Gps Watch or Laser?

bavs

Reaction score
I am in the market for a new gps device. I currently don't have a watch I wear on a daily basis but would like to. Do people who own golf watches wear them as daily watches? I have previously owned a bushnell laser and wondered if I should continue with that or go with a gps watch. All input is appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am in the market for a new gps device. I currently don't have a watch I wear on a daily basis but would like to. Do people who own golf watches wear them as daily watches? I have previously owned a bushnell laser and wondered if I should continue with that or go with a gps watch. All input is appreciated!

I believe the first episode of "The Dean Has Spoken" on THP radio covered this. Dean has both and uses both and gave some good insight on which he prefers

I believe the first episode of "The Dean Has Spoken" on THP radio covered this. Dean has both and uses both and gave some good insight on which he prefers

I completely approve of this message.

I don't usually wear a watch during normal daily routines, but like the garmin s1 gps watch as my quick go to check

I completely approve of this message.

Do you wear it away from the golf course?

Do you wear it away from the golf course?

I have but tend not to majority of the time.

That was a fun segment and the Dean had some good information.

I never wear a watch so wearing one on the course only would be strange for me. There are certainly advantages to both the laser and gps watch option. I like the ability of the laser to give me a distance to pretty much any point I want. I also like it because it helps me see what is up ahead when I am not quite sure about something.

Given my level of pay, I am good with the gps watch and knowing approximate center ... plus I can get keep score right on the watch.

I have had both, but I was constantly leaving the laser somewhere ...

I think it comes down to what you like for distance measuring.

I've never had a really good (read: expensive) rangefinder so I don't really know what i am missing there, but I do typically prefer them to simple front/middle/back information giving by a GPS. Some watches are made with a bit more detail, but for the most part that's what you're going to get.

Another solid option is the micro GPS like the GolfBuddy CT2. Can be clipped onto you or your bag and shows a ton of info.

Without a doubt, GPS

I use both. I recently got an Apple Watch and really enjoy using the Arccos app while I'm playing for ball park numbers when I am on the tee deciding what to hit or when I am very far away to figure out what club to hit for a lay up. It also helps with blind shots. I do wear it all the time. I also have a laser range finder that I use to shot hazards or the pin when I am fairly close.

Okay you can read lots and listen to THP radio about how each are good, but I wear my Bushnell daily for my watch. I got last years model for my birthday last week. I have worn it everyday as a P.E teacher and baseball coach. It is light weight and I do not notice it is there. Since having the watch I used the stopwatch feature everyday for my gym class and played 2 rounds of golf in between everything else. The watch lasted through all of it and I charged it last night. If you plan on wearing it all the time I say go for it, I am.

Okay you can read lots and listen to THP radio about how each are good, but I wear my Bushnell daily for my watch. I got last years model for my birthday last week. I have worn it everyday as a P.E teacher and baseball coach. It is light weight and I do not notice it is there. Since having the watch I used the stopwatch feature everyday for my gym class and played 2 rounds of golf in between everything else. The watch lasted through all of it and I charged it last night. If you plan on wearing it all the time I say go for it, I am.

Which model did you go with?

Which model did you go with?

Neo xs because it was on sale and the new ion was not out yet

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

I have a bushnell neo ghost that I clip on my bag and I have found having F, M, B numbers has helped my club selection greatly. The only time I have found it to be ineffective is around the greens. I personally think that is where a rangefinder comes in the most handy. Especially if you have your wedges dialed in to certain distances.

i've had gps units and lasers. i no longer have a gps unit. i'll never go without a laser.

Just a simple GPS but not a watch. Don't like things on my arm (I don't wear a regular watch).

I feel naked if I don't have a watch on. I use both a GPS watch and a rangefinder when I play though my "golf watch' is only worn when I golf. I use the rangefinder whenever I can if I need to know the exact distance to something (pin or hazard). I like to double check with the information from my watch (which gives ranges to hazards as well). The watch gives me distance to front, center, and back of green which I find valuable.

Never used a laser range finder. I am always intrigued when other golfers pull them out. I use an Apple Watch/iPhone for golf GPS. I wear the watch morning to night every day. Works well enough for me so far.

I have the GPS watch over the Laser Rangefinder. Just easier to glance down at your watch IMO.
I only wear it for golf though, when I remember to charge it. Same reason I don't wear it as my regular watch.

Last edited:
I was a gps user for a few years, but since going to a laser after the gps died, I won't go back.
I am convinced the laser is better....for my game.

I have a Garmin watch and for what I need it does the job. A friend of mine has a rangefinder and when we played at a course that neither of us had played before, we were comparing numbers and considering I was only getting F/M/B, the numbers he was getting were always between those on my watch

For example, he might laser the pin at 160yds and my watch would give F - 145 / M - 155 / B - 165 and we could see that the pin was towards the back of the green so it gave me a lot of confidence in the numbers my watch was giving me. I am not good enough to hit my clubs an exact yardage so knowing the 3 distances for me has helped a lot with club selection, especially when trying to factor in the wind if it is blowing directly into my face or directly behind

I think both have their advantages and disadvantages (line of sight limits, exact distances, etc) but only you can really decide which one would be better for you

I had used a gps watch for a couple of seasons until the battery started dying out. I decided to give a rangefinder a chance and while I love the detailed yardage, I've decided I like the ease of glancing at my wrist more. I'll keep both and will definitely still use the rangefinder as needed but if I were to purchase just one, gps watch is the way I would go. I'm also not good enough yet to need detailed yardage each shot.

I have a Garmin s4 and works for me well -- never been more than 3 yards from anything that others had so pretty close .

Back