shaft tech VS club head tech (iron specific)

LSMO

Team Smoked Charcuterie
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I don't have near the club knowledge as most on this site. I like reading about all the new tech and what is new. That being said I went in to the fitter today to hit some Apex's, Bridgestone DF and the new AP2. It seemed to me that the shaft had more dictation on my numbers than the head of the club did. Anyone else experience this? I was able to hit all of them really well with about the same distances with different shaft options.

I don't have near the club knowledge as most on this site. I like reading about all the new tech and what is new. That being said I went in to the fitter today to hit some Apex's, Bridgestone DF and the new AP2. It seemed to me that the shaft had more dictation on my numbers than the head of the club did. Anyone else experience this? I was able to hit all of them really well with about the same distances with different shaft options.

Its all about where you make contact. Center mass for good ball strikers will yield a lot of similar results, for sure, but those three irons do vary pretty substantially on misses. You also have to take into account what iron you were hitting from the sets and if there is any progressive tech in the design which may lead you to seeing different traits with different irons in the set rather than, say, the 8i in all threr if that makes sense.

But, sure the shaft matters, not as much as some here thinks it does imo, but it does. I hit my irons pretty solidly and my fitting at the ECPC changed drastically the performance in the cf16 for me when we changed shafts.

So I guess, to answer does the shaft matter or the head, I'd say "yes".

Fit with head fine tune with shaft.

Fit with head fine tune with shaft.
Always better at summing things up on a few words than my paragraphs hahahaha

Essentially what I was trying to get at. Fit to and with the tech in a set (not just one iron imo) and then tune it in. It's what I saw going from apex pros to cf16, and then px to Ctaper to pxi.

I hit the ball pretty consistently in the center. When we did the fitting it wasn't with just one certain iron, the fitter went off loft and launch to make sure numbers were consistant. They were all great but none really stood out once they were fit to me.

Back