What did you shoot today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Played The Preserve at Saddlebrooke Ranch today. This is a beautiful course set into the western foothills of the Catalina Mountains. It is well laid out and has some spectacular views. I shot 88 and this was the first time I had seen the course. I made a few tactical errors due to lack of knowledge, but I also hit a few errant shots. 44 both sides.

78 at the locale venue, have to play junior tourney there tomorrow morning...its me pinned against my lifetime rival-------

fairways and greens, fairways and greens

A disastrous 86. Not only could I not tee off (hit 3 fairways), I also 3 putted 7 greens. My ball striking with my irons is the only thing that kept me in the game. After reviewing the last couple of putters, going back to mine was tough.

103:banana: 48 front and 55 back. The round was late so I went to the range and worked on my swing for a bit and worked on putting for hours. Putts were actually going in the hole. Ha! I found a new ball that I'm liking a lot. The E6+. Good ball. I think the range in the morning was maybe not a good idea. I got tired on the back nine. I mean really tired. Had a lot of fun but a little disappointed with the back nine. It got real frustrating to watch them strokes add up. Ha!

That E6+ ball will really help keep the ball straight off the tee.

I didn't go to the course, but I went to the range. Worked with my alignment tool I made with CPVC pipe! I think I have, for the most part, corrected my "I don't know where I am going to hit it" problem. After working at the range I went over to the practice bunkers and dropped about 25 range balls in and hit three sets of bunker shots. In around 75 shots, I hit maybe 5 short of the green, 3 over the green (contacted nothing but ball) and left 4 in the bunker. The rest were somewhere on the green. My second set I put them all within 20 feet of the hole I was aiming at. The first and third set is where I had my misses, most in the first.

I am going to make it a point to hit the practice bunker with every range session.

I didn't go to the course, but I went to the range. Worked with my alignment tool I made with CPVC pipe! I think I have, for the most part, corrected my "I don't know where I am going to hit it" problem. After working at the range I went over to the practice bunkers and dropped about 25 range balls in and hit three sets of bunker shots. In around 75 shots, I hit maybe 5 short of the green, 3 over the green (contacted nothing but ball) and left 4 in the bunker. The rest were somewhere on the green. My second set I put them all within 20 feet of the hole I was aiming at. The first and third set is where I had my misses, most in the first.

I am going to make it a point to hit the practice bunker with every range session.

What kind of practice aid did you make smalls?

I haven't taken a picture of it yet, but it's very similar to this:

Golf%20Alignment%20Aid.JPG

Helps me keep the ball positioned correctly. (I was letting the ball get too far forward in my stance and was hitting everything left).

10 feet of 1/2" CPVC pipe, a 1/2" Tee, total of less than three bucks. I set the ball at the end of the perpendicular pipe, which I cut to several different lengths (for woods, mid irons and short irons).

I only used this on the range, not the practice bunker.

83 in the tourney...doubled the last hole because i lost focus(i had second place locked up but 1st was outta reach)

Shot the highest number I have shot in over a year. Shot a 94 and could not do anything right. Missed all but 1 fairway. Missed 16 greens. 3 putted 8 holes. Not a good day out there. But I did have fun. I will say part of the issue was using the black golf balls that we are reviewing. Miss the fairway at my course and you are dropping because you just cannot see them.

Shot the highest number I have shot in over a year. Shot a 94 and could not do anything right. Missed all but 1 fairway. Missed 16 greens. 3 putted 8 holes. Not a good day out there. But I did have fun. I will say part of the issue was using the black golf balls that we are reviewing. Miss the fairway at my course and you are dropping because you just cannot see them.

Black balls cannot be easy to use, ugh! Based on the "what did you wear" thread you looked SMOOTH while doing it though JB. You'll put up a ridiculously low number next time you go out, that's just golf.

Not a good sign for the black ball review. To get back your edge, maybe you should do what professional boxers do before a match, and try :blob: ones instead?

I just died laughing.

Yeah, but i had 3-4 rounds in the 70s the last 2 weeks I believe. Changing clubs kills my scores.

yeah they were real bad dent. Club testing is causing harm.

Yeah, but i had 3-4 rounds in the 70s the last 2 weeks I believe. Changing clubs kills my scores.

Yeah you did! Sorry the black balls got the best of you but I got to tell you...seeing someone that shoots in the 70's have a high score...I find comfort in knowing that it happens to others and not just me. Ha! We'll just have to beat them next round! I'm averaging around 108 but every now and then I can card a REAL stinker! ...as if 108 isn't bad enough!

yeah, it happens to us all. I found myself having a lot of fun out there today though, which is rare when I am playing poorly.

Yeah having fun is what it's all about. Sometimes when it goes real bad...I start to get frustrated to no end so I just put the card away and use the round for learning. Thing is about the time I put the card away and relax...I find game! Ha!

Shot a 99 from the black tees at TPC, with 34 putts. I had a 10 on one hole that ruined me. I had no business playing from those tees but it was fun to try something different.

That is pretty good TGM

That is pretty good TGM

Im pretty happy with it. I seem to be getting out of this funk I have been in.

Bear with me as this is a long post...not sure where I would put a mini review of a course. Played Erin Hills today which is just outside of Hartford, Wi.

This course is brutal, there is no water & relatively few tree's but there is a ton of sand, elevation changes, blind approach shots, etc. I have a number of pics I will post up later. It's not a pretty course as most links courses aren't, it's all about the golf here & that's it.

They are still working on the course getting it ready for the 2011 US Amateur so there is still a lot of bare dirt, ground under repair, etc. They made the course even longer than it used to be & supposedly are 1 signature away from getting the 2017 US Open.

5 sets of tee boxes, With the shortest playing at 5631 yds & the longest are super nasty "Back Blacks" which stretch out 8348 yds!!! I played from the greens which used to be something like 6300 yds & I never looked at the card until my rd was over. They currently play at 6838 yds with a slope rating of 72.8/132. This is the longest course I have ever played & it showed as I simply don't have the game for 430-450 yd par 4's. I was just laying up, hitting the greens in 3 & hoping for a 1 putt. Longest hole was the 18th & from my tee's it was 620 yds....I was happy with a bogey on it.

Had a 47 front & a 44 on the back for a 91, not great but considering it was my 1st time there & the longest course I have ever played I am happy. Hit 10 out of 14 fairways but only had 1 GIR...I sucked on the par 3's & didn't hit a single one.

Played the front with a slooooooooowwwwwww threesome, the ranger was watching us & twice pulled the 3 of them aside & told them to speed the heck up as we were already at the 2.5 hr mark on the 8th hole & it's supposed to take 2 hrs 20 min top for 9. The ranger & I spoke for a bit & he told me to go ahead by myself as it was obvious these guys were slowing me down....I was more than happy to do just that & played the back 9 in 75 minutes.

2 things about this course, brutal winds are always there & the greens are fast! I have never played greens this quick before, I was told they were running a 10-11 stimp today but they could make them faster. I can see why the pro's have issues with fast greens now, you could be 20-30' away from the hole & barely tap the ball & it would go zooming past the hole. Chipping from the backside onto a green that ran away from you was scary, only option was try & land it on the apron & let it dribble towards the hole. I enjoyed the heck out of the greens & would choose fast over slow any day of the week.

Now the wind, on the front it wasn't too bad but on the back it really picked up. 15th tee is elevated & a slight dogleg left. You need just over 200 yds to hit the fairway but the wind is blowing in your face at 25-30 mph & that's no lie. I didn't think I could drive the ball into that wind & hit the fairway. barely made it with about 6" to spare.

The bathrooms on the course as well as the building at the turn are all built of stone & similar in appearance to the old courses in Ireland & Scotland. The clubhouse has a similar appearance. They have caddies or forecaddies if you want. The driving range balls are all ProV1's & NXT Tours. Kinda weird having a huge basket of ProV1's right next to you....had to be 300-400 balls in each of those baskets.

Anyhoo this has been a long post but if any of you get the chance to play here, do so. It won't knock your socks off visually but the quality of golf & the entire golfing experience would be hard to be beat anywhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back