Does Tiger Beat Snead?

Tiger might catch him but imagine if Snead had turned pro sooner than age 25 or didn't have WWII interrupt him for 2.5 years in his prime when he served in the Navy. He would have won another 15+ tournaments.

Tiger might catch him but imagine if Snead had turned pro sooner than age 25 or didn't have WWII interrupt him for 2.5 years in his prime when he served in the Navy. He would have won another 15+ tournaments.

The what-if's are pretty fun to think about. What if Bobby Jones didn't retire at such a young age? What if Ben Hogan never got in that car wreck? What if Tiger never changed his swings? What if Phil didn't pull driver on the 18th hole of the 2006 US Open?

Those are the few that I always seem to think about.

That first one is always interesting to me when I think about it, as I wonder if it would have changed the landscape for professional golf had he kept playing.

*edit* Sorry for getting off topic.

The what-if's are pretty fun to think about. What if Bobby Jones didn't retire at such a young age? What if Ben Hogan never got in that car wreck? What if Tiger never changed his swings? What if Phil didn't pull driver on the 18th hole of the 2006 US Open?

Those are the few that I always seem to think about.

Is it the swing change that ruined Tiger, or his body? Could his body maintain the old swing any longer?

Maybe if the dude was bionic he'd have a solid shot at 100+

Is it the swing change that ruined Tiger, or his body? Could his body maintain the old swing any longer?

Maybe if the dude was bionic he'd have a solid shot at 100+

Honestly don't know. I was mainly just thinking about the dominant golf he was playing, and had he not taken a year or two to change swings if he would have won more tournaments or not. Or possibly his body would have broke down sooner.

If he can get healthy within a couple of years, I think he can. If healthy he can win up to his mid forty's,

No he's done. He's missed so much golf in the last few years the rust in his game will do him in even if he becomes fully healthy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes: If he wants to focus 100% on his game, play 20 events per year , and commit to toning down his violent swing

No: If he's more worried about fewer events and majors, commercials, golf design, family

Bear in mind that he's also 3rd on the European all time list;
e0079f9fc6f90bba2f514d830b9d4f51.jpg

Easier for him to match Snead out of all the most wins, majors, PGA and European tour.
However he does have the most WGC victories and it's not even close;
baa97c21c6ff6911fd1a4b42e342d422.jpg

I believe he will beat Snead's record, he has alot of time, 40 is not the end of the road. Assuming he is healthy enough that record should be within his grasp. On the major front, I don't see him breaking Jack's record, I see a Masters happening for him because the legends can effectively play that course into their 50's and he just needs a hot putter to make it happen.

He has to get back on the golf course and actually finish a tournament first...That's been the sticky wicket for a while.

I personally think he's done.

I thought it was a hypothetical Sam Snead vs Tiger which was an interesting idea.. Fun idea because of sneads gamesmanship.

No. Simple as that. He is done. ?? do wins on the Sr tour count ?? I hope not.

Note: I am a fan of Tiger

Number one, he'd have to be healthy. Assuming that, he'd need to re think his traditional schedule as he isn't the bomber he used to be and it only is going to hurt him chasing distance with driver. If you assume those two things, there's no reason why he can't catch Snead if he adds in events like the Wyndham or RBC where he can sting a ton of 2 irons. When healthy he has one of the best long iron games around. But you can't win if you aren't playing so for now, nope.

I was thinking this was if Snead and Tiger played today, which I'd have to pick Snead in the head to head match.

But no, I think Tiger's finished. I could be wrong. I hope for the best in him, but between whatever is going on in his head and what seems to be a perpetually injured body, I just don't see it.

~Rock

I really hope so and would love to see Tiger hold that crown but we will see.

After reading the article on ESPN yesterday, I think the answer is yes. I think he's had a good amount of time to reflect on things. Plus, with his back he wouldn't even be able to pass the military entrance exam, so golf is all he has left, outside of his family. Which is sad, but that another reason to think he can and will.
I hope he does. Golf is better with a competitive Tiger Woods!

If he does, he does.
He is certainly capable mentally but can he physically?
I always say let the better man win (and they do of course).
Golf is better with him involved.

Bear in mind that he's also 3rd on the European all time list;
e0079f9fc6f90bba2f514d830b9d4f51.jpg

Easier for him to match Snead out of all the most wins, majors, PGA and European tour.
However he does have the most WGC victories and it's not even close;
baa97c21c6ff6911fd1a4b42e342d422.jpg

The stat is a bit misleading since majors and WGC events count as official EPGA events.

Back