand. IMO

You should be able to accomplish this regardless ... it's like any other background noise, player, etc. It's all a part of golf. If you need to use earphones to accomplish this, then your not really focusing on the task at hand. IMO
I'm not going to argue the speaker thing. That's 100% personal. I don't have a problem with it but I understand why some don't like it.

You skimmed the response YOU highlighted.... :eyepoke:

In some cases the competitors are the distractions...some try to get in your head, by looking like you cant hear, or wearing ear plugs they are less likely to engage you.

Hogan was reported to speak to no one, to be distant and aloof...he was in his world, he used discipline to not engage or even look at their shots.

The story is part of the Ben Hogan legend: How focused was he on the golf course? How deep in concentration was he? So focused that he once failed to notice when a fellow-competitor made a hole in one
The other golfer in Hogan's group stepped to the tee on a par-3 and knocked the ball right into the cup. The crowd went nuts. Hogan said nothing. Hogan then stepped to the tee and knocked his ball a foot from the cup.

"Nice shot," his fellow-competitor said. "Thanks," Hogan replied. "How was yours?"

What is a prolonged period of time? (9 holes?), can wear them if no music is playing? what about ear plugs?

My guess is that prolonged period of time isn't specifically defined. If you wore them without playing music, you could be questioned and have no proof that you weren't listening to music. Probably best to just not use them or have them on while playing a competitive round.

I also think that another interesting thing is that you can watch swing videos that you previously downloaded to your phone, but nothing you downloaded during the round.

I interpret the rule as saying using any kind of headphones/earbuds to avoid distractions on the course, whether you're playing music or not, was against rule 14-3. Being curious, I emailed the USGA to ask about it and they agree it is a breach of the rule.

I see them as an unfair advantage for a competitive round. I sort of view it the same way for running. You could in theory set a tempo/ routine for prolonged periods. Casual rounds are fine, obviously, but music is absolutely an aid IMO. I think if it is any longer than say... checking a voicemail then you could be asking for penalty.

I don't even wear earbuds when NOT playing so I don't have that problem. I always have music on when I'm working, but when I'm in motion it's off. Perhaps for safety.

I tend to play well when I have a song in my head, the song helps with the rhythm of the swing.

Golf is as much a mental game as it is a physical one, so dealing with distractions and maintaining rhythm are part of it.

I played in a match play tournament last Sunday and I usually hit the range and practice green with headphones in. I noticed I still had them in when I got on the first tee box and rushed to get them out from under my jacket.

I totally get why they are banned and have zero problem with it.

Good point perhaps you would not hear FOUR and could possibly endure a ball hitting you. To my point, blocking out sound can 'coocoon' you into your game...kinda like playing by yourself. Ear plugs ear muffs could achieve this. I see the ruling not specifically mentioning this, but only music/broadcast for a prolonged period of time...am I correct?

I did apologize for my use of headphones, however it got me looking at the ruling

Which is part of the reason why they are not allowed. Also the rhythm or beat can actually help you keep an even tempo in your swing, and that is an absolute no-no. As far as how long is "prolonged"? Your act of listening for 2 holes is definitely prolonged. Anything more than a few seconds could be a potential breach.

Back