Bertha Mini 1.5 vs XR 3 Deep or X2 Hot 3 Deep

PowerCobra98

Reaction score
Just curious more than anything what the advantages/disadvantages of the new Bertha Mini 1.5 might be compared to one of the previous Deep models of fairway woods.

I currently game a XR 3 Deep and previous to that a X2 Hot 3 Deep. I use that over a driver because for whatever reason I simply can't hit good driver shots. The Deep model just suits me because I'm a sweeper, which lends itself to the other woods and hybrids I choose over irons.

I look forward to any responses. Thanks in advance!

May want to check or ask in the Mini thread as some of these comparisons have been discussed in there.

Just curious more than anything what the advantages/disadvantages of the new Bertha Mini 1.5 might be compared to one of the previous Deep models of fairway woods.

The mini was compared to the XR 3 deep on the page linked below. I'd take it with a grain of salt though as I think the reviewer might be biased.
http://www.golfalot.com/equipment-reviews/callaway-bertha-mini-15-driver-review-3226.aspx
Plus he might have got confused, because to me it looks he mixed up the labeling in this picture (and possibly the clubs themselves):
http://www.golfalot.com/Portals/0/i...thaminidriver/reviewaddress3comparebertha.jpg
Based on the color of the shaft tip, the chevron on the top of the head, and the sweet spot scoring lines on the face the club on the far left should be the mini. (Either that or he had the completely wrong club on the right side of that picture labeled as the mini, and didn't even have the mini in the picture).

The mini was compared to the XR 3 deep on the page linked below. I'd take it with a grain of salt though as I think the reviewer might be biased.
http://www.golfalot.com/equipment-reviews/callaway-bertha-mini-15-driver-review-3226.aspx
Plus he might have got confused, because to me it looks he mixed up the labeling in this picture (and possibly the clubs themselves):
http://www.golfalot.com/Portals/0/i...thaminidriver/reviewaddress3comparebertha.jpg
Based on the color of the shaft tip, the chevron on the top of the head, and the sweet spot scoring lines on the face the club on the far left should be the mini. (Either that or he had the completely wrong club on the right side of that picture labeled as the mini, and didn't even have the mini in the picture).

Thanks for posting this! Thumbs up for you. Appreciate the time you took to do so. I would potentially be interested in the Mini if I didn't just buy the new XR 3 Deep. I already had the X2 Hot 3 Deep but the Callaway Marketing did it's job and convinced me that I just absolutely needed the XR. Then of course a few weeks later the Mini is announced! I'm just afraid the Mini would act for me like a Driver (which I don't hit well) and not a Fairway Wood (which I DO hit very well). Best course might be to find somewhere I can demo the Mini on a real range. We have 1 shop where I live that does have a live range for club demos so I may swing be there and see if they have a Mini to try. Frankly I'm not sure I'd get much more benefit than I do out of the 3 Deep but such is the pitfall of being a club hoe. :act-up: If I do take the plunge I've already got a spare Aldila Tour Blue shaft that would find a home on that Mini head!

I would potentially be interested in the Mini if I didn't just buy the new XR 3 Deep. I already had the X2 Hot 3 Deep but the Callaway Marketing did it's job and convinced me that I just absolutely needed the XR. Then of course a few weeks later the Mini is announced! I'm just afraid the Mini would act for me like a Driver (which I don't hit well) and not a Fairway Wood (which I DO hit very well). Best course might be to find somewhere I can demo the Mini on a real range. We have 1 shop where I live that does have a live range for club demos so I may swing be there and see if they have a Mini to try. Frankly I'm not sure I'd get much more benefit than I do out of the 3 Deep but such is the pitfall of being a club hoe. :act-up: If I do take the plunge I've already got a spare Aldila Tour Blue shaft that would find a home on that Mini head!
I don't know what shaft(s) you have hit in the drivers you've used, but that could be (part if not all of) the bad experience you've had. I'd take the extra Tour Blue shaft you have with you, and see if they'll let you hit some with your shaft swapped in. If you were to like it, and decide to purchase it you can get the Tour Blue as a custom shaft at no upcharge from Callaway. That way you can keep your extra Tour Blue shaft on standby in case anything happens to one of your other Tour Blue shafts.

I don't know what shaft(s) you have hit in the drivers you've used, but that could be (part if not all of) the bad experience you've had. I'd take the extra Tour Blue shaft you have with you, and see if they'll let you hit some with your shaft swapped in. If you were to like it, and decide to purchase it you can get the Tour Blue as a custom shaft at no upcharge from Callaway. That way you can keep your extra Tour Blue shaft on standby in case anything happens to one of your other Tour Blue shafts.

Great suggestion, I think I'll at least take the shaft and give it a try. Thanks for all your help.

I found the mini to be very hard to hit relative to the deeps. But that's probably me, not the club

If you're looking at the mini driver market, check out the older Cobra Long Tom 2 Wood. I've owned several of the Deep/Mini type clubs and this one is for me the best. It's the longest for me (even with a shaft cut down to the same lengths) and also the most forgiving. It just didn't get the press because of the release timing, the fact that it was Cobra, and the fact that Phil effectively re-launched the segment afterwards (timing).

I've tried so hard and for so long to hit a driver and honestly I'm tired of it. I can hit my x2 hot 5deep pretty good, I'm thinking about just ditching the driver and get into the mini driver market. do you guys know about a thread that compares the callaway/ping/taylormade versions?. I tried the x2 hot 2deep and I could not get it airborne, 12 degrees is a serious deal..

I have had the xhot 3deep and the X2 3deep. X2 was easiest hit the the xhot. Just hit the Mini at PGASS the other day. Walked out with it after an hour. First eon the course will be later this week but it's basically replacing the 3DEEP. And yes still use a driver too.

I own the X2 Hot 3Deep, X2 Hot 2Deep, and XR Deep 14*, and for the last few years have beeb playing one of them off the tee about 10 times a round. For some reason I had never demoed the Mini 1.5 but did a few days ago as one of the guys in my threesome had one. My first swing with it was a miss off the toe and it still carried a 255 yard bunker. I was sold after using it twice more off the tee, it's about 15 yards longer than my XR Deep no doubt because of less loft and a slightly longer shaft. I ordered one off of Callaway Preowned with a Kuro Kage TiNi x flex shaft and am looking forward to putting it in play as soon as it arrives. I hit a 3 wood much straighter than a driver and I'm expecting this mini to average about 260ish off the tee, only about 12-15 yards shorter than my driver and plenty long for the typical 6700-6800 yards I'm playing from. I carry a XR16 Pro for any fairway shot so I will still carry a driver along with the Mini 1.5.

Back