What ball do you use?

Currently using the Srixon Z-STAR

I'm currently playing an assortment of golf balls. The last 5 rounds I have played Pro V1, Callaway Warbird plus, e6+. Out of those 3 I really like the Warbirds and the e6+'s. I'll probably stick with one of those. Right now I'm leaning towards the e6+. They are slightly more expensive but that's alright I like the way they play.

Im currently playing Precept U-Tri Tours. They are a premium 3-piece urethane covered ball that sells for $20 a dozen at Wal-Mart.
I will keep playing those for as long as I can find them because they are bar far the least expensive premium balls on the market and from what I understand, they were a precurson to the Bridgestone B330.
Id gladly play any Bridgestone/Precept or Srixon golfballs though.

Thanks everyone. I was thinking about getting some Callaway HX Hot Bites because I need a softer ball that wont roll off the green on a chip shot. From my experience with the warbird, it is a harder ball that tends to roll off the green when I dont get enough loft on my hit. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the HX hot bite that could tell me a little bit about it.

I use Pro V1x mostly and the regular Pro V1 some of the time. I haven't paid for a ball in about 6 years, and the Titleist balls are free, so that is why I use them.

Im going to use this as an example and am in no way condemning Floppy's choices or his play. But I see so many people say they use the pro v1 and the pro v1x. Players should NOT be using both of these. One or the other for what fits their game. Same with all of the brands. These balls are made for VERY different swings and VERY different players.

I disagree with this somewhat. My main ball is the 'x' version. There are courses that I play that have different grass for the fairways and greens than what I usually play. For whatever reason, I don't get the spin and response from the 'x' version at these courses, so I will use the regular version. My main focus when determining a ball is the reaction and play I get around the green. I want my chip shots to bounce a couple of times and stop, I may want to play a full wedge behind the hole knowing it will come back. At some courses I can't do this with the 'X'. I am not too concerned about what might happen off the driver or if there is a 5% distance difference. I hit the ball pretty straight and I can figure that out on the first couple of holes.
I urge everybody to get fit for the ball like they do their clubs so they are not throwing money away. Golf balls are expensive.
Easier said than done. Around here if you don't belong to one of the two private clubs that might do a private fitting you are SOL.

Played it quite a bit. It has a little more bite than the 2 piece balls out there. In the same price area, I prefer the E5+, and the Wilson Staff Zip.

Whats in my sig. :bridgestone:

I use Pro V1x mostly and the regular Pro V1 some of the time. I haven't paid for a ball in about 6 years, and the Titleist balls are free, so that is why I use them.

I disagree with this somewhat. My main ball is the 'x' version. There are courses that I play that have different grass for the fairways and greens than what I usually play. For whatever reason, I don't get the spin and response from the 'x' version at these courses, so I will use the regular version. My main focus when determining a ball is the reaction and play I get around the green. I want my chip shots to bounce a couple of times and stop, I may want to play a full wedge behind the hole knowing it will come back. At some courses I can't do this with the 'X'. I am not too concerned about what might happen off the driver or if there is a 5% distance difference. I hit the ball pretty straight and I can figure that out on the first couple of holes.

Easier said than done. Around here if you don't belong to one of the two private clubs that might do a private fitting you are SOL.

It is not just about spin that makes these balls very different. It is about compressing the ball off the tee. One is harder to compress than the other and will produce more sidespin and less distance by doing so. They are completely different balls and you will rarely see any teacher or fitter recommend both a single swing or student. It just does not happen.

As for ball fittings, in your area there will be a few from Bridgestone this year it seems and they fit you based on stats not just for Bridgestone balls. You can try any ball that you would like there.

Played it quite a bit. It has a little more bite than the 2 piece balls out there. In the same price area, I prefer the E5+, and the Wilson Staff Zip.

My dad uses wilson staff zips and after holding one, they feel really heavy. Does that affect your play at all?

Not at all. I have compared them to most in their price range and they work very similar.

cool. The main reason my dad bought them were because they were cheap. I havent used one yet though so i cant judge.

Tommy Armour Silver Scot. My wife bought them for me last year and I played some of the best golf I ever played, so I bought a bunch for this year. Gotta use what works! (But I'm not superstitious!) Plus, they are like $14 for two dozen at Sports Authority.

It is not just about spin that makes these balls very different. It is about compressing the ball off the tee. One is harder to compress than the other and will produce more sidespin and less distance by doing so.

You missed my point. My point was that at different courses I want the different ball so my short game is consistent no matter where I go. I am not concerned about the sidespin or distance or what happens off the tee, I can figure that out after a couple of holes. I am only concerned about how the ball reacts around the green.

I am glad that works for you, however we will continue to recommend a ball that is right for people via fitting and one that fits every shot in their game. If it is working for you, there is no reason to change like you said. Plus a fitting may not be the best idea since you get your golf balls by one brand free, so changing will most likely not take place.

Glad you found two different balls that work for you.

Jacqui uses the Pinnacle Ribbon. Hers cost more than mine! She also hasn't lost as many as me this year!

Currently attached to the Bridgestone E6+. More distance and less spin is perfect for me. I like the Taylormade XD's, Callaway Warbird 07's or Warbird Plus, Nike 312 Juice, or Srixon Trispeed. I Don't like Titleist balls at all, Too expensive and hate the feel. I will hit the Nike Platinum One's or Taylormade TP's when I find them, but not in love or skilled enough to shell out 45+ bucks a dozen.

Well it looks like I will be playing some Topflite Strata Tour Soft for a while. I found a bunch on clearance for $5 a dozen at our local Target Store. I cleaned their shelf off. I played this ball a long time ago. Can't remember any bad things about them. Little dusty, but what the heck...............:cool:

Thanks everyone. I was thinking about getting some Callaway HX Hot Bites because I need a softer ball that wont roll off the green on a chip shot. From my experience with the warbird, it is a harder ball that tends to roll off the green when I dont get enough loft on my hit. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the HX hot bite that could tell me a little bit about it.
The HX Hot Bite has a soft feel and gives decent spin, but the covers on them dont last very long.

The HX Hot Bite has a soft feel and gives decent spin, but the covers on them dont last very long.
Agreed. I like them but the covers show more damage from a wedge than anything else I've played.

Currently playing the Tour i. Got a bunch when they had the buy a dozen, get six free, making them about $26/doz. Switched from using the HX Hot Bite and HX Tour 56. When I play well I like the Tour i, soft and spinny. However, I think that I'm losing a lot of distance on mishits, even slight ones. I might try something else when I run out.

I had been using the e6 for the last year, but have used the B330- RX for the last 5 or 6 rounds and have been playing way better. I think in my case its all mental though, im sure over time the RX will let me down.

I play the Nike One Tour D. I used to play the ProV. The Tour D is a little bit longer. Around the greens it has a good feel. And, it doesn't spin too much. Most of my full irons shots land and stop.

Bridgie Tour B330-S, it's my swing speed so I get a custom ball right? LOL:D

I am also known to play these when on sale/cheap cuz ammo comes first in spending priority:

Pro V's (all flavors), Laddies, Warbirds, T-made Tour's (black and red), Lady's, One Tour D, and sometimes even cheapies and x-outs for fun/practice, and to also show ppl that it's ALWAYS the Indian, never the arrow for 99.999999999999% of us. The other .000000000001% could beat us with Wally World clubs and pinecone balls........:D

And yes I WILL play balls I have found on the course as long as they still have grip and are not waterlogged/sliced up and regardless of age. But really only use them to try and do RIDICULOUSly insane/inane/stupid shots, like thru a golf cart/under a cart, around/thru/off roof of snack stands, 40 yard fades/draws over water or whatever else I can think up...........just like PT gotta keep things exciting or you loose that "edge" ROFL!

And yes I WILL play balls I have found on the course as long as they still have grip and are not waterlogged/sliced up and regardless of age. But really only use them to try and do RIDICULOUSly insane/inane/stupid shots, like thru a golf cart/under a cart, around/thru/off roof of snack stands, 40 yard fades/draws over water or whatever else I can think up...........just like PT gotta keep things exciting or you loose that "edge" ROFL!

Like the old McDonald's commercial with Jordan. "Off Grimices head, over the arches, and nothing but net."

Back