Maybe Diaz will be an assistant captain, or assistant to the captain.

I strongly believe Wie will get a pick. Although she hasn't won a tourny, she's playing very well, hits it very far, is well liked on tour and isn't a primadonna, and is hungry for success. Plus, she will be more likely to bring in big crowds, which will motivate all of the US players to excel.

One of the captions reads, "Christina Kim does and [sic] interview." Who's proofing this stuff?

I was wondering where Anna Nordqvist's win put her on the European side--it's down towards the bottom of the page.

Maybe Diaz will be an assistant captain, or assistant to the captain.

I strongly believe Wie will get a pick. Although she hasn't won a tourny, she's playing very well, hits it very far, is well liked on tour and isn't a primadonna, and is hungry for success. Plus, she will be more likely to bring in big crowds, which will motivate all of the US players to excel.

I agree with you 100%. However I am not sure that there is not a "backlash" by some of the older players ad coaches about her and her publicity. There is absolutely NO reason to pick Diaz over Wie at this point. As for match play experience, she has quite a bit as an amateur.

It would be good if Wie made the team, but not qualifying for the Open really hurts her chances. It would be hard to justify a Captain's pick on someone who didn't even qualify to play in one of the most important tournaments of the year. If she could win a tournament, then I think she'd be in.

Diaz will be on the team as a captain's pick or if she improves her standing on the list. There's only 4 points between her and Brittany Lincicome, and both will make the team. But I can't see who would be other captain's pick. Stacy P or Inkster is my guess, whoever has the best finishes in the remaining tournaments.

I think Julie Inkster is a lock for a captain's pick. She has so much experience and the top 10 is lacking that. I can see the argument for both Diaz and Wie. Diaz has the experience and more points. I think if Michelle does well in the tournaments leading up to the Cup then I could see picking her as the hot golfer at the moment. I do think her lack of experience and her difficulty on Sundays may hurt her chances. However, I am willing to bet the attention that she brings to a golf tournament will have an impact on her being picked. I think that is what will slide things to her favor.

Just an update as of June 28th: Stacy Lewis picked up some point and moved up to 21st (never going to make the team just nice to see her have a good tournament) No other really big move, little switching of spots in the top 10. Double points available at the US Open.

U.S. SOLHEIM CUP POINTS - 2009
Last Updated: Sunday, June 28, 2009
Rank Player Points
1 Paula Creamer 696.0
2 Cristie Kerr 600.5
3 Angela Stanford 573.0
4 Brittany Lang 288.0
5 Nicole Castrale 278.0
6 Kristy McPherson 276.0
7 Christina Kim 255.0
8 Morgan Pressel 220.0
9 Natalie Gulbis 201.0
10 Brittany Lincicome 199.0
11 Laura Diaz 177.0
12 Stacy Prammanasudh 170.0
13 Pat Hurst 164.0
14 Juli Inkster 152.0
15 Jane Park 141.0
16 Wendy Ward 117.5
17 Michelle Wie 105.0
18 Meaghan Francella 102.5
19 Irene Cho 90.5
20 Michele Redman 82.0
T21 Stacy Lewis 69.0

The Wie-nerd only moved up one spot. :sad:

I want her to make it in on points so both she and Stacy Lewis (w/ Captain's pick) can get in.

Michelle lost an great opportunity for points not qualifying for the US Open.

She can still win this week and get in. :act-up:
(or Stacy Lewis can win it and then Beth Daniels can pick Wie.)

From USA Today:

LPGA golfers vie for coveted Solheim Cup spots

By Robert Klemko, USA TODAY
Even though the Solheim Cup is more than six weeks away, the LPGA's premier team event has long been on the minds of the players involved.
Held every two years, the tournament pits 12 Americans against 12 Europeans.

In a sport where the accomplishments of individuals are paramount, the team setting of the Solheim Cup is a welcome deviation.

"It's the most fun I've ever had playing golf," says Meg Mallon, an assistant captain this year who has played on eight Cup teams since 1992. "I grew up playing team sports, so to be able to have that team camaraderie and then to play for your country is just the coolest thing."

The 2009 Solheim Cup is slated for Aug. 21-23 at Rich Harvest Farms in Sugar Grove, Ill. Until then, players will chase 10 automatic spots on the U.S. Cup points list, a measure of player performance on the LPGA tour. Two more spots will be handed out by team captain Beth Daniel.

Since the tournament began in 1990, the USA has won seven of 10, including the 2007 tournament in Halmstad, Sweden.

Angela Stanford, a member of that winning U.S. team, says she began looking forward to the biennial event the day it ended less than two years ago.

"I think that's the best week out of every two years," says Stanford, who is in the field this week at the Jamie Farr Owens Corning Classic in Sylvania, Ohio. "I always think about Solheim Cup. Everybody plays to win, but I live for Solheim Cup."

Daniel has enlisted four undercover "spies" to evaluate potential team members. She says each is intimately involved in the tour, though she won't give up their identities.

"The hardest part of any captain's job is your captain's picks," Daniel says. "It's not the two that you pick, it's trying to explain to the ones that think they're going to get picked and don't. It's hard to try to explain to them that something that they worked for for two years is not going to come to fruition."

Daniel was captain Betsy King's assistant two years ago in Sweden. As a player, she was a member of U.S. Cup-winning teams in 1990, 1994, 1996, 2002 and 2005.

Daniel says she uses three criteria for choosing the right players. "First, how are they going to fit in with the team?" Daniel says. "Obviously you're not going to pick someone that everyone dislikes.

"Then you also look for someone who could potentially be a good partner for somebody who's already on the team, so their games mesh well together. ... And then I'm looking at stats. I'm looking for someone who is playing really well going into that event."

Cristie Kerr, Stanford and Paula Creamer, the defending champion at the Jamie Farr, are virtual locks for the U.S. team.

Kerr — a member of the last four Solheim Cup teams — is second on the LPGA money list and has eight top-10 finishes in 13 tournaments, including a win in the Michelob Ultra Open in May.

"It's always in the back of your mind, even if it isn't a Solheim year," says Kerr, 31. "If you want to make the team the following year, you don't want to leave anything to chance. You want to get out ahead in points, at least I do. I don't want to worry about it."

soxy, you're slipping!

We depend on you for out Solheim Cup point information!
1 Paula Creamer 744.0
2 Cristie Kerr 665.0
3 Angela Stanford 573.0
4 Nicole Castrale 314.0
5 Brittany Lang 288.0
6 Morgan Pressel 277.0
7 Kristy McPherson 276.0
8 Christina Kim 255.0
9 Brittany Lincicome 250.0
10 Natalie Gulbis 201.0
11 Laura Diaz 177.0
12 Stacy Prammanasudh 170.0
13 Pat Hurst 164.0
14 Juli Inkster 152.0
15 Jane Park 141.0
16 Michelle Wie 133.5
17 Wendy Ward 132.5
18 Meaghan Francella 117.5
19 Irene Cho 90.5
20 Allison Fouch 84.0
21 Michele Redman 82.0
22 Stacy Lewis 69.0
23 Leta Lindley 67.0
T24 Jill McGill 58.0
T24 Heather Young 58.0

I am! Thanks for covering for me!:blob:

Wonder if it pisses off Jane Park (of "ass rape" Twitter fame) that Michelle may hopscotch her on the captain's pick.

Only 2 more events for the ladies to earn points, but one is a major worth double points.

This is going to be very interesting.

EDIT:

Wonder if it pisses off Jane Park (of "ass rape" Twitter fame) that Michelle may hopscotch her on the captain's pick.

I bet Michelle passes her on the list after the next two events.

Morgan made a nice jump up to 6th after three great finishes in a row. Nicole Castrale gained a lot of points, but it only moved her up one spot. Brittany Lincicome has to feel a little better about hopping Natalie to get out of the 10 spot. The Brittish Open will be double points so that could make the top 10 and of course the captain's picks interesting!

Ron Sirak's Golf World article about the Biven's letter/resignation stated that some players were thinking about threatening to boycott the Solheim Cup if Biven's wasn't fired! I don't think they would really want to do it. I am sure they were hoping to only have to threaten it.

Sirak Golf World Article

LPGA.com has a poll on "What player would you like to see on the Solheim Cup team who is not currently in the Top 10?"

Current Results:

Laura Diaz - 7%
Pat Hurst - 2%
Stacy P. - 6%
Juli Inkster - 21%
Michelle Wie - 55%
Other - 6%

It has to be Wie as i have stated in before. THey have made too many mistakes not to pick her. But I just have a feeling that they are not going to as a "lesson" of some sort.

LPGA.com has a poll on "What player would you like to see on the Solheim Cup team who is not currently in the Top 10?"

Current Results:

Laura Diaz - 7%
Pat Hurst - 2%
Stacy P. - 6%
Juli Inkster - 21%

Michelle Wie - 55%
WSE in a skort - 45%
Other - 6%

Corrected.

It has to be Wie as i have stated in before. THey have made too many mistakes not to pick her. But I just have a feeling that they are not going to as a "lesson" of some sort.

That is called cutting off your nose to spite your face. :banghead: JB I hope you are wrong but I get the feeling you will turn out to be correct.

I think Beth will pick her especially if she finishes well in these last 2 events. She's said that she's going to be looking at who's playing well leading up to the Solheim and so far none of the others out of the top 10 have done much. Diaz, Park and Hurst either missed the cut or withdrew at the Open. Stacy P made the cut, but little else. At least Inkster had a decent finish.

If Wie had been able to play as many tournaments as Paula Creamer did when she made the team in her rookie year, she'd probably be around 11 or 12 in the standings right now.

2009 Solheim Cup countdown:
- 19 days until U.S. and European teams are announced following the RICOH Women's British Open; and
- 38 days until matches begin at Rich Harvest Farms in Sugar Grove, Ill.

2009 Solheim Cup countdown:
- 19 days until U.S. and European teams are announced following the RICOH Women's British Open; and
- 38 days until matches begin at Rich Harvest Farms in Sugar Grove, Ill.

I can't remember, are you going soxy?

I wish I was and had actually planed on going for the last two years. However, life has come up and I can't make it. I will be there NO MATTER WHAT in 2013. Hope it is at a good site, it hasn't been announced yet. Maybe I will try for Killeen Castle in Ireland in 2011. That would be cool!

This has now reminded me how sad I am that I can't go this year. :sad: Maybe still working on it, but not looking good.

I wish I was and had actually planed on going for the last two years. However, life has come up and I can't make it. I will be there NO MATTER WHAT in 2013. Hope it is at a good site, it hasn't been announced yet. Maybe I will try for Killeen Castle in Ireland in 2011. That would be cool!

This has now reminded me how sad I am that I can't go this year. :sad: Maybe still working on it, but not looking good.

Same for me soxy. Same for me.

Very annoyed.

Back