BBQ: Memphis or KC Style

AHacker'sHacker

Who is John Galt?
Reaction score
Handicap
WIP
TheGasMan's response on another thread got me to thinking. Do you prefer Memphis (dry rub) or KC (wet) style BBQ?

It just depends on the mood I am in. I love both!

I am all about the wet, the more sauce the better. If it's not dripping down my elbows, it's no good.

That was just for me, wasn't it?

I like the Carolina style too.

Me too Gasman. I love vinegar based sauces, and I love slaw on my pulled pork sandwiches, yum! I am so hungry for BBQ now.

MMM, BBQ. LA has the crappiest selection of bbq in the states. Unless you want Korean BBQ, which is delicious and everywhere.

The BBQ around here is ok. When JB and I went to Charleston we got BBQ, and then we realized the stuff by us just isn't nearly as good.

Having grown up within 50 miles of Memphis, I love ribs from the Rendevous (dry rub) or Blues City Cafe (wet). They can both be had within 20 blocks of each other in Memphis. My Dad also made killer dry ribs on our BBQ at home. Any where south of the Missouri line and 30 miles either side of the Mississippi River is where God taught people how to properly make BBQ!!! MMMmmmm!!!

MMM, BBQ. LA has the crappiest selection of bbq in the states. Unless you want Korean BBQ, which is delicious and everywhere.

You can get tri-tip sammiches though. That's got to account for something!

I don't like KC style near as much as I like Memphis style. I'm pretty partial to south Texas style as well. Carolina BBQ is good, but some folks get a bit carried away with the vinegar.

Thanks to each of you for the fact I am going to cheat on my diet tonight for the first time in 2 weeks :wink:

Thanks to each of you for the fact I am going to cheat on my diet tonight for the first time in 2 weeks :wink:

It took every ounce of self control I had to make dinner at home instead of going to a local BBQ place. Of course now I am baking cookies so I guess it's a lost cause anyhow ha ha.

If it's BBQ it's gotta be good.

I was married in Memphis, so ....MEMPHIS ALL THE WAY! Though I love it with a little slop thrown on!
Any BBQ, done good will do the trick though!

Yeah...couple different ones in NC as well, my wife is an Eastern Carolina BBQ nut.

Eh, I don't know where I fit in on this. I like most styles of barbecue, it just depends on my mood which I want. My favorite item is pulled pork though, usually drizzled with a bit of sauce. That being said, it's usually pretty darn good even without the sauce.

Sorry GG, I can't stand slaw on a pulled pork sandwich. I like pulled pork. I like cole slaw. I don't like pulled pork mixed with cole slaw (until it's in my stomach that is).

Memphis: not bad. But my favorite ever remains:

austin_020p.jpg

salt-lick-300.jpg

austin_026p.jpg

Que is like the 3 p's. Pizza, pie,....ain't no such thing as bad Que! The best? It's on Blue Arc's smoker. I do the dry rub but I finish it in a bucket of homemade sauce. Hickory wood for hog. When I made it for the annual HOA cookout...neighbors made sex noises when they ate it...which was kinda disgusting when I think about it.:golf2:

Long as it isn't "bag" BBQ in an MRE, I'll eat it and enjoy it! Though the Carolina stuff gets a lil too vinegar-ry from time to time.

And South Texas does some interesting and tasty variations on the dry and wet styles too!

Que is like the 3 p's. Pizza, pie,....ain't no such thing as bad Que! The best? It's on Blue Arc's smoker. I do the dry rub but I finish it in a bucket of homemade sauce. Hickory wood for hog. When I made it for the annual HOA cookout...neighbors made sex noises when they ate it...which was kinda disgusting when I think about it.:golf2:

Blue Arc, thanks for starting my day with a good laugh!

Memphis: not bad. But my favorite ever remains:

austin_020p.jpg

salt-lick-300.jpg

austin_026p.jpg

Bobby flay and Tyler Florence both said that place was the best BBQ they have ever had as well. There is a new show on Food Network called "The best thing I ever had" (or some variation of that) and when they did BBQ The Salt Lick was the overall winner.

So you are a master of the smoker? JB and I just got one and so far we were successful with pork tenderloin and chicken but NOT for our ribs. I would love to get some tips and tricks from you on how to make great BBQ in the smoker.

KC....best I ever had was at some joint where when you walk in the staff yells "MAY WE HELP YOU!?!??!?"

Back