Thread: Trying to Break 100

  1. #15571
    AMDG Grins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Stow, OH
    Posts
    7,149
    Member
    6320
    Handicap
    19.3
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    5,795
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,418
    Thanked in
    2,187 Posts
    Shot 46 this morning. Nothing spectacular but is does seem that I’m pretty solidly below the 100 mark for a full round now. I did hit another really good approach shot on a tough par 4 from 180 yards for a GIR and my only par: the Mizuno JPX HM 5 iron continues to impress.
    driver: Z585 (Project X HZRDUS 5.5)
    woods: F7 3/4, 5/7, V series Heavenwood
    hybrids:
    XR 4h, 5h

    irons:
    Z 565 5-PW (Miyazaki Kaula shafts),
    JPX919 HM 5 (Recoil 95)
    wedges:
    CBX 48*, 54*, 60* (graphite)
    putter: Mini Giant Deep Flange Stealth


    "I hate this game, and I can't wait until tomorrow to play it again!" - Jeff Sluman

    Learning to love the plateau!

  2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Grins For This Useful Post:

    alexped2393 (07-12-2019), Antihero (07-12-2019), CobraX51 (07-12-2019), Doubleb21 (07-12-2019), Hamfist (07-12-2019), Snickerdog (07-12-2019), thommo.sx (07-12-2019)

  3. #15572
    I fluff my gimmies. Hamfist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    6,169
    Member
    25285
    Handicap
    Who cares?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    5,968
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    6,003
    Thanked in
    3,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grins View Post
    Shot 46 this morning. Nothing spectacular but is does seem that I’m pretty solidly below the 100 mark for a full round now. I did hit another really good approach shot on a tough par 4 from 180 yards for a GIR and my only par: the Mizuno JPX HM 5 iron continues to impress.
    I see new irons in your future.

    Edit: forgot to congratulate you on the nice round previously. Sorry.
    Last edited by Hamfist; 07-12-2019 at 12:14 PM.
    Cobra F8 driver
    Cobra F8 One Length 3H/4H/5H
    Ping G20 SW-6 iron
    Odyssey #9
    Ogio Shredder bag
    A ball

    "Always remember, there are no bad rounds, just high scores."-ChristopherKee

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hamfist For This Useful Post:

    Snickerdog (07-12-2019), thommo.sx (07-12-2019)

  5. #15573
    Club Pro jlaakso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    448
    Member
    50204
    Handicap
    29
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    216
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,032
    Thanked in
    319 Posts
    Very inconsistent 117. Very few good shots to remember. Awfully many terrible shots. I'm going to regroup, but not today not this week. I'm going to openly hate golf and start over next week.
    Bags:
    2018 The Open Stand Bag (Craw's Nestie)
    Hyper Lite 1+

    Clubs:
    Driver: F8
    Woods: Burner '08 3w (Call me Marvin), F8 5-6
    Hybrids: F8 4h, 5h
    Irons: Tour Burner 4-9i
    Wedges: Tour Burner PW, AW, RTX-4 56M
    Putter: Huntington Beach #1

  6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jlaakso For This Useful Post:

    Antihero (07-12-2019), Hamfist (07-13-2019), Sean (07-12-2019), thommo.sx (07-13-2019)

  7. #15574
    AMDG Grins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Stow, OH
    Posts
    7,149
    Member
    6320
    Handicap
    19.3
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    5,795
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,418
    Thanked in
    2,187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamfist View Post
    I see new irons in your future.

    Edit: forgot to congratulate you on the nice round previously. Sorry.
    Thanks. If anyone is looking for new clubs, they should definitely check out the Mizunos.

    Edit: my phone thinks the Amish make Mizunos
    driver: Z585 (Project X HZRDUS 5.5)
    woods: F7 3/4, 5/7, V series Heavenwood
    hybrids:
    XR 4h, 5h

    irons:
    Z 565 5-PW (Miyazaki Kaula shafts),
    JPX919 HM 5 (Recoil 95)
    wedges:
    CBX 48*, 54*, 60* (graphite)
    putter: Mini Giant Deep Flange Stealth


    "I hate this game, and I can't wait until tomorrow to play it again!" - Jeff Sluman

    Learning to love the plateau!

  8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Grins For This Useful Post:

    Doubleb21 (07-12-2019), Sean (07-12-2019), Snickerdog (07-12-2019), thommo.sx (07-13-2019)

  9. #15575
    Major Champion Snickerdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    KS
    Posts
    14,055
    Member
    38739
    Handicap
    7.1 Grint
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    39,258
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    10,357
    Thanked in
    5,551 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grins View Post
    Thanks. If anyone is looking for new clubs, they should definitely check out the Mizunos.

    Edit: my phone thinks the Amish make Mizunos
    Driver Maybe something Flash?
    Fairways Some more awesome Flash?
    Irons I have no idea what might go in here!!!
    Wedges probably some MD goodness
    probably something that rolls awesome
    an awesone ball

    Humbled member of Team THP in the 2019 Grandaddy with Callaway.

    2016 Cleveland Short Game Shootout
    "Forget the last hole played, you can't change the outcome. Move on."


  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Snickerdog For This Useful Post:

    thommo.sx (07-13-2019)

  11. #15576
    Major Champion jim54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,809
    Member
    21220
    Handicap
    11.7
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,830
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    7,290
    Thanked in
    3,985 Posts
    Check your grip 1st in order to break 100, tomorrow I am going to make a point of checking antiheroes grip, posture and if he has had enough water before every shot.
    Bet he shoots 82 or tells me to stop screwing with him by the third hole.

    Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Callaway EPIC Flash SZ TD 9* GD AD BB 7X
    Titleist TS2 15* PX Hzrdus Smoke 6.5
    Titleist TS2 21* Fuji Atmos red 6X
    Callaway EPIC Flash 11 wood Evenflow black 7X
    Callaway CF19 APEX Pro 5-AW PX Catalyst 100 6.0
    Titleist SM7 54* PX Catalyst 100 6.0
    Titleist SM7 58* PX Catalyst 100
    Scotty Cameron Fastback 2

  12. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to jim54 For This Useful Post:

    alexped2393 (07-13-2019), Antihero (07-12-2019), brianmk24 (07-12-2019), CobraX51 (07-12-2019), Doubleb21 (07-12-2019), Grins (07-12-2019), Hamfist (07-13-2019), LLIB (07-12-2019), Snickerdog (07-12-2019), thommo.sx (07-13-2019)

  13. #15577
    Major Champion
    Doubleb21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Tucson
    Posts
    1,636
    Member
    50153
    Handicap
    20.6
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    6,772
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,746
    Thanked in
    752 Posts
    Have a great weekend B100 i hope you all are getting some rounds in! I am leaving work in about an hour for 18 i have 18 on the books for the morning and Sunday is short game practice session with a lot of chipping, putting and wedges from a 100 yards on in!
    Driver- Epic Flash with a Hzrdus Smoke Shaft
    Fairway- Epic Flash 3W with a Hzrdus Smoke Shaft
    Hybrid- Big Bertha 4-5
    Irons- Big bertha 6-SW
    Wedges- 56/PM grind 60/PM grind
    Iron Shafts- Recoils
    Putter- Stroke Lab EXO Marxman & Toulon Las Vegas
    Bag- Swirl stand bag & Callaway F14 stand bag

    Proud to be a member of the 2019 Odyssey Experience


  14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Doubleb21 For This Useful Post:

    Antihero (07-12-2019), Hamfist (07-13-2019), Snickerdog (07-12-2019), thommo.sx (07-13-2019)

  15. #15578
    Club Pro olperfesser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    311
    Member
    51057
    Handicap
    too high
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    43
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    97
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Should have known... They aerated the greens this week, that's why we played away Monday and Wednesday. Hated it. Had 3 putts actually turn sideways on the way to the hole after hitting the indentations. Don't know how many total of my putts were deflected but those 3 definately were. Ended up with a 101, should have been 98 or less. Only hit one into the woods, none in the water. Still need work with my fairway woods. Too many fat hits going nowhere on the par 5's.
    3.5 cart with Org 14 bag with
    Rogue Driver
    Rogue 3W, 5W & HW
    Rogue 5-AW
    MD4 54w & 60c
    Toulon Putter
    ERC Soft ball

  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to olperfesser For This Useful Post:

    Hamfist (07-13-2019), thommo.sx (07-13-2019)

  17. #15579
    I fluff my gimmies. Hamfist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    6,169
    Member
    25285
    Handicap
    Who cares?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    5,968
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    6,003
    Thanked in
    3,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grins View Post
    Thanks. If anyone is looking for new clubs, they should definitely check out the Mizunos.

    Edit: my phone thinks the Amish make Mizunos
    Wait. They DON'T??
    Cobra F8 driver
    Cobra F8 One Length 3H/4H/5H
    Ping G20 SW-6 iron
    Odyssey #9
    Ogio Shredder bag
    A ball

    "Always remember, there are no bad rounds, just high scores."-ChristopherKee

  18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hamfist For This Useful Post:

    Antihero (07-12-2019), Snickerdog (07-12-2019), thommo.sx (07-13-2019)

  19. #15580
    I fluff my gimmies. Hamfist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    6,169
    Member
    25285
    Handicap
    Who cares?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    5,968
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    6,003
    Thanked in
    3,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jim54 View Post
    Check your grip 1st in order to break 100, tomorrow I am going to make a point of checking antiheroes grip, posture and if he has had enough water before every shot.
    Bet he shoots 82 or tells me to stop screwing with him by the third hole.

    Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    I'll give you five United States dollars if you do the "Creeper Golf Lesson Guy with the Hot Chick" thing to him.
    Cobra F8 driver
    Cobra F8 One Length 3H/4H/5H
    Ping G20 SW-6 iron
    Odyssey #9
    Ogio Shredder bag
    A ball

    "Always remember, there are no bad rounds, just high scores."-ChristopherKee

  20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hamfist For This Useful Post:

    Antihero (07-12-2019), dazeedmonds (07-12-2019), jim54 (07-12-2019), Snickerdog (07-12-2019), thommo.sx (07-13-2019)

  21. #15581
    I fluff my gimmies. Hamfist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    6,169
    Member
    25285
    Handicap
    Who cares?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    5,968
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    6,003
    Thanked in
    3,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by olperfesser View Post
    Should have known... They aerated the greens this week, that's why we played away Monday and Wednesday. Hated it. Had 3 putts actually turn sideways on the way to the hole after hitting the indentations. Don't know how many total of my putts were deflected but those 3 definately were. Ended up with a 101, should have been 98 or less. Only hit one into the woods, none in the water. Still need work with my fairway woods. Too many fat hits going nowhere on the par 5's.
    Aeration = group 2-putt.
    Cobra F8 driver
    Cobra F8 One Length 3H/4H/5H
    Ping G20 SW-6 iron
    Odyssey #9
    Ogio Shredder bag
    A ball

    "Always remember, there are no bad rounds, just high scores."-ChristopherKee

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to Hamfist For This Useful Post:

    thommo.sx (07-13-2019)

  23. #15582
    Major Champion Antihero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Tampa
    Posts
    1,308
    Member
    47829
    Handicap
    21.0
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,527
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,317
    Thanked in
    615 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jim54 View Post
    Check your grip 1st in order to break 100, tomorrow I am going to make a point of checking antiheroes grip, posture and if he has had enough water before every shot.
    Bet he shoots 82 or tells me to stop screwing with him by the third hole.

    Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Thanks. I'll read all your putts for you and laser all the "yardages" on par 3's.

    You just have to hit first

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Antihero For This Useful Post:

    Hamfist (07-13-2019), olperfesser (07-13-2019), Snickerdog (07-12-2019), thommo.sx (07-13-2019)

  25. #15583
    Major Champion Antihero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Tampa
    Posts
    1,308
    Member
    47829
    Handicap
    21.0
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,527
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,317
    Thanked in
    615 Posts
    Interesting day today.


    Took a lesson this morning. Played 27 in the afternoon. Would have been 36 but the sky turned black and the wind kicked up and we frantically made it to the parking lot before It rained like an inch in 15 minutes. Florida summer weather is just the best.

    Lesson this morning started with me explaining my recent low back pain and the fact I can't seem to hit a draw (which I used to) without rotating so hard my lower back screams.

    In short: My alignment was terrible.

    Aiming 15-20 yards right of target. For the last 2 years (since picking up the game) I've been trying to use the "2 feet in front of ball" method. Only way to hit a straight ball is to over rotate (hence back pain).

    Just doesn't work for me. At all.

    So coach told me to go out and play just visualizing/staring downfield to the desired target.

    Voila: Hit many FIR and several GIR. Zero horrendous wild shots.

    Missing distance came back too.

    And 100 was broken.

    Cautiously optimistic this could be a bit of a breakthrough.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Antihero For This Useful Post:

    CobraX51 (07-12-2019), Doubleb21 (07-12-2019), Grins (07-12-2019), Hamfist (07-13-2019), Mr Moke (07-13-2019), thommo.sx (07-13-2019)

  27. #15584
    I fluff my gimmies. Hamfist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    6,169
    Member
    25285
    Handicap
    Who cares?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    5,968
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    6,003
    Thanked in
    3,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Antihero View Post
    Interesting day today.


    Took a lesson this morning. Played 27 in the afternoon. Would have been 36 but the sky turned black and the wind kicked up and we frantically made it to the parking lot before It rained like an inch in 15 minutes. Florida summer weather is just the best.

    Lesson this morning started with me explaining my recent low back pain and the fact I can't seem to hit a draw (which I used to) without rotating so hard my lower back screams.

    In short: My alignment was terrible.

    Aiming 15-20 yards right of target. For the last 2 years (since picking up the game) I've been trying to use the "2 feet in front of ball" method. Only way to hit a straight ball is to over rotate (hence back pain).

    Just doesn't work for me. At all.

    So coach told me to go out and play just visualizing/staring downfield to the desired target.

    Voila: Hit many FIR and several GIR. Zero horrendous wild shots.

    Missing distance came back too.

    And 100 was broken.

    Cautiously optimistic this could be a bit of a breakthrough.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I’m glad you found a method that works for you. As I said in the other thread, I’m 50/50 on the two methods.
    Cobra F8 driver
    Cobra F8 One Length 3H/4H/5H
    Ping G20 SW-6 iron
    Odyssey #9
    Ogio Shredder bag
    A ball

    "Always remember, there are no bad rounds, just high scores."-ChristopherKee

  28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hamfist For This Useful Post:

    Antihero (07-12-2019), thommo.sx (07-13-2019)

  29. #15585
    Major Champion Antihero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Tampa
    Posts
    1,308
    Member
    47829
    Handicap
    21.0
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,527
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,317
    Thanked in
    615 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamfist View Post
    Iím glad you found a method that works for you. As I said in the other thread, Iím 50/50 on the two methods.
    Thanks.

    Still early innings. Honeymoon phase if you will.

    Unfortunately, I've had a few "breakthroughs" that were more like....snake oil.

    Playing again tomorrow so will have a better idea.

    I even have Coach Jim54 to help me, so I'm certain to go low ;)

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Antihero For This Useful Post:

    Hamfist (07-13-2019), thommo.sx (07-13-2019)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •