TaylorMade M2 Driver Preview

Yes, he did touch on the naming of it but did stress that it was only his personal opinion that maybe it could have been better had they named it along the lines of M1 Burner / Aero / etc to make it clearer that the M2 was not a replacement for the M1

To a point I agree with this, but if TM go along with the same numbering with the next releases and call those M1-17 / M2-17 / etc then maybe it will help to keep the different lines separate but obvious as to what they are replacing

Them moving forward with that naming scheme m1-17 and m2-17, then m1-18 and m2-18 is actually a great idea... Sadly, they probably won't do that.

No. With the last several drivers the TP version has essentially been a shaft upgrade. These have a number of no charge shaft upgrades.

That concept surprises me as someone who gamed and enjoyed the Burner 2.0 Superfast TP, which had a toe weight and an open face rather than the closed standard version.

Big, big difference there.

Incorrect.

And the new Bridgestone driver has them as well.

Sent from this Tapatalk app thingy
Do grooves on a driver reaaaaally do that much?

i-VGS3Qvw-L.jpg

i-LrCLTMT-L.jpg

i-qkHLwwr-L.jpg

i-7tRTm3p-L.jpg

i-Cf93WkX-L.jpg

i-bwzNjSv-L.jpg

As much as the name is apparently confusing for everyone, when looking at them, there is no confusion. I think it actually looks good.

great pictures Dean and the THP team!

As much as the name is apparently confusing for everyone, when looking at them, there is no confusion. I think it actually looks good.

Nope, no confusing the two when looking at them.

Agree, seeing them both in person, you can tell the M2 is an alternative. The naming though... Ugh.

Agree, seeing them both in person, you can tell the M2 is an alternative. The naming though... Ugh.
Im really surprised how annoyed people are at the name.

Its not like it's M1b or something.

If someone offers you Option 1 or Option 2, typically cant you tell that you have two different options?

If someone offers you Option 1 or Option 2, typically cant you tell that you have two different options?

I agree, but I think ddec said it well in the podcast. If you bought an R9 and then 6 months later the r10 came out, there would be some confusion.

Not that there should be, or that releases are bad because I don't think they are. Just that I do understand from the name convention.

It just makes them look like they're scrambling even more than they're already doing. M1 launched, it's working well for them. I get M2 and its place in their line, but I would have loved to hear their discussion for the name and why they stuck with that.

It just makes them look like they're scrambling even more than they're already doing. M1 launched, it's working well for them. I get M2 and its place in their line, but I would have loved to hear their discussion for the name and why they stuck with that.

For me, I think it's a simplicity thing. I dig it.

It comes out Feb 19...I cannot wait to try it out. I love the simplicity, the look, and the reviews are positive.

That concept surprises me as someone who gamed and enjoyed the Burner 2.0 Superfast TP, which had a toe weight and an open face rather than the closed standard version.

Big, big difference there.

Apparently I was wrong about the Aeroburner and the TP head was different. I believe the R1, SLDR and R15 the only difference in the TP version was the shaft.

From what I've seen online I would have hit this if it was available a few months ago. Go taylormade for changing it up. Before callaway sucked me in I loved my burner 2007 with a grafalloy epic shaft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apparently I was wrong about the Aeroburner and the TP head was different. I believe the R1, SLDR and R15 the only difference in the TP version was the shaft.

Makes a bit more sense as you can adjust to be open/toe heavy on those models.

That is correct. And a real waste of the "TP" label.

my local store had the M2 driver in stock today, had a hit and bought the HL loft in M flex as it suits my slow swing speed. Hitting about the same distance as my XXIO, but I prefer the feel from the M2.

my local store had the M2 driver in stock today, had a hit and bought the HL loft in M flex as it suits my slow swing speed. Hitting about the same distance as my XXIO, but I prefer the feel from the M2.
Wow. Its not even available for pre-sale in the U.S. yet. Good to hear your thoughts on this.

Wow. Its not even available for pre-sale in the U.S. yet. Good to hear your thoughts on this.

I know, it's not out to mid February here officially. They had 2 drivers and had the demo m2 irons heads.

i tried the m1 and liked it, but was a bit too expensive and no HL version was available. The M2 is what i was after, a bit more forgiving than my R15 with the option for a higher loft.

Man I am really liking the looks of the M2.

So we know from Golfspy's article that the Ping G30 had the lowest and most rearward COG of all drivers in 2015. We also know that the Ping G is slightly lower and more rearward again.

It would be interesting to know how the Ping G compares to the Taylormade M2 - which one has the most rearward / low COG (and therefore the highest forgiveness) as the M2 is obviously targeting that market now.

which shaft did you get. With 30 choices it's hard to make a decision

I'm interested in this for my bag in 2016 since I don't need forward CG options. I'll test it out against the XR16, loved it so far, and the Ping G. No issue with naming, how does this differ from AP1/AP2?

which shaft did you get. With 30 choices it's hard to make a decision

did not do a fitting as the fitting kit is not in yet and I just took the off the shelf model they had. Which was the HL loft with the fujikura pro 50 in M flex. Spent a bit of time with it before I bought it and was happy with the feel of the shaft and the distance I was getting. It has slightly more muted feel and sound than the M1. I prefer it over the M1.

Does anyone know what the standard loft of the M2 HL driver? Is it 13.5° like their other HL drivers?

Last edited:
Back