Counterfeit clubs?

lblanto1

Reaction score
Handicap
Does anyone buy clubs off eBay? At what point do you stay away? I am looking at buying a brand new driver from a guy off eBay with 215 reviews all positive but the deal seems to good to be true? How will I even know if it's counterfeit? Looks like the real deal and the guy accepts returns so seems legitimate but I'm weary of this. Is there a way to buy it and take it somewhere to have it looked at before hitting it? Has anyone ever been the victim of counterfeit clubs? However you would like to respond or give insight is welcomed I know that's a lot of questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've purchased a number of clubs from Ebay and have never had any issues whatsoever. Obviously though I'm not buying from overseas and I'm buying from established sellers with a strong history. I've also bought numerous clubs direct from the manufacturer and in comparison I've never been able to tell a difference.

I've purchased a number of clubs from Ebay and have never had any issues whatsoever. Obviously though I'm not buying from overseas and I'm buying from established sellers with a strong history. I've also bought numerous clubs direct from the manufacturer and in comparison I've never been able to tell a difference.

Got a set of irons this summer off of ebay....look for respectable sellers...with good pics.....no problem..nothing over seas

If the deal is too good to be true it's probably a fake. By most estimates 20%+ of the clubs sold on eBay are fakes. That being said, I've bought over 100 clubs on eBay over the last 5 years and only 1 was a fake, a Scotty Cameron putter where the clubhead and shaft were indistinguishable from the real thing but the grip and head cover was an obvious fake once I compared it to the real one. After I re-gripped the club I brought it in to a buddy of mine who is a pro at a golf galaxy where they see a couple counterfeit clubs a month come in for repair or regripping. All the employees inspected my Cameron putter and none of them thought it was a fake until I showed them the headcover. That Cameron was also a too good to be true deal. Since then I haven't purchased any too good to be true clubs from eBay. If a late model driver from one of the big names is more than about 1/3 off retail, it may very well be a fake. For hot selling model drivers, I'd be weary of any that are priced at more than a 15%-20% discount. The Callaway pre-owned site is great if you want to be 100% safe.

What user? I've bought from tons of guys on there as have others, maybe we can help you out?

I always buy from "authorized dealer" in ebay. If not, look at the ratings and pictures carefully. I bought most of clubs in ebay and no problem so far.

I usually buy a lot of my clubs off eBay. Don't think I have had any problems so far. For me a big thing is it has to feel legit. I have passed on some unbelievable deals because it didn't feel legit. Too good to be true and something was just a little fishy about it.
I also only try to buy from authorized sellers or people with good feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back