Callaway Great Big Bertha Driver Review Thread

Absolutely pounded this thing today at #StaffProto! It just wants to go straight.

I need to get some more range time and tinker with the the sliding weight.

With the 14BB I had the sliding weight +1 to the fade side and it had me with a straight ball flight and a little right to left occasionally. I just looked and my GBB is set to +1 on the draw and I've been seeing a more severe right to left flight (not a hook) and it's messing with me. I can't wait until December to get dialed in.

It will continue to do so...take it back to place of purchase and get a replacement. My replacement has not budged in 5 rounds since getting it exchanged.

Got it direct from Callaway. Maybe I should call them. Hate to have to send it back though and be without a driver.

For me I wish that was the case, I can fade most drivers, can only go left with this one. Have tried 7 different shafts and it's no Bueno. Damn shame, just a beautiful looking club.
Didn't you have the same problem with the 2014 Big Bertha? Interesting all of the Berthas want to go that direction for you. I have a little of that problem since my miss is toward the toe. Putting the slide in fade help that though.

Got it direct from Callaway. Maybe I should call them. Hate to have to send it back though and be without a driver.
Give them a shout...they will take care of you. Understand the without time though. Maybe they can authorize a local exchange. Just speculation and have no idea if they can or not.

Give them a shout...they will take care of you. Understand the without time though. Maybe they can authorize a local exchange. Just speculation and have no idea if they can or not.

I'll give them a call on Monday morning. Hopefully they will either replace the weight or the whole head itself. Hoping I can keep the shaft as I had it ordered at -1 inch and with a MCC Plus4 grip.

My GBB is at 10, Draw Setting, with an Oban Isawa 55 (mid launch, mid spin, active bend), and since my miss is towards the toe, the APW is set all the way to fade. Acc. to Callaway, putting the weight towards your miss will extend the sweet spot. Seems to work. Flight is straight to a slight draw.
Our stats are virtually the same. Did you try the Aldila Rogue 60 Silver shaft? I have hit the White Tie 55/4, ok but was not convinced on it. The Aldila is ok, but wondering if I could use a slightly lighter shaft to get another mph or two of ball speed since it is around 67 grams I believe.

Last edited:
Hit mine on the range for first time today and was pleased with trajectory and slight draw. Left slider in the middle. What effect does moving it to "fade" have?

I put the perimeter weighting in the direction of my miss - When missing, it's typically towards the toe - so I move the weighting towards fade to place more weight in that direction. Acc. to Nadelmann at Callaway, that expands the sweetspot. Still get my straight to draw flight in D setting.

If you don't have a particular miss, see what the club is doing and put the weight to your preferred flight.

What a difference a day makes, went out today and hit the Bertha driver well today, also hitthe great big Bertha 3 wood further than I have any 3 wood and made a birdie because of it. Ended up shooting 88 and broke 90 for the first time. So happy onto next target now.

They authorized a local exchange when my 3W was defective a few months ago. Shipped my replacement to the course and I was never without. They should fix you up. Seeing you had the shaft altered they'll likely just ship you a new head.

Wonder if the sliding weight will cause a recall? Seems like many just on this forum alone are having issues with the weight moving unintentionally.

Wonder if the sliding weight will cause a recall? Seems like many just on this forum alone are having issues with the weight moving unintentionally.

Yeah, I want to get to Dick's or Golfsmith, etc. soon and try a few drivers...GBB being one of them, but I find the weight moving around a bit curious.

Callaway Great Big Bertha Driver Review Thread

Based on my conversations, isolated incidents and a very small number. They are of course fixing any issues like most manufacturers as they arise.

I definitely don't think it's a rampant issue. I've changed mine for review work and play literally 75+ times with no issues. As with anything, sometimes things happen, the nice thing is that if it does occur it will be taken care of.

I don't know that I'd say "many" have the problem. As there even been more than a handful on this site?

I wouldn't panic. I think back to the apex pros when they came out and the stupid little rubber piece would fall out. Quick call to Callaway replaced it no problem. I don't remember seeing many used apex pros with the inserts missing.

I don't know that I'd say "many" have the problem. As there even been more than a handful on this site?

I guess your right. Every person that has had an issue will post bad press. However not everyone playing the GBB not having an issue may be participating in the discussion therefore my ratio is flawed.

Just hope that Cally is taking these early failures into account and fixing the issue on the inventory that hasn't shipped to stores yet.

Stinks for the guy who bought one used and Cally wouldn't help him out.

If I paid $300+ for a used club that was barely hit and dumped by somebody who didn't care for it, and the sliding weight failed on me I'd be pretty bummed if the oem wouldn't fix it for me. Especially when Cally and the retailer both got their margin on it.

Wonder if it's a head issue or an issue with the sliding weight? Has Cally confirmed which is the culprit? If it's the track on the head itself that is a much more costly venture to fix for Cally. If it's just a bad weight or screw that's obviously a much cheaper fix for them.

Wouldn't say recall caliber or even numerous issues when you look at total volume of sales. I think maybe 3 have posted similar experience with the weights moving. All have been or will be taken care of I imagine. When you are talking used it is difficult to hold the original seller or manufacturer liable for a fix. Things happen once outside the original transaction that they can not control. However, if this does become a known issue...I'm sure even those will be taken care of as Callaway's service is outstanding.

Bad press...I don't think anyone here has said anything negative about the issue. Honest feedback is vital for true performance and experience for those looking in and here is where you will find it.

Still amazed with this driver and it won't be going anywhere soon.

Maiden voyage with the GBB in the bag. Ordered with 2015 Diamana blue at standard length. Set to 11.5 draw. Like any new driver, I was able to capitalize on the out of wrapper length. Did see anything crazy but my length and control was were I have come to expect it.
I don't think the shaft is 100% maximizing my launch but that will change this week. If someone told me that I had to play as it is setup, I'd do so with a smile. I lmint pay to close attention to the sound but it didn't bother me. It did feel lighter than the 816 (feels like a hammer). Just solid at impact and explosive when I need it.
I will say that the setup was solid when I pumped it up to my top end. No flarge rights to speak of.

I played my brothers GBB today. I had some great drives. He had it set closed a little to help with his slice (mine too). I had probably one of my best days driving the ball, both distance and in the short stuff. I did have a few balls go left and right. He was getting mad because I was out driving him with his own driver.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

I'll give them a call on Monday morning. Hopefully they will either replace the weight or the whole head itself. Hoping I can keep the shaft as I had it ordered at -1 inch and with a MCC Plus4 grip.

Just got off the phone with Callaway customer service. They are requiring me to send the entire club back, including shaft, and then will send me a new club with the same shaft specs I originally ordered. Not sure how long the process will take or if the new driver will have the same issue but either way it's nice that they're going to swap everything out. I've been thinking more about this issue and I'm curious if it's not a property of my swing mechanics. I don't have the best swing and when it gets bad I have a tendency to come slightly over the top on an outside to inside path. I'm just wondering if that momentum and force on impact don't cause the weight to move? I wonder if some of the others that have this issue possibly have the same swing flaw at times???

Just got off the phone with Callaway customer service. They are requiring me to send the entire club back, including shaft, and then will send me a new club with the same shaft specs I originally ordered. Not sure how long the process will take or if the new driver will have the same issue but either way it's nice that they're going to swap everything out. I've been thinking more about this issue and I'm curious if it's not a property of my swing mechanics. I don't have the best swing and when it gets bad I have a tendency to come slightly over the top on an outside to inside path. I'm just wondering if that momentum and force on impact don't cause the weight to move? I wonder if some of the others that have this issue possibly have the same swing flaw at times???

Are you striking the ground on a lot of your drives?

I struggled to find the center of the face all day Saturday, but was still able to keep it in play and with considerable distance. It's nice to have a club that keeps me in the game at least when I'm not at my best.

Are you striking the ground on a lot of your drives?

Occasionally but not often. In this case I can visually see the weight moving after every swing and the ground was nowhere to be found. On the sliding track you can even see where it is a bit discolored from the weight moving on it while being torqued in place.

Back