What's your favorite Fiction novel/sci-fi/fantasy novel

OrlandoGolfBlog

KISS MY A** BALL!!
Reaction score
Handicap
Heading to Georgia on a road trip and looking for a good book to listen to. The folks in the car collectively enjoy fiction/sci-fi/fantasy.....

I highly recommend "Dune". It is sci-fi, mystery, intrigue, and political thriller all rolled into one. As a matter of fact, he wrote a series of these, they are all good.

Yeah, read Dune, big fan! Have you read Orson Scott Card's "Enders Game?"

I liked the Dark Tower Series by Stephen King in paperback version. They are probably just a good on e-book.

Without Remorse is Clancy's best. It tells the story of how Mr.Clark came to be.

Looks like it's being made into a movie according to imdb, they're working on the screenplay. I hope they don't butcher it.

I'm also a fan of the Dirk Pitt series of books by Clive Cussler. They're always a good read.

If you want a laugh, read any of the books by Carl Hiaasen

I liked the Dark Tower Series by Stephen King in paperback version. They are probably just a good on e-book.

Yeah, listened to them on audio book, an awesome series, I LOVED how he pulled characters from other stories into it.

Yeah, I'm reading "The DownHill Lie" right now, so far so good!

I loved The Downhill Lie.

Start with Tourist Season, and read the rest after that (all of his books will make you laugh). All of his books take place in south Florida, so you might enjoy reading about places you've visited. Jimmy Buffett even wrote a song about one of the characters (Skip Wiley)

Well let's see here I'd start with my favorite, Tolkien then move to:

Anything by Dean Koontz of course (sig should give that away lol)

Jim Butcher - Dresden Files, Codex Alera

Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth Series

Patrick Rothfuss - The Name of the Wind*

Tad Williams - The War of The Flowers

Clive Cussler is good too (Dirk Pitt novels the best IMO)

Preston and Child - Relic/Reliquary, other Pendegast novels (as hokey as they can be they sometimes get very edge of the seat in places)

If you like sci-fi/alt history S M Sterling has some great reads too

And as far as military fiction goes I like either stuff in the vein of Gates of Fire by Pressfield or kind of campy, yet enjoyable reads like Weber and Ringo's Empire of Man series

*Actually HIGHLY reccomend this one it kind of surprised me at how good it was, especially for high fantasy, being that is written in first person, very unusual for the genre

KWG - you ever read anything by Richard "Demo Dick" Marcinko?

His first book was a biography, but after that they're fiction. Entertaining to say the least.

Good Fiction/Sci-Fi/Fantasy huh? Here's my short list:

Fantasy:

R.A. Salvatore - any of his Forgotten Realms books (about 26 total)
Raymond Feist - Magician (or Magician: Apprentice & Magician: Master)
Robert Jordan - Wheel of Time series
Christopher Paolini - Inheritance series (Eragon, Eldest, & Brisingr so far)

Sci-Fi:

Any Warhammer 40K book covering the Space Marines
Any of the Star Wars books

Fiction:

Dale Brown - anything
Harold Coyle - anything
Richard Herman Jr - anything
Larry Bond - anything

KWG - you ever read anything by Richard "Demo Dick" Marcinko?

His first book was a biography, but after that they're fiction. Entertaining to say the least.

No I'll look into that though. Saw him on the military channel once talking about early DEVGRU/Team Six stuff very interesting stuff, especially from one who saw the beast like he did!

BTW forgot to mention Salvatore, though I don't like his Star Wars stuff, other's are very good.

Yeah, read Dune, big fan! Have you read Orson Scott Card's "Enders Game?"

"Ender's Game" is pretty darn good. My suggestion is "Speaker for the Dead" by Orson Scott Card.

I like the John Grisham novels, and have read all of the Louis Lamour books.

Although not fiction, John Feinstein is one of my favorite authors, and starting with Season on the Brink, I think I've read everything he's written or co-written.

Tolkein is of course the undisputed master. George R.R. Martin writes a very solid, adult fantasy fiction series. Game of Thrones is the first book, I believe. Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series started very well, but after book 5 or so it died, and then he died before it finished (after book 11 or so). There's another guy who writes over-the-top fantasy with crazy powerful characters, Steven Erikson, and book one of that series is Gardens of the Moon.

"Ender's Game" is pretty darn good. My suggestion is "Speaker for the Dead" by Orson Scott Card.

2nd what D-Rock said. even tho he's a kitty kat fan :D but they should be read in order, 1) Enders 2)Speaker

Another Feist fan here....

Also Eddings and the Belgariad Series..
Currently reading Salvatore and "Drizzt"..

Have another one to add:
Joe Haldeman's The Forever War

Driving from Biloxi, Mississippi to Augusta, Georgia, I bought an audio version of Slaughterhouse 5 and it gave a much better perspective of the characters than reading it. I am a huge fan of any Vonnegut books, so being able to drive and hear one was awesome.

Edit after: I realize that it probably isn't the type of book that the OP was asking about, but I saw a post regarding audio books. Sorry if it was a little "off-topic." lol

Stranger in a Strange Land-Robert Heinlein
The Foundation Series-Isaac Asimov

Stranger in a Strange Land-Robert Heinlein
The Foundation Series-Isaac Asimov

I enjoyed The caves of steel & the others books with the characters of Daneel Olivaw, Elijah Baley

Regarding fiction it is hard to go wrong with a Greg Iles novel in my opinion.

Back