Putting Sweet Spot - Your Game

I'd put myself into the +65% category with my current gamer, which I have been using for nearly 10 years now. I generally know if a putt is going to be short or if it will have a chance. Now this assumes I'm comfortable with the speed on the green or having read the right line, which is are two WHOLE different things!

I honestly don't know, and I honestly don't mind not knowing. As long as the results are there, which is holing it or close to that, everything is peachy.

I actually hit very long putts off a bit to the toe, for some reason that works better for me. As long as it's in or my next putt is a near-gimme, I'm fine with it.

I am a decent putter and would say hitting the perfect sweetspot would be 10% or less. I am generally in the vicinity of the sweetspot, but I may be left/right or high/low on most putts.

To answer some of the questions, the sweetspot is pretty small and depending on putter design the impact of missing the sweet spot will vary. The sweetspot itself is the point on the putter where the most energy is transferred to the ball. Miss the sweetspot and less energy is transferred. In a high MOI putter, missing the sweetspot is masked because the putters resists twisting and won't impact distance control as much as a lower moi putter. The more a putter twists, the more inconsistent distance control and direction will be.

Most people assume that the sweetspot is where the line or dot on the putter is drawn and this would be an incorrect assumption. One way to find the sweetspot is:

Putting Sweet Spot - Your Game

I am a decent putter and would say hitting the perfect sweetspot would be 10% or less. I am generally in the vicinity of the sweetspot, but I may be left/right or high/low on most putts.

To answer some of the questions, the sweetspot is pretty small and depending on putter design the impact of missing the sweet spot will vary. The sweetspot itself is the point on the putter where the most energy is transferred to the ball. Miss the sweetspot and less energy is transferred. In a high MOI putter, missing the sweetspot is masked because the putters resists twisting and won't impact distance control as much as a lower moi putter. The more a putter twists, the more inconsistent distance control and direction will be.

Most people assume that the sweetspot is where the line or dot on the putter is drawn and this would be an incorrect assumption. One way to find the sweetspot is:

This is interesting. I asked two putter manufacturers about this thread yesterday and I had missed your post previously.

While I agree MOI has a huge impact in directional control, I'm not sure how twisting would impact pure ball speed. Now the two can go hand in hand due to putter design and mass behind the ball as you move further away (see cure), but in so many other high MOI cases, missing center still results in less ball speed.

Back