Trying to Break 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is where I belong,I relate with everyone here.First the pro was so patient with me,but he was so surprised at my lack of flexibility.He tried to get me to turn and use my hips and as he found out I can't turn at all.His solution was lifting my left heel and still was shocked I have little to no mobility.Im so busy with life in general that I have no time to go to a gym and get fit just for golf.So as he noted,my issue is I'm all hands and arms.Im just looking to enjoy the game and not be the biggest hacker in the Chicagoland area.So if it is a physical thing the best I can do is play the red tees.Or even tee off from the fairway as he recommended if things get real bad.Honestly I thought he was excellent,but I just lack the necessary skills to be a decent golfer.Im hoping that playing more will help get my skills at least to average.I did the proper thing by going thru a 12 lesson extensive swing build.The game just frustrates me to no end

This thread is where I belong,I relate with everyone here.First the pro was so patient with me,but he was so surprised at my lack of flexibility.He tried to get me to turn and use my hips and as he found out I can't turn at all.His solution was lifting my left heel and still was shocked I have little to no mobility.Im so busy with life in general that I have no time to go to a gym and get fit just for golf.So as he noted,my issue is I'm all hands and arms.Im just looking to enjoy the game and not be the biggest hacker in the Chicagoland area.So if it is a physical thing the best I can do is play the red tees.Or even tee off from the fairway as he recommended if things get real bad.Honestly I thought he was excellent,but I just lack the necessary skills to be a decent golfer. Im hoping that playing more will help get my skills at least to average.I did the proper thing by going thru a 12 lesson extensive swing build.The game just frustrates me to no end
I'm in the same boat as you, as I lack flexibility. I've done a lot of stretching exercises, and to help with my turn my instructor suggested I just keep a golf club by the couch and during commercial times put it on my shoulders, grab it with both hands and twist side to side trying to mimic a golf swing turn by keeping the belt buckle forward. You do that as you watch tv every night and it starts to loosen you up a bit. No shame playing from the red tee's either. Playing back is like deciding to play baseball and the first pitch thrown to you is from Clayton Kershaw. It makes no sense to start with the hardest setup. Make it easier and stay forward.

My first lessons revolved around the short game and putting. As my instructor said, it's the same swing motion, just shortened ... and as I became more proficient in the short swing, I'd start to see better results when it lengthened. Plus, a majority of your shots are within 100 yards of the green, so it makes sense to focus on that.

Stay at it and you'll see progress. It may seem like one step forward, two steps back at first (was like that for me) but over time you'll start to see incremental changes. I haven't had a eureka moment where my scores dropped precipitously, but they continue to creep down as I learn about my game. It'll happen for you too if you stick at it and don't allow yourself to get discouraged.

As for standing close to the ball, I've always read that if you can place a fist between the butt of your club and your waist, you're alright. If you can't fit a fist in there, you're too close.

Careful - how far away from the body the hands should be differs with the club. They'll be much farther away with the driver than with the wedge.

Proper distance from the ball is all about balance. If you're too far, you'll have to reach for the ball. If you're too close, your arms will crash into your chest and you won't be able to get extension.

Beyond that, we should probably leave any instruction for Freddie.

Careful - how far away from the body the hands should be differs with the club. They'll be much farther away with the driver than with the wedge.
I was talking strictly about irons in my post, or at least in my mind that's where I was going, as that's what I was taught. Certainly not trying to coach people in this thread as there is a reason I post here with regularity.

This thread is where I belong,I relate with everyone here.First the pro was so patient with me,but he was so surprised at my lack of flexibility.He tried to get me to turn and use my hips and as he found out I can't turn at all.His solution was lifting my left heel and still was shocked I have little to no mobility.Im so busy with life in general that I have no time to go to a gym and get fit just for golf.So as he noted,my issue is I'm all hands and arms.Im just looking to enjoy the game and not be the biggest hacker in the Chicagoland area.So if it is a physical thing the best I can do is play the red tees.Or even tee off from the fairway as he recommended if things get real bad.Honestly I thought he was excellent,but I just lack the necessary skills to be a decent golfer.Im hoping that playing more will help get my skills at least to average.I did the proper thing by going thru a 12 lesson extensive swing build.The game just frustrates me to no end
Chip, do a search for the "3 to 9" practice swing/

I have trouble with this from time to time. For me, it's a matter of losing focus and lifting my head before I make contact. I'd hate to give you advice, as we're all routinely posting in this thread for a reason, but I've found that focusing on the back of the ball through contact has helped me keep my head steady, and produced somewhat more consistent ball contact. As for standing close to the ball, I've always read that if you can place a fist between the butt of your club and your waist, you're alright. If you can't fit a fist in there, you're too close.

I try to focus on hitting in front of the ball. I've had problems in the past hitting the ball fat, but through practicing in the FREEZING cold northern Illinois winter I've been striking the practice balls ok and the SkyPro is telling me that I have a few degrees of shaft lean at impact.

Maybe I'll go to the indoor range soon to hit real balls.

Dave

I'm a big fan of the Mark Crossfield videos. Don't get me wrong he is not a slow swinger by any means, but is much more of a "normal" guy than a lot of the other people in videos. The link below is an excellent one, in my opinion, for swing fundamentals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwP6RNosJws

Dave

A lot of ground first than the ball.Nothing left/most right and more right of my net.Almost like I'm missing the ball.Makes no sense as I'm also standing somewhat close to ball and not far away.Honestly have no idea what I'm doing right or wrong.Maybe it is hitting into a net and not off of real turf?

Here's one more for how to hit ball and then ground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOR_hvOdimQ

Dave

These golf pros are pretty good people in my estimation.Called the golf teacher and explained my inability to perform using his teachings.He immediately told me I have his services free of charge until I notice a huge improvement.Said he will only charge me for a lesson when I'm ready to advance to the next level.Heading in on Sunday with a real good outlook

These golf pros are pretty good people in my estimation.Called the golf teacher and explained my inability to perform using his teachings.He immediately told me I have his services free of charge until I notice a huge improvement.Said he will only charge me for a lesson when I'm ready to advance to the next level.Heading in on Sunday with a real good outlook

That's great to hear. :thumb:

Dave

There's no stigma in changing your teacher. If you don't feel it is going the right way for you, then let them know and move on. Tiger changed coaches 4-5 times.

I KNEW I WAS LIKE TIGER AFTER ALL!!!! And after some of his driving last year the similarities just keep coming...

Had a ""refresher"" lesson today with my patient teaching pro.What a big difference in revisiting items that I misinterpreted after the Intial lesson.Basically I was closing the club to fast which thru the club all out of wack at the bottom.He loosened up my grip more than i originally thought and the ball was going straighter.Before I was forcing the ball to go straight by flicking it closed at the ball.Now with a weaker grip and an understanding that the face can't close I'm doing better.I guess this gets my body involved naturally versus making compensations with the hands at the bottom.So far so good,hope this works this time for me.Nice to know he is willing to help me and makes me feel so comfortable.Never hurts to ask these guys when we get stuck or in a rut.He also gave me one of his demo 5 irons to practice in my garage net.Looks like an off brand club,but he said it is perfect for high handicappers like me.Im just speechless how he went above and beyond to help a hacker like me

What kind of club is the demo he gave you?
Had a ""refresher"" lesson today with my patient teaching pro.What a big difference in revisiting items that I misinterpreted after the Intial lesson.Basically I was closing the club to fast which thru the club all out of wack at the bottom.He loosened up my grip more than i originally thought and the ball was going straighter.Before I was forcing the ball to go straight by flicking it closed at the ball.Now with a weaker grip and an understanding that the face can't close I'm doing better.I guess this gets my body involved naturally versus making compensations with the hands at the bottom.So far so good,hope this works this time for me.Nice to know he is willing to help me and makes me feel so comfortable.Never hurts to ask these guys when we get stuck or in a rut.He also gave me one of his demo 5 irons to practice in my garage net.Looks like an off brand club,but he said it is perfect for high handicappers like me.Im just speechless how he went above and beyond to help a hacker like me

It was a tale of two nines for me today. I played the best nine consecutive holes I've ever put together on the front nine for a 47. I put up a 10 on #10, which started a trend that resulted in a 62 on the back for a 109.

Sim league today, didn't score very well, but was hitting great on the range during warmup.

Trying to stay positive here,but hope is fleeting.Hit balls last night and this morning in my garage and the results were very poor again.Hate to bother the golf teacher again,but the outcome was awful.Some shanks and many way right from just 6 feet back from the net.I even put up a old mattress on the right wall since I started putting ball marks from my rights in it.This game is really frustrating me again,I'm thinking this is me now

Trying to stay positive here,but hope is fleeting.Hit balls last night and this morning in my garage and the results were very poor again.Hate to bother the golf teacher again,but the outcome was awful.Some shanks and many way right from just 6 feet back from the net.I even put up a old mattress on the right wall since I started putting ball marks from my rights in it.This game is really frustrating me again,I'm thinking this is me now

How much are you practicing?

I ask because some of your earlier comments indicated that: a) you're not looking to be a scratch golfer and b) you're getting frustrated. If those two statements are true, maybe it's time to relax the practice schedule. I'm by no means saying give up or stop altogether. Over practicing, especially when you're not seeing the results you want, can be more damaging to your love of the game. If you're not enjoying it, back off a little. The most important thing to remember is that it's a game. It's supposed to be fun. Keep that in mind, and try to relax and not worry too much about bad shots, they will happen.

Remember this...Golf is HARD. It's probably one of the hardest sports to get good at, especially if you're starting the game as an adult. Very small target on a much bigger playing field than anything else.

How much are you practicing?

I ask because some of your earlier comments indicated that: a) you're not looking to be a scratch golfer and b) you're getting frustrated. If those two statements are true, maybe it's time to relax the practice schedule. I'm by no means saying give up or stop altogether. Over practicing, especially when you're not seeing the results you want, can be more damaging to your love of the game. If you're not enjoying it, back off a little. The most important thing to remember is that it's a game. It's supposed to be fun. Keep that in mind, and try to relax and not worry too much about bad shots, they will happen.

Remember this...Golf is HARD. It's probably one of the hardest sports to get good at, especially if you're starting the game as an adult. Very small target on a much bigger playing field than anything else.
30 minutes 3 times in a week in my net.And maybe once a week at the dome for a 45 minute session.The golf teacher has given me all the tools,just can't reproduce it.This is why I never taken golf more serious than a few rounds a year the last decade or so. It's not that I'm uncoordinated,just I have no golfer ability it seems.Other hobbies like pool and darts I do just fine

30 minutes 3 times in a week in my net.And maybe once a week at the dome for a 45 minute session.The golf teacher has given me all the tools,just can't reproduce it.This is why I never taken golf more serious than a few rounds a year the last decade or so. It's not that I'm uncoordinated,just I have no golfer ability it seems.Other hobbies like pool and darts I do just fine

It's a hard game to learn. Keep it fun, if you're getting stressed about it step away for the day. I'm sure others will have better advice, but for me, if it's not fun I walk away for the day and come back another day.

It takes dedication to get better, but at the same time pushing yourself too much can really make it miserable, no matter how good you get.

Not quite ready for the Breaking 90 thread. Shot a 48/53 today for a 101. 30 putts (13 front, 17 back - with one three jack), 7/14 FIR. I lost my strokes 40 yards and in today. Hate to make excuses, but if I played on a course today that had fairways that didn't act and feel like water logged sponges, I think I break 100. Iron striking was decent, continued crushing the D200 4H (one topped shot though), and was getting good distance from the F6 driver. But lots of miscues around the green. Need to hit that hard in the next couple of months, particularly the half swing pitch and gap wedge shots.

Chip, what clubs are you using when you practice?

It was a tale of two nines for me today. I played the best nine consecutive holes I've ever put together on the front nine for a 47. I put up a 10 on #10, which started a trend that resulted in a 62 on the back for a 109.

Nine holes at a time and try to play bogey golf, play away from trouble.

Playing bogey golf will get you a 90, that leaves you 1 extra stroke every other hole to stay under 100, if there is trouble you can find off the tee take something less off the tee and just put the ball in the fairway even if you can't reach the GIR from that position then play to a number and then go at the green with a short iron/wedge two putt and go on.

Something else I've picked up is not to go 100% at every swing. If you hit 8i 145yds on a perfect/good strike and that's what you have left to the middle of the green then take a 7i make a 3/4 back swing and then make a normal swing to your finish. The ball will get there, be straighter and closer to the hole more times than not than your full 8i.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chip stay positive here are a few tips, I'm sure your instructor has given you drills to work on. It's winter so we are not playing we are practicing to rid ourselves of flaws in the swing and are not trying to hit the perfect ball every time so who cares where the stupid ball goes!!!

Do 5drills then 5full swings trying to feel what the drill is trying to instill in your swing. If you have more than one drill for the same flaw feeling then 5drills, 5drills(different drill) 5full swings. If he has you making more than one change then work on one change for one set then move to the next change then back to the first.

Full swing doesn't have to be full speed maybe only go half speed till you get that feeling ingrained then 3/4 speed then 100%. We can not change what we don't feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This game really is frustrating and you can expect several years of lessons/practice before you really start to get comfortable with your swing and its results. Sending it right could be something other than shanks, but if it's going sideways it's shanks. Use a 2x4 to keep your club from moving outward too much. If you are concerned about hitting something hard, use a 2x4 with a pool noodle next to it. Here's a photo example:

stop-shanking-2x4-drill.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back