Callaway XR OS Irons Preview

Me too. I own the standard XRs and love them, but I wonder if the performance changes on the OS are substantial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The changes in performance are substantial. I got the same distance with higher trajectory and way more forgiveness. The OS heads are only slightly larger than the XRs.

They kinda look just like last years xr's to me.
They are very similar in look (IMO) yesterday at the demo today. I watched several people not be able to tell the new from the old at first glance.

You almost have to look for the ID on the hosel.

I didn't hit them so I can't say anything about performance. But here's a look at address.

e12d1373966ecc0a94ff9b699df5f3d3.jpg

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The changes in performance are substantial. I got the same distance with higher trajectory and way more forgiveness. The OS heads are only slightly larger than the XRs.

Which shaft did you get in these?

I got recoil 460s. Thought about the recoil 660, but the 460 is lighter and just as sweet.

Mine arrived today also. The Big Berthas are my back up set. These are just much smaller. The store manager had to give me a refund because I ordered the hybrids separately. Combo set pricing is much less. While I waited for him, I hit the irons again. First off, I never hit a 5 iron, but the XR OS 5 iron was stupid easy to hit. Very consistent but I'm still going with the hybrid.

Any chance you can put a pic up of the Bertha next to these looking from the sole to show size difference? Interested to see how much smaller these are.

Got my set today . 4-PW,AW,SW TT XP 95. All I can say is wow ! gained 10 yards on my previous irons. Even when I hit them all over the face . Nice trajectory and good carry . Don't look big at adress to me. Very nice irons.

I hit these last night. It was actually kinda silly how easy they are. Highhhhh ball flight for me (I believe I saw at least 3-5 yards higher than Apex CF) paired with the speed step 80 stock shaft. But they were straight and silly long. Didn't feel too bad either. Head is a bit big, but man they were fun and easy to smash.

My first round with these irons in the bag...so easy to hit and really gets the ball up. Distance was better than I expected. I gamed the Big Bertha's prior to these and the XR OS irons are easier and more forgiving to hit (for me) than the Big Bertha's. Also the distance with each iron was probably 5-7 yards more. Will get in another round tomorrow and have more details later.

Interesting, the Berthas are already really long clubs. I was hitting the XR OS 5 iron in the store Saturday. I was very consistent and all shots were over 205 yds.I thought it was easier to hit and more consistent than the hybrid.

Don't get me wrong, the Bertha's are great clubs but I never had the distance with them that I thought I should have. IE: I could only get on average 95-98 yards with the PW, no matter how well I made contact. With the XR OS today, the PW was about 110. Really had no problem with other irons but the XR OS's today performed better than expected and I was more consistent with them.

Don't get me wrong, the Bertha's are great clubs but I never had the distance with them that I thought I should have. IE: I could only get on average 95-98 yards with the PW, no matter how well I made contact. With the XR OS today, the PW was about 110. Really had no problem with other irons but the XR OS's today performed better than expected and I was more consistent with them.
I'm with you brother. A really good 5 iron for me is 185 yd. All of a sudden, I'm cranking them 205 yds?

Interesting, the Berthas are already really long clubs. I was hitting the XR OS 5 iron in the store Saturday. I was very consistent and all shots were over 205 yds.I thought it was easier to hit and more consistent than the hybrid.

205 yard 5 iron. Wow.

I experienced the same with my PW. Was struggling to hit it 100 yards but with the XR OS I'm hitting it about 110. I am noticing more of a mid trajectory with the PW. Could be that I went from Nippon 950 shafts in my previous irons to XP 95 in the XR OS.

These clubs work exactly as advertised. They are very very easy to launch. They didn't look quite as big as I thought they might but they definitely do look like SGI irons to my eye. I tested out 7 iron and PW from the set and I saw near comparable distances to my current gamers. I think these are going to be a hit for golfers who struggle with getting the ball airborne, want more confidence in their long irons and want something that doesn't look like a hybrid-iron set.

I currently game the xr irons. Contemplating these versus the G irons from ping and the OS from Cally. Anyone hit all three? They all seem like solid irons, just wondering if anyone has hit all three and have comparible feedback? I have seen the online reviews comparing the XR to the XR OS, but would like THPers opinions on the difference between irons. I guess my question is...worth the upgrade? Has anyone hit these versus the G's from Ping. Totally skimming.

I currently game the xr irons. Contemplating these versus the G irons from ping and the OS from Cally. Anyone hit all three? They all seem like solid irons, just wondering if anyone has hit all three and have comparible feedback? I have seen the online reviews comparing the XR to the XR OS, but would like THPers opinions on the difference between irons. I guess my question is...worth the upgrade? Has anyone hit these versus the G's from Ping. Totally skimming.

I have not hit any of the above except for the New Callaway XR OS irons. I gamed them this past Monday and Tuesday and I was more than impressed with them. They were easy to hit, very forgiving, and the distance was 5-8 yards further than my previous gamers, the Big Berthas.

I will add, the 4 and 5 XR irons are phenomenal for me. So solid and manipulative versus the XR hybbrids. Just more consistent and easier to hit low punch shots from the woods compared to the hybrids. Much more comfortable hitting irons from trouble spots than hybrids and I am more consistant and or accurate with the long irons. If the OS irons are significantly more forgiving, I would consider switching. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Some in this thread have said they are more forgiving, feel more solid, and sound much better. I never hit last year's XR so I can't compare them but I am really liking my XR OS irons. Sorry I can't help you more.

I game the XR and hit the XR OS...I honestly could not tell the difference between the two. When I compared the OS to the Wilson D200 (another SGI)...I actually dug the Wilson better. You really can't go wrong with either the XR or XR OS..my opinion

I traded the XRs in for the OSs. The OS is just more forgiving. Distance is close. OS sweet spot is bigger. It is more like sweet area. The xr is better at fighting the ball. The OS just wants to fly high.

Last edited:
Finally played a complete around with these today. I have to take back what I said about distance. The OS iron is at least a half club longer than XRs. While they do fly higher, it really is only marginally higher. I could still hit low shots if necessary. I was actually surprised at how versatile they are. Definitely more forgiving than the Big Berthas. A high ball flight but very penetrating.

The XRs have a very pronounced sweet spot. Not the case with OS irons. Just about the whole face feels soft and hot. Callaway has created a Super Game improvement iron that plays more like a Game Improvement iron except for forgiveness. Looking at what Callaway has done with these irons, you can see where they will be going with player's irons in the future. They are going to get a lot more playable for the average player. The lines are going to start to blur.

Bump because I am seriously considering these and I can always use more input.

I noticed the XR OS lofts are higher than the XR's and the shafts are a bit longer. The shaft lengths are nearly identical to my Ci7's and the XR OS lofts are only a degree or so stronger. They look to be a very good replacement set for my now slower swing.

I am pleased with what I have heard so far and would appreciate any additional input.

John

Last edited:
Bump because I am seriously considering these and I can always use more input.

I noticed the lofts are less than the XR's and the shafts are a bit longer. The shaft lengths are nearly identical to my Ci7's and the XR OS lofts are only a degree or so stronger. They look to be a very good replacement set for my now slower swing.

I am pleased with what I have heard so far and would appreciate any additional input.

John

Hey John,

I have a set of these also. I have only been able to put these in play for 1 round (due so much rain). I usually average 84-86 in score (yeah, i'm terrible, I know) but the first round with these I shot 81. These club are easy to hit, very forgiving, and my distance was better than my last couple of previous sets (Big Bertha & RocketBladez). I suggest that you hit these (if you can) at a local Golf store and see for yourself. But I warn you, bring your credit card because if you are looking a SGI iron, you will be walking out the door with a new set of Callaway XR OS irons

Did this thread die?I see no replies after 2/10/16 or am I doing something wrong

Woke up this morning, it felt like a new iron day ... after hitting a couple of different irons and talking to the fitter that I was wanting more height in my shots, he came back with XR OS ... on the monitor I was a monster ... 7i was going crazy long, tomorrow on the course will tell the real story. I will update my thoughts after a round.

FYI: my old set was Ping I15, and while the OS are "bigger" its really hard for me to tell that they are Over Size at address ... not like the Ping G-Max for example.

Back