Suggestions for newbie w/clubs....

clg82

Banned
Reaction score
I am just getting started in golf again. Last time I truly played was about 5 years ago. I used a set of walmart clubs that my grandparents bought for me. I just purchased a Callaway Diablo Big Bertha driver, and the x22 irons. Just waiting for delivery. Is this a good starting combination? I have used the driver and i think it's amazing. Also should I get the clubs fitted or just get used to them as is and then fit them? I also used to have iron shafts but am not getting graphite. Will I notice a difference? thanks for all the help in advance.~Chris

Both are very good sets and you should enjoy them quite a bit. I do urge everybody that buys new clubs to get fit before ordering and make sure that the clubs match your game. Because these clubs are cast, I would have recommended getting fitted before time. They cannot be bent too much.

Both are very good sets and you should enjoy them quite a bit. I do urge everybody that buys new clubs to get fit before ordering and make sure that the clubs match your game. Because these clubs are cast, I would have recommended getting fitted before time. They cannot be bent too much.

Cast? Not sure what you mean........also if you can help me how do I set up my signature?

Cast is just a way to make the club. Callaway irons cannot be bent much more than a degree once done. So it may be hard to fit them if you needed say 2* flat or upright.

As for sig.
The Hackers Paradise

thanks buddy

I posted this in the other thread, but adding it in here as well:

As far as clubs, I can't say much bad about the Diablo or X-22's. They're great clubs, and very forgiving. You should love them.

I'm going to guess that the Diablo is coming with the $1 Diablo Fairway wood or Hybrid offer? I'd add in the #3 Fairway or #5 Fairway to give you a little more reach beyond what the 3 iron will cover.

With the PW and SW you have 45* and 56* wedges, which should work well. Maybe add the AW (51*) to bridge the distance gap between them.

For a putter, I would say find a store with a big selection of putters and demo everything you can to find out what looks/feels/works the best for you. Rife, Odyssey, Ping, TaylorMade, SeeMore, Yes!, Heavy, etc all make great putters and you never know what will work best for you.

I posted this in the other thread, but adding it in here as well:

Cool thanks man i'll keep that in mind. how often are we really supposed to use the 3 and 5 woods? I generally like to go with my driver and then the irons. I think that's just a preference. I got the diablo driver off of ebay for an incredible price so I didn't get to take advantage of the $1 deal......

Cool thanks man i'll keep that in mind. how often are we really supposed to use the 3 and 5 woods? I generally like to go with my driver and then the irons. I think that's just a preference. I got the diablo driver off of ebay for an incredible price so I didn't get to take advantage of the $1 deal......

Nothing wrong with getting stuff off ebay. Most of my bag - including the bag itself! - came from ebay. :D

For the fairway woods, it just depends on how far out you are. For me, I use them on the long Par 3's and short Par 4's (210-250 yards or so), and often for a second shot on a Par 5 if I feel like going for the green in 2 or coming close.

Nothing wrong with getting stuff off ebay. Most of my bag - including the bag itself! - came from ebay. :D

For the fairway woods, it just depends on how far out you are. For me, I use them on the long Par 3's and short Par 4's (210-250 yards or so), and often for a second shot on a Par 5 if I feel like going for the green in 2 or coming close.

You guys don't make it on the green in one on Par 4's or par 5's? Am i the only one>:) :clapp: just kidding

LOL, I just spit ice tea all over my desk!

Back