Woods will hit only a handful of drivers at most off the tee each day

BigLeftyinAZ

Reaction score
Tiger takes third practice round

Tiger Up To The Challenge At Turnberry

TURNBERRY, Scotland -- A lack of familiarity with this week's Open Championship venue appears to be of little concern to Tiger Woods, who got his third look at Turnberry's Ailsa course on Tuesday morning in preparation for the year's third major championship.

"You just have to do more homework in your practice rounds," Woods said during a Tuesday news conference. "I've obviously seen it on TV but I haven't played it yet [in a tournament]. It was nice to get out there. I played the last three days, and I've had basically the same wind but three different directions, which was nice.

"And try to get a little bit different feel for how the golf course is playing. You've just got to really make sure you do your homework while you're playing, because I can't rely on past years' experience."

As evidence, Woods appeared for his first practice round on Sunday with a Strokesaver book that any resort guest would use to try to navigate his way around the course.

If his practice rounds have been any indication, Woods will hit only a handful of drivers at most off the tee each day. Woods used that game plan to perfection three years ago at Royal Liverpool -- another Open venue he had never played before tournament week -- hitting just a single driver the entire week on his way to a third Open title.

"You have to be committed to either putting the ball short of the bunkers or carrying them or skirting it past them," Woods said. "You have to make sure you really know what you're doing out there, especially with the cross winds and the way some of these fairways are slanted. It certainly presents its challenges."

Woods can take some comfort in knowing that Turnberry has a history of identifying the best player of the era as its champion.

Tom Watson defeated Jack Nicklaus by a single stroke in the famous "Duel in the Sun" here in 1977. Greg Norman shot 63 during the second round on his way to the 1986 title. And Nick Price, who would also go on to win the PGA Championship a month later, claimed the 1994 Claret Jug.

"If you look at it that way, you look at the guys who were some of the best ball strikers," Woods said. "At this golf course, you can understand why. You really do have to hit your ball well, here. And you have to drive the ball well. You have to hit your irons well. You just can't fake it around this golf course. You have to hit good golf shots.

"And those four guys ... those are some of the best ball strikers of all time, or certainly in their eras."

Woods, who missed last year's Open due to injury, had played in the tournament every year going back to his amateur days in 1995 and has never missed the cut. His three victories were in 2000, 2005 and 2006.

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/britishopen09/news/story?id=4325867&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

I really enjoyed watching Tiger execute this same strategy in 2006. The idea of only hitting one driver all week and winning the tournament is amazing to me.

I really enjoyed watching Tiger execute this same strategy in 2006. The idea of only hitting one driver all week and winning the tournament is amazing to me.

....especially when you knock in 4 iron on number 11 for an eagle.

Tiger will find Turnberry a lot more difficult than Lytham. Having played the course in the last fortnight,and having seen how narrow the fairways are,and the depth of the rough,he might just struggle. :banana:

He's not hitting driver because he's not good enough to. I know a few guys that I play with occasionally like this. It's sad really. :tongue:

He's not hitting driver because he's not good enough to. I know a few guys that I play with occasionally like this. It's sad really. :tongue:

P4B, you know you are right. I hadn’t thought of it from that angle.:rotfl:

Now if only his competition will take notice of his plan of attack, and not let their egos get in the way. Might make for a more competitive event. I am hoping for US Open weather. :banghead:

I don't think the course is long enough that it requires any pro's to use driver.

Yea,He isn't good enough.But,sure can kick some ass though

Yea,He isn't good enough.But,sure can kick some ass though

I haven't had a chance to look at Turnberry in detail, but I've generally thought for the past two years at least, that Tiger as well as a lot of the rest of us should employ the 3w more than he/we has/have done so in the past. (Has anybody ever really consistently controlled their driver over a long period of time? I'm pretty sure Nicklaus didn't. Maybe Jones or Hogan, but they were before my time and never saw them play.)You only loose a little distance and gain a great deal of accuracy when you compare it to the driver. Any loss of length off the tee would seem to be minimal and can be made up for with his out of this world short game. Tiger is so long off the tee anyway that it seems like a great trade-off. He has employed the use of the 3 wood a great deal in his last several tourneys and has done well. Seems to be great strategy and one that has worked well recently.

Johneli what do you think about Tiger's use of the 3w? Where are you when I need you?:rofl:

Back