Do You Curse After a Bad Shot?

Johneli

Reaction score
Handicap
As a boy these were my summer jobs: Worked behind a meat counter, steel mill, aluminum extrusion plant, and finally two summers in a slaughterhouse. It was in these places that I picked up let's say a more colorful approach to the English language.

When I hit a bad shot, instinctively I wanna let it all out but I temper myself based upon whom I'm playing with. But I can tell you that I'm cursing silently inside. When I'm with friends with whom I'm more comfortable .....no holds barred.

So....do you curse (either silently or out loud) at bad shots or so you have more self control and discipline or are you just more laid back and accepting of golf's cruel twists?

usually not....I let the frustration build until I hit a really bad shot and then I explode with some sort of nugget of wisdom. Then I usually play a little bit better.

Depends on my setting.

I try not to but occasionally…

I have been known to let rip on occasion

Usually my curse is pretty loud. But quick so you can't really make it out. Then after it gets to the point where I am so angry after multiple bad shots, I just don't talk.

Happens once in awhile.I normally just try to shrug it off and move on to the next shot

I cannot tell a lie...

I cuss like a sailor after a bad shot.

That would be a yes, all though I am getting better at not doing it I drop a lot of gd's and an ocassional f-bomb, but only in the company of my friends, never in front of strangers.

**** yeah.

(Under my breath, of course.)

When I took up golf several years ago, I told my buddy that it shouldn't be too hard to learn. I had fished most of my life, so I already knew how to curse and lie!!!

I try not to curse too loudly and when I am playing my best, I do not curse out loud at all. I try to maintain a calm exterior and interior and only worry about the next shot. Sometimes it works, sometimes I play poorly.

I try really hard not to curse but sometimes they just come out. I often say Son of a B***H.

potty mouth! here in the northeast that's just another way of saying 'hello'

I was in the Navy.

Yeah, probably, pretty sure I do. Here's a good one for you. I was golfing with my older brother, and "his" grand son. My brother is someone I would call being very in tune with proper etiquette in everything he does. His grandson, my nephew hit a bad shot, and let out a four letter word. Unfortunately this was not the first time this had happened when playing with his grand pa. My brother took the young man's bag off the trolley, and threw it into the water hazard. I believe that is the last time the boy has used a poorly selected word, in front of his grand pa. Yes, the set of "Pings" were recovered to be used another day.:clapp:

Provisional - That is very funny. That poor kid must have been in shock.

I was in the Navy.

Blue Arc, based on your coin marker I thought you might have a response to this thread! My father was based in San Diego during Vietnam and I was born in the naval hospital there.

Blue Arc, based on your coin marker I thought you might have a response to this thread! My father was based in San Diego during Vietnam and I was born in the naval hospital there.

That's cool Hacker. Saigon had fallen about 5 months before I enlisted. Glad your pop made it out of there. I lost an uncle.

I lived on this awhile. kitty Hawk CV-63

CV63-KittyHawkrs-1.jpg

It's a colorful language the boiler man speaks but on the course I do what's appropriate with the group I'm in but man...you talk about having to bite your tongue....

I guess I'm in the minority here. Never curse out loud on the golf course. Although cursing by my playing partners doesn't bother me, my wife has said it sometimes bothers her when a playing partner loses his/her temper. Good enough reason for me to not curse. I don't want a playing partner not enjoying him/herself on my account.

What bothers me more than a playing partner cursing is one who is whining.

I guess I'm in the minority here. Never curse out loud on the golf course. Although cursing by my playing partners doesn't bother me, my wife has said it sometimes bothers her when a playing partner loses his/her temper. Good enough reason for me to not curse. I don't want a playing partner not enjoying him/herself on my account.

I agree with you. I consider it an act of letting out a little steam so the pot doesn't boil over. I curse to myself, at my tee box, so I can come back and be cheerful again.

It all kind of depends on who I'm playing with and the shot itself. If it's an otherwise easy shot that I just completely screw up and it's a casual setting I could probably teach Andrew Dice Clay a few new words....man nothing chaps my ace more than just simply blowing an easy shot. I am ready to start cussing right now!

Back