should push carts be allowed on tour? or also power carts?

should push carts be allowed on tour? or also power carts?

• allow push carts

Votes: 34 43.6%
  • unsure about push carts

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • do not allow push carts

Votes: 35 44.9%
  • allow power carts

Votes: 7 9.0%
  • unsure about power carts

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • do not allow power carts

Votes: 49 62.8%

• Total voters

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Reaction score
Handicap
I thought we had a thread on push carts like this in the past but couldn't find it and opinions do change through time anyway so here we go.

Just as the title states. Should they be allowed? And also driven carts as a separate question.

For my view, I don't really buy the "tradition" thing as a stance. If light weight metals and plastics and other materials and engineering were practical and affordable I feel they would have been used by golfers long before they became a norm in more modern times. But I just don't get it anyway. The players caddy carries the clubs anyway so either way the player isn't. So why not allow the caddy to roll a cart? Or even the player him/herself if they chose? Imo it doesn't do anything to the game and doesn't hurt the sport at all. I wouldn't see it as any big deal at all and if it started to become a norm on tour we would very quickly become use to viewing it on TV and in person and would no longer look out of place at all. Most of us are use to seeing them everyday anyway. I just don't see the need for disallowing this nor what it hurts. But hey, that's just me

Now for driven carts I can almost understand the power cart as a no no because one can argue that the player should have to endure the walking fatigue but even then if they all could use them, they would all be in the same circumstances. And some would argue tradition here too. And to be honest that would take a lot of getting use to unlike the pushcart. But all in all Im not really sure where I stand as for power driven carts. Perhaps one step at a time..lol

What say you?

I don't know that there's a need for a change.
Push carts are essentially irrelevant, the caddies are doing all of the work. I would think if there was a desire to use them the caddies union Would be pushing hard to be able to use them. I don't see anything wrong with caddies using push carts however.

Riding carts are a bit harder for me to swallow ( I mean they're huge, it would take hours and probably give me a wicked stomach ache :alien: ) I'm not sure why. I think it may become a necessity to get the slow players moving, although I don't know that it would help all that much. These guys are athletes, and a large part of the athleticism required is because it takes some serious stamina to walk 8 or 9 miles and still have a decent swing.

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

I read an interesting article several years ago about how frivolous lawsuits were causing everyone to reevaluate their respective professions for potential pitfalls that could result in a lawsuit. In the article, Casey Martin was interviewed about the potential ramifications for golf at the professional ranks. He emphatically stated power carts would not be a common sight within the professional game but he envisioned a day where caddies used push carts. I don't know if he is correct but it is an interesting concept. We never know what the media is going to choose to promote and drive. Take concussions for example, the NFL has become the whipping boy for change but the NHL and soccer have, at a minimum, an equal number of concussion cases as the NFL. The media, however, only focuses on the NFL.

I guess my point is, it will most likely take something dramatic or drastic to gain the media attention required to effect such a change in the professional golf ranks. Golf is, however, slow and often quite adverse to change!

No. Simple, no.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I don't think I could ever be in favor or motorized carts. Conditioning is a part of the game! The push carts are an interesting option for the caddies though. Never really considered that for Pro golf. I don't have a problem with it but I doubt it will ever happen but who knows!!

I don't know that there's a need for a change.
Push carts are essentially irrelevant, the caddies are doing all of the work. I would think if there was a desire to use them the caddies union Would be pushing hard to be able to use them. I don't see anything wrong with caddies using push carts however.

Riding carts are a bit harder for me to swallow ( I mean they're huge, it would take hours and probably give me a wicked stomach ache :alien: ) I'm not sure why. I think it may become a necessity to get the slow players moving, although I don't know that it would help all that much. These guys are athletes, and a large part of the athleticism required is because it takes some serious stamina to walk 8 or 9 miles and still have a decent swing.

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

I don't know if I consider them athletes in the same sense as many other sports. There have been many pro golfers not exactly the physical specimen of the other sports or even close and could never play/last in the other sports. That being said, I do understand the concept of stamina and to have the players endure the fatigue that comes with having to walk the 18 holes in a long hot day (or ill weathered day) and still having to make precise top notch golf strikes. That is something that one can say is certainly part of the sport and is why I voted unsure about power carts.

I don't see a need to change the way it is. I say leave it the way it is.

I don't see that there is a need to allow push carts, so I say no.

I don't see any reason to allow caddies to use push carts. I wouldn't care too much if they did, but I can't imagine the sponsors would like it.

For me, Golf is a sport that's steeped in tradition and the caddie caring the bag for the professional is one of those. NO and NO

I know that now that I have hit 60 I ride in a cart for my rounds of golf, but if there was a caddie to carry my bag, that would be the option I would choose. For many years I walked a carried my bag, and I must say I really enjoyed the game much more. I tried a pull cart during this period, but I hated it and bought my first stand bag, a Ping Hoofer. I still have a Titleist stand bag, and when carts path only I pull off the cart and carry the bag when I miss to the wrong side.

I would not mind if the caddies used push carts (or the player him/herself for that matter). Sure, tradition is tradition, but change can also be good.

No need for them. The player walks and doesn't have to worry about lugging the clubs around because the caddy handles that.

No no need to change anything and I like many of the traditions of golf and this is one.

If you want to walk, push, ride or any other variation, I'm all for it, whatever helps grow this awesome game. Now I know there are some courses where it just wouldn't be an option, like the RTJ Trail in AL, Grand National would be a tough walk on either course!

Not now, but I'm in the boat of lets get these guys rangefinders first, atleast to try and speed things up

I went with allow push carts but only for the player if something happens to his caddie, like out at last second with an illness.

I don't really get the "no pushcart" vote just for a "there is no need" as a reason. I mean really whats the difference if the caddy is carrying the clubs or rolling a cart? Its not affecting the player anyway and so why not allow the caddy to push a cart? I don't get why this would bother some of you. The reason that says "there is no need" doesn't really imo hold any value towards being a reason not to allow it. Would this masters be affected or the players finish and play any different just because the caddy's are rolling carts instead of carrying? Saying no because there is no need imo is almost like saying no just to say no. Has no value imo. Tradition (even though I don't like that reason either) at least holds an arguable value. Or if one felt the players are affected would hold some value to argue. But just because its not needed? Kind of not a reason to deny. And besides I'll bet some caddy's would like to use them if they could. That imo is far more a reason for it than using a "its not needed" to be the reason against it. That's my .02 for that.

I don't really get the "no pushcart" vote just for a "there is no need" as a reason. I mean really whats the difference if the caddy is carrying the clubs or rolling a cart? Its not affecting the player anyway and so why not allow the caddy to push a cart? I don't get why this would bother some of you. The reason that says "there is no need" doesn't really imo hold any value towards being a reason not to allow it. Would this masters be affected or the players finish and play any different just because the caddy's are rolling carts instead of carrying? Saying no because there is no need imo is almost like saying no just to say no. Has no value imo. Tradition (even though I don't like that reason either) at least holds an arguable value. Or if one felt the players are affected would hold some value to argue. But just because its not needed? Kind of not a reason to deny. And besides I'll bet some caddy's would like to use them if they could. That imo is far more a reason for it than using a "its not needed" to be the reason against it. That's my .02 for that.

I don't think it affects the players in any way, I simply don't see the need for it. I'll even go one step further to say I think it looks silly.

May not hold merit on your end, but as much you don't see the need for it not to happen, I don't see the need for it to happen. No big deal.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I don't really buy the "tradition" thing

I do, they can afford to walk, and let us the paying crowd see them.
Champion Tour is an exception as I have respect for the aged ( like me ).

Why not allow push carts? The object of the game is to get the ball into the cup in as few strokes as possible. Using a push cart doesn't help in that regard. Tradition to use caddies? It wasn't but a few years ago that caddies couldn't wear shorts - why can't pro golfers wear shorts (but that is another thread)? Some things should be kept as is, but there is too much un-needed tradition if you ask me!

Can't imagine there being a need to have a push cart on Tour, but I wouldn't be against it. Powered cart though, no.

Why not allow push carts? The object of the game is to get the ball into the cup in as few strokes as possible. Using a push cart doesn't help in that regard. Tradition to use caddies? It wasn't but a few years ago that caddies couldn't wear shorts - why can't pro golfers wear shorts (but that is another thread)? Some things should be kept as is, but there is too much un-needed tradition if you ask me!

Traditions are made, there was always something else prior to them. But imo there is nothing about tradition as far as the sport goes that would change it because they are allowed to roll a push cart. Whats so traditional about the clubs they use now vs the long past. And those are performance affecting items. No one ever had issue to say for sake of tradition and honor they should use clubs of yesteryear. The sport imo loses absolutely no value nor honor due to a push cart. It should get with the times of the modern game just as the equipment has done as well as the changes to the golf courses. The sport would still hold its integrity.

I don't see a problem with the push carts but that may be a long time down the road.

No way will motorized carts ever be allowed in the professional game. Makes no sense because then they would be cart path only and you would have to drag the bag to the ball anyways. Would slow down slow play even more.

This comes to mind for some reason
5e69276074d2842dd8cda17cf5942cba.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back