Over under drill to drop the club on plane on the downswing

Karl

Reaction score
Handicap
Saw a video of this where the instuctor holds a swim noodle behind the student pointed down the target line. The student goes over it on the way up and under it on the downswing. I tried this by just picturing the swim noodle there and my swing is on plane on the back and downswing. Finally my brain understands. This may help some of you cause it sure helped me. Best tip yet.

So... Where's the video??? Or the link at least... Curious to see this.....

I've used this drill but the noodle should not move the way he is doing it.

Oh and she drop kicked that shot he got excited about.

I guess you never get any negative feedback if you never hit the noodle. Not that I know but it doesn't seem like she is getting the most out of the drill with him moving it.

The best drill that got me coming from the inside is the "back to the target" drill. It was the first drill I did with my instructor and I keep going back to it. It taught me proper plane and release.
This noodle drill didn't do anything for me.

It also automatically helped my setup thinking I would have to come down under the noodle.

I've used this drill but the noodle should not move the way he is doing it.

Oh and she drop kicked that shot he got excited about.
Doesn't it promote the Furyk type action?

It promoted a rerouted club. It drops the club behind you and brings about new challanges

It promoted a rerouted club. It drops the club behind you and brings about new challanges

Gotcha. Thanks Freddie. I remember reading a golf digest drill years ago that called it the Furyk drill. I think the premise was similar. Always wondered about what other complications it could cause.

Gotcha. Thanks Freddie. I remember reading a golf digest drill years ago that called it the Furyk drill. I think the premise was similar. Always wondered about what other complications it could cause.

The drill assumes you're engaging the hips and shoulders. Most golfers don't engage both but just one. The drill is great to get you out of a slice and to get the swing back but there are more steps after this. This alone will cause issues.

Thanks for posting brings on "new challenges"'Tadashi.This is what i have been working on.Having the club stay back there and using the hips and shoulders to square the club not the hands.Not trying to sound like a bad guy here,but this is a very very athletic move.I for one can't get the face to square just using my body.The students at my teaching facility are all Young athletic kids who are super flexible.Im lacking there and really struggling with this type of philosophy.Im wondering if there is anything wrong to use little body in golf but more hands?I seem to do better when i just free swing the club with no cares and hit with my hands turning all over

The drill assumes you're engaging the hips and shoulders. Most golfers don't engage both but just one. The drill is great to get you out of a slice and to get the swing back but there are more steps after this. This alone will cause issues.

Anything in particular to watch for going forward?

Anything in particular to watch for going forward?

Watch the down swing. If the club gets behind you, your dead. I don't mind the inside delivery but the club must stay in front of the chest

Too much from the inside and you'll have a two way miss... Hooks and blocks. This is what I struggle with and now trying to go in the opposite direction to get on plane.

Too much from the inside and you'll have a two way miss... Hooks and blocks. This is what I struggle with and now trying to go in the opposite direction to get on plane.

Its like we are brothers from another golfer. Although I have developed the push and push fade over the winter.

You can see it at the end of the video.

For me I am better at bringing it back and down on the same path than trying to take it over/under.

All the complaints in here are exactly what I have problems with.I miss way right now and cant help it this way.My pro showed me a drill where i set the body wide open and do this loop swing.In hopes of it giving me a feel to use my body correctly.Maybe I'm in the minority,but I can't hit the ball straight at all now.Its nice to read that others struggle with this as well.I know I'm a little new to golf in general,but I worked really hard to do something similar to this.Would say 95% of my shots i get airborne are right or right

All the complaints in here are exactly what I have problems with.I miss way right now and cant help it this way.My pro showed me a drill where i set the body wide open and do this loop swing.In hopes of it giving me a feel to use my body correctly.Maybe I'm in the minority,but I can't hit the ball straight at all now.Its nice to read that others struggle with this as well.I know I'm a little new to golf in general,but I worked really hard to do something similar to this.Would say 95% of my shots i get airborne are right or right

Man, you sound pretty dejected. Get some videos up for Freddie to go over. Most certainly he can get you going in the right direction. Good luck!

Watch the down swing. If the club gets behind you, your dead. I don't mind the inside delivery but the club must stay in front of the chest

Had some of this happen with driver today in retrospect. My irons and woods straightened right out though.

I will be trying this and a couple other things my instructor wants me to on Saturday.

I will be trying this and a couple other things my instructor wants me to on Saturday.

It doesn't take much of a reroute once you get the feel of it.

CJ, please be careful with this drill. I took a look at a few cuts from your trip down to FLa. a rerouted club will be a bit difficult

Back