Yantropov

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey guys,

Here are two videos of my swings (7 iron and driver) that I took yesterday. I am guilty of sometimes hooking the ball when trying to create a maximum of lag.

By watching these videos, any advice that you can provide me would be greatly appreciated. This year was my first real golf season, I've never played more than 2-3 times a year before. I've had 5 or 6 lessons so far.

Thanks

[video=youtube;SN6-Gpwr3KU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SN6-Gpwr3KU[/video]

Last edited:
Why are you trying to create maximum lag? What have you and your pro worked on this far?

What at is you typical ball flight and miss? Do you miss off the heal often?

My usual miss will be a low hook. I'd say that most of my miss are on the toe.

My coach and I are still working on the consistency of my impacts and trying to remove any stiffness in the hands on my downswing. One shot I can hit my 7i 180yds carry and the next 140yds. I still hit the ball "fat" from time to time.

Since I began focusing more on tempo and relaxing the hands, I've gained swing speed and distance considerably.

There are two things at play in your swing that I would ask your instructor to look at
1. You close the gap that you established at address. Meaning, on the down swing your body move toward the ball before your hips make a move toward the target.
2. Loss of spine angle. In order to make contact after you lose that space established at address. You have to stand tall prior to impact just to get the club through the hit zone. This alone will give you inconsistent distances.

Try to maintain you address position or at least the space you have address. The shoulder turn on your spin as the hip rotates away from the ball to begin your down swing. Ask your pro to take a look.

Thanks alot Freddie ! Will be working on this ASAP!

It looks like you're laying the club off in your backswing. See how the butt of the club is pointing out over the ball, instead of at the ball? (You can see it best at just past halfway through the backswing, when the head of the club is at its highest point). When that combines with a faster tempo swing, there's gonna be some momentum to that layoff, which will adversely affect the transition between backswing and downswing, and is gonna cause a little loop in the swing, which you should be able to see in the video.

Compare that to Rory's backswing here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk67dfDnpKQ

He keeps the butt of the club pointed at the ball (though in this shot it's actually a couple of inches inside of the ball, the opposite of laid off... not as extreme as Jim Furyk, but it's there)
Which, here's a video of Furyk, and you can see the exaggerated move... https://youtu.be/sHDGq8os1GQ?t=29

How to fix it?

You can get one of those little lasers that screw into the butt of your club, and it will show you when you're swing is on plane or off. The laser points where the butt of the club points. I picked one up for $44 on Amazon, and it works pretty well. The Plane Sight Laser.

Then, be just a little slower on your backswing. You're not particularly fast, but there should be a bigger ratio of time when comparing the backswing and the downswing. If you slow down your backswing, this will create less momentum in your hands and the clubhead during the transition to the downswing. That way, mistakes in your backswing have a little less potential to cause problems in your downswing. Those two things should help get rid of the loop.

Update... I went to the range today and I mainly focused to keep my left arm close to my body during my swing and slowing down my backswing. The results were amazing! I noticed alot more consistency on my impacts...

Thanks guys

Update... I went to the range today and I mainly focused to keep my left arm close to my body during my swing and slowing down my backswing. The results were amazing! I noticed alot more consistency on my impacts...

Thanks guys

I'm glad you found something to help you.

Latest swing video.. 8 iron full swing. My consistency has improved alot with my irons.

Freddie, any improvement in my swing ?

Swing advice

fe6135b87de7802f2bdc97e111e6a55f.jpg

Great setup change! Small but affective adjustment. The top of the swing looks good except for the flying left elbow. Try to keep this closer to the body. Also make sure if you're going to release the club early that you rotate through the shot.

Sorry, old set up on the left. New on the right.

Freddie:

Here is my first video to begin my 2nd golf season. I was using a Titleist 714 MB 8 iron with KBS C taper X flex shaft.

I would like your opinion on the comparison between my swing from last year and this one. I think my left elbow does not separate as much as it use to ...

Thanks

f9794480d782526ca72847310f4e0fcf.jpg

Do you hit a power fade?

The photo on the left is of your new swing and the right is the second video you posted. You will notice the ball in the right of each photo. Based on the steep aoa and loss of spine I can't blame you for your positions. I like the right better as the left is very crowded. I'd also like to see you swing to the left more. You may also want to slow your tempo. Your quick space is not giving you enough time for a proper transition.

f9794480d782526ca72847310f4e0fcf.jpg

Do you hit a power fade?

The photo on the left is of your new swing and the right is the second video you posted. You will notice the ball in the right of each photo. Based on the steep aoa and loss of spine I can't blame you for your positions. I like the right better as the left is very crowded. I'd also like to see you swing to the left more. You may also want to slow your tempo. Your quick space is not giving you enough time for a proper transition.

For these specifics swings, I can't remember exactly what I was trying to hit. I usually hit a baby draw and my missed are usually a straight pull. I was working on my follow through as early as today... Slowing down my tempo and having the club head going toward the left after impact.

For these specifics swings, I can't remember exactly what I was trying to hit. I usually hit a baby draw and my missed are usually a straight pull. I was working on my follow through as early as today... Slowing down my tempo and having the club head going toward the left after impact.

Well these are straight pulls. Look at the ball behind your legs about knee height. If the hips stop moving this is the result. If you lose spine angle this can happen. If you're OTT this can happen. These three moves are a result, in your swing, of poor tempo. Poor transition due to poor tempo. Work on a smoother take away and allow the body to shift directions at the top and then make your swing.

Check out your footwork also. Your left heel should not be up in the air so much. At the point in the swing the pictures are taken you should have 'rolled' more into your left instep vs. being up on your toes. Check out this video of Tiger. Watch his right foot from 0:17 until 0:19. The heel stays down longer which helps him to maintain his spine angle.

[h=3]Tiger Woods playing a short iron in super slow motion ...[/h]

Check out your footwork also. Your left heel should not be up in the air so much. At the point in the swing the pictures are taken you should have 'rolled' more into your left instep vs. being up on your toes. Check out this video of Tiger. Watch his right foot from 0:17 until 0:19. The heel stays down longer which helps him to maintain his spine angle.

[h=3]Tiger Woods playing a short iron in super slow motion ...[/h]

Can't get to that right side of club is delivered to far inside and spine angle is lost. Very much a bi-product of the delivery, wouldn't you agree?

In my last session I've been focusing on my takeaway, slowing down my tempo. When I take the club back, I try to keep in mind the idea that I'm holding a "rope" and that I'm trying to keep it near the ground for as long as I can. I'm not sure if I translate this well in english but the results have been really good.

As most people are telling me, there's no need for me to try and create more speed. I have the speed so I should focus on consistency and smooth tempo.

Do you guys think that my lost of spine angle is the main reason for my heavy hits?

Tiger Woods playing a short iron in super slow motion ...

I see that. Tiger keeps both feet grounded for very long. I've been looking at Rory and Adam Scott's iron swing and they begin lifting their back foot way earlier than Tiger. Approximately at the same time I do start lifting my left foot. My spine angle is really something I need to keep in mind.

Can't get to that right side of club is delivered to far inside and spine angle is lost. Very much a bi-product of the delivery, wouldn't you agree?

100% agree. If you look at his video from January he is still losing spine angle and his down swing is actually steep vs. too shallow. I think loss of spine angle becomes part of someones normal pattern after a while. Some try to shallow the club too hard and some start coming over the top and club momentum pulls them up and out. Hitting some 3/4 shots working on his foot work will help with his loss of spine angle without having to consciously think about 'staying down' or 'bent over'. Curious to read your thoughts??? Thanks Freddie.

I just watched your video again and the club is in a great position at the top. If I saw that move for the first time I'd bet you would play a going draw. But then the lower body doesn't start the down swing and the force of the down swing is too fast for the hips to catch up. So you natural move is to hold off the hips and let the club pass. But because you were poised for a solid drop on an inside path, you have to stand tall to make room and the club just keep pull right.

We have to get you hitting 3/4 shot as mentioned above and maybe present that right hip slightly open so you can feel it pull away as the down swing starts. Does that make sense?

Good idea to pre set the hip open. Nick Faldo would do this drill: Since you are a lefty, hit some balls this way...set up to the ball normally, then pull your right foot back so the toe of your right foot is even with the heel of your left foot and hit balls. Swing aggressive but in balance.

Hey Freddie, any improvement on my swing? I'm trying to keep my head still and behind the ball and also slowing down my tempo. The results have been great so far.

Hey Freddie, any improvement on my swing? I'm trying to keep my head still and behind the ball and also slowing down my tempo. The results have been great so far.

Without even looking at the video I can tell you've been working hard on the right things.

Have you ever been fit for clubs? I mean a full comprehensive bag fitting? Based on what I am seeing, you need longer clubs and need to stand a bit away from the ball.

Back