Dealing with 'winter blues'

For me it's lot's of sim golf, vit D, and a winter vacation to somewhere warmer for some golf (like this thursday :banana:).
It gets me perked right up for the upcoming season which is right around the corner (about a month)

I tried to keep myself busy as much as possible. Before THP, I helped covered college basketball games and I found that made the winter fly by. Now that I am not covering games, I am trying to find other things to do - exercising, occasional SIM outing, THP as much as possible, still getting outside as much as possible and a trip to somewhere warm to just get a break from winter.

I have found that the older I get the less I can stand winter and the less patience I have sitting in front of a TV.. Moving south will happen, just don't know when. TV watching now usually has me doing something else at the same time - like putting or chipping.

I try to go south 1-2 times

and lots of sim sessions with thpers so far this year

And it helps that this year has been warmer than it has been in a LONG time

Weeks like this with the PGA Show certainly help ease the blues. Lots of pondering, lots or reading, lots of discussion.

I try to go south 1-2 times

and lots of sim sessions with thpers so far this year

And it helps that this year has been warmer than it has been in a LONG time

I will say this winter has been far easier to deal with then in recent years. We were able to play well into December and in just a couple of weeks will be playing in the THP Kickoff Classic. Really hasn't felt as long of a layoff as it has been the last couple of years.

For me its been drooling over equipment and putting/chipping practice indoors. Had 1 Sim session and hoping to get a few more in. The biggest struggle for me at this time of year is to not buy every club I lay eyes one.

I am on day 4 of refinishing a rifle stock. Tommorow I start a second one and bought some RIT dyes and will dye some golf balls. Come up with a custom color. That should eat up one more day.

My lack of playing & hitting the range usually manifests itself in the purchase of a bunch of new gear. I'm really trying to avoid that this year, though, as I've got way too many things to pay for with my kids (2 band trips, braces, etc).

I'm lucky to have a window right behind me at work, so I do get a lot of natural light during the day which I find helps a lot. My wife teaches in a windowless computer lab, and it definitely affects her during the time period where she leaves the house in the dark, teaches in a fully enclosed room, then drives home in the dusk.

Curious if anyone in the northern half of the US has the 'winter blues' or Seasonal Affective Disorder and how you go about making it better.
Lived in Buffalo, NY for six years. Saw a stat one year that out of the 365 days of the year, we had 60 total with minimal to no cloud cover. So essentially, we saw the sun one day out of every week.

My cure was to move.

Living in the UK means I can't guarantee how long the golf season will last at all but the last couple of years have been tough with my back injury

Badminton season runs from September through to March/April so normally I would be playing at the club and in matches but this has been severely reduced due to my injury, and it has only really been this last month that I have been able to play more

That helps to take my mind off golf, but I do still try to get to the range any chance I can

"Winter Blues"/SAD is about lack of Sun. I know as the seasons change and the days get shorter, I fall into kind of a funk. It is really a chore to get up when it is dark and come home from work when it is dark and work in a building with no windows. i don't do anything specific about it, just deal with it and wait for the days to start getting longer again.

I don't like dealing with the winter blues. I feel like I'm just really bored. It doesn't help that my job really slows down during the winter either. I got so sick of dealing with it this is my last winter in the north. I'm moving south on May 1st.

December was really bad for me. Between the not wanting to get up in the morning and eating lots of junk food it was a new low. Combined with a lot of stress at work the last two months it has really sucked. We're finally getting more light (almost an hour more since December) so at least I'm not driving home in the dark. If my instructor stopped cancelling my lessons because of the weather id be happier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am climbing the walls!!! Usually this time of year most time is spent snowboarding. I am a snowboard instructor at our local hill and a couple of travels are always planned. Golf club and golf mind are forced into the closet somewhere in November and released somewhere around April.

But this season started with really poor winter weather and when the winter finally came I was in a snow mobile accident. Fractured collarbone!! So no snowboarding for 6-8 weeks. So what can I do? No gym preparation för golf season is possible either.

Nothing is possible to do without breaking up the fracture again. My only comfort is NetFlix:)

In a couple of weeks or so I should be good enough for some putting excercise. Previous year I have been thinking on switching to crosshanded putting. Perhaps it's time to make that change this year.

I used to get the winter blues back in the UK (obviously our winters don't compare to what some folk here have to put up with, but they were still pretty miserable). Now I've moved to California, funnily enough, I no longer suffer.

If you have the room then something like an Optishot would be a good buy. If you have money to burn you can buy something a bit more, well, expensive.

I can play year round, but there's certainly no sunshine most of the time.
I get by with THP, all indoor house projects and renos, club demo-ing, club buying, and a vacation or two to a sunnier place.

It gets pretty damn gray, wet and chilly here in the winter. Key for me is to force myself to stay active. Running, working out, skiing, golfing when it's not too cold, and range work and indoor time when it is.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I dread winter more every year. As I get older my bones ache with the cold. I putt every day and tinker with clubs and grips. I don't really like hitting off mats at the dome but it's better than nothing, so I go there every other week or so. Since golf is my true passion I follow club releases and read a lot of golf books. A lot of THP time, as being attached to the golf community really helps my attitude. Take vitamin D and try to do some outside activities as often as possible. Doing nothing but tv really makes it worse.

I deal with it poorly to be honest. My THP time goes up, my activity levels go down, and I tend to become a bit of a recluse.

If lucky I have another month until golf season, if unlucky 2-3 months. Going out of my mind.

I'm definitely going to need to pickup a hobby for the winter. I used to ski but haven't gone in a few years. Something to pass the time. Luckily days are getting longer (sunset is after 5pm now). The combination of cold dark days and a seasonal slowdown at work was killer. I honestly don't think I've done anything at work for two weeks but stare at THP all day. We are sporadically working on our cabin but it's only weekends. Yesterday was the first day in three weeks. Felt like we took apart more that we had already done then new stuff (to fix moisture issues).

I'm definitely going to need to pickup a hobby for the winter. I used to ski but haven't gone in a few years. Something to pass the time. Luckily days are getting longer (sunset is after 5pm now). The combination of cold dark days and a seasonal slowdown at work was killer. I honestly don't think I've done anything at work for two weeks but stare at THP all day. We are sporadically working on our cabin but it's only weekends. Yesterday was the first day in three weeks. Felt like we took apart more that we had already done then new stuff (to fix moisture issues).
You and me both. Actually considering lacing em up and playing in some pick-up skates. It's been a few years though and I am really out of shape.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I buy golf stuff and post here. Helps me tremendously

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back