Your Hard Earned Cash

Diane

Reaction score
We all have things we'll spend money on and other things we balk at spending on. I have no qualms about spending $200 on a pair of shoes, but am reluctant to buy a push cart. I've also noticed that many of you are willing to buy new clubs, but talk about buying "cheap" golf balls even though a more expensive ball may suit your game better. Is it because you worry about losing the ball or because you don't think the ball you play matters as much as the clubs? Or do you think your level or play doesn't warrant a more expensive ball? Or is it just basic economics?

for me it's about losing balls. I still have the occasional round where I'll lose 3-5 balls at a clip. Losing good used balls is better for my wallet and psyche vs. losing great new balls at this point in my golfing career

I've bought every club in my bag from eBay, my cart at a discount (I knew the store owner), play a relatively inexpensive ball, and received my golf shoes as a FD's gift. I'm just a tightwad.

The Callaway Big Bertha's play fine for me. I don't lose many golf balls (I played 18 two weeks ago and only lost one, played 9 on Sunday, didn't lose any). At $25 or so a dozen, that's been pretty much my limit for the past 10 years.

Last edited:
:secret:(whispering& looking around) Don't let JB know but its spending on golf clothes. :bashful:

I usually just find all my golf balls. I haven't bought some in probably over a year. It's not that I'm worried about losing them. I just can't justify paying 50 bucks for something that I will eventually lose over time. I just prefer to find them.

ya i never buy balls unless i see black maxs for 7$...but i do buy new clubs monthly :laugh:

For me an item being more expensive than the same item of a different brand, does mean it will do a better job, or last longer for that matter. Golf equipment is no different. In fact I think that some golf equipment manufacturers prey on the average golfer's ego with inflated higher prices. That or because so in so pro golfer plays their equipment who they are paying to play their equipment, while passing the cost of endorsement on to the no professional's pocket book. I have OEM irons, and component woods. Some PGA pros use the same brand of irons I do. Total cost of my set is less than $400. If I play against another golfer who has an $800 set of irons and woods, and consistently out play him, who is playing with better equipment? Neither of us because it is the person's swing that is making the difference. Another example, let's say Woods, and Mickleson switched brands of clubs. Is Tiger going play worse, and Mickleson play better? Nope, don't think so. I once shot a 75 with a set of $89 K-Mart clubs., which is what started me thinking this way.

As for balls, I won't pay $4 for a ball. I don't lose balls that often. I have played expensive balls in the past, and I just don't see where I play any better with them. A $1.50 ball works just fine for me.

I paid quite a bit for my trolley, but the darn thing is just a good piece of equipment, that has lasted much longer than the one's I owned previously.

It's not an issue of being cheap, but buying smart as far as I am concerned. :cool:

For me an item being more expensive than the same item of a different brand, does not mean it will do a better job, or last longer for that matter. ...

Fixed it. Think that's what you meant.

I play equipment, and balls, that are more expensive than my game warrants. I've committed myself to discontinuing that habit. We'll see if I succeed.

Edit: although I've bought none of my equipment new, so it wasn't really that expensive as golf equipment goes. Plus, that's done now. I'm really focusing on the balls component. No point in buying them at $49 a dozen, or really even $28. From now on, I'm going to try to play all road kill balls found on the course.

Thanks, I sometime think faster than I type......lol

Fixed it. Think that's what you meant.

I play equipment, and balls, that are more expensive than my game warrants. I've committed myself to discontinuing that habit. We'll see if I succeed.

I have a hard time even BUYING golf balls...I do lose quite a few...but I just can't buy something that's so pointless. I do just as well with balls I find in the woods.

I pay for my hobbies with side work, so every major purchase is well thought out because I had to work extra hard for it.

Same goes for golf balls. I'll buy several dozen at a time (5 doz), and thankfully I was fitted to a pretty affordable ball.

A lot of it comes down to economics. I think the average life expectancy for a golf ball for me right now is about 3 holes before it goes swimming or for a walk in the woods/swamps. And around here, most of the courses seem to butt up against swampy areas so if you are in the treeline it's very unreachable.

I am ok with paying the ~$27/doz for the Bridgestone e7+ that I play. Good feel, good performance, and at $2/ball it's not nearly as painful as losing a $4 ProV1/B330/Z-Star that doesn't perform much better for me.

I spend way too much on golf, but I don't drink or chase wild women, I quit smoking, and I don't gamble....I guess golf is my only vice, so I indulge myself. When I started, I was concerned about paying for expensive golf balls because I lost so many. Now, I play a ball most of the time until it is played out, so it is more of an investment than a consumable. That makes a huge difference. I buy ProV1's and don't begrudge the money.

My wife has a hard time buying for me for holidays because if I want something, I just go get it, so I don't have a "wish list" for her to draw on.

I play cheap golfballs so that, incase I lose one, it doesnt bother me as much. If I lose a golfball that is $20 a dozen, its no big deal.
If I lose a ball that is $40+ a dozen, it starts to get on my nerves.

When I was working, I didn't mind spending the money for clubs or balls. I don't lose many balls and probably never buy more than 2-3 dozen per year. I find a lot of balls on the course, and keep the ones I like.

My normal ball is still either an NXT or ProV, however - last Winter I picked up six boxes (15 balls to a box) of D2 Feel golf balls at Targets for $2.58 a box!

Now that I'm retired these D2 Feel balls seem to be performing just fine, and I mix them in with the NXT's and ProV's.

Oh, I spend my money on clothes, definitely. Though last year I basically rebuilt my club set up, and that cost me.

Back