Titleist 716 AP2 Irons - THP Review Thread

Is anyone still gaming these? curious how the Shafts have played.

Seeing these in a few bags around the club but no personal experience. Have 2 friends who have AP1 716's on order with recoil 95's - very interested in seeing those show up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have these with the DG AMT shafts and love em! Only a few rounds under my belt with them but the feel, trajectory are unmatched IMO. Great spin as well they stop on a dime.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I'm still swinging them, but with steel fibers. Absolutely love them. No inclination to even look at another iron this year. Seeing plenty of forgiveness across the face and really nice ball flight.

Thanks, the insanity is not over for me and these look real nice. Giving the Cobras one more chance tomorrow morning to wow me and if not off with their heads.....back to players type irons and these will get a serious look. Just deciding on the Stiff or Regular flex with this shaft is the question.

That is my problem, I should play the AP1 but do not care for the look or performance from a bigger G.I. head. It is not that I think I am good enough for player's type irons (the facts prove otherwise) in my brain the smaller clubhead is harder to miss, you have to focus or get nothing. Playing a larger head to me makes it easier to just hit the ball, but if it goes the wrong way what is the point?

Most shots are short due to ego and underclubing on my part with AP2 or APEX pro type clubs if I have them setup correctly, with the G.I. club to miss could be anywhere. Sure it is 99% me making the miss but why not have better results when the stars align and things are going well.

That is my problem, I should play the AP1 but do not care for the look or performance from a bigger G.I. head. It is not that I think I am good enough for player's type irons (the facts prove otherwise) in my brain the smaller clubhead is harder to miss, you have to focus or get nothing. Playing a larger head to me makes it easier to just hit the ball, but if it goes the wrong way what is the point?

Most shots are short due to ego and underclubing on my part with AP2 or APEX pro type clubs if I have them setup correctly, with the G.I. club to miss could be anywhere. Sure it is 99% me making the miss but why not have better results when the stars align and things are going well.

Interesting you say that. One of the reasons I went with the AP2 was it's larger than normal look compared to other players type irons. I had to MP15's and MP25s and these appear to me to have a slightly thicker top line and a less aggressive sole compared to the others. I was hitting my 4 iron the other night in the garage and had zero fear that the club wasn't going to help me.

Physically they might have the same top line dimensions, but the way the top line is beveled makes it look a little more rounded and thicker to me.

Is anyone still gaming these? curious how the Shafts have played.

I have these and LOVE them. I have the stock AMT shafts and love the performance they give me. I agree with the other above post that they will produce great penetrating ball flight and will stop on a dime. Some people might say its nominal, but the lighter weight in the 4 and 5 irons lets me feel like I am generating more power and speed... but I still like the heavier more stable feel of the higher irons and PW. I think its a perfect blend for the best of both worlds.

Have you tried the 716 AP1? I get what you are saying 100% and I too hate a clunky head. I've played the AP2 710's since they came out, and freaking love them. I think I'll actually cry when I hand them in for trade on my new irons next week. A 16 month layoff and bad wrists have forced me look at new equipment. I've gone to graphite, and as much as I wanted to get the new AP2 or, more so, the Apex CF16's neither worked for me in graphite. The AP1 did though. What surprised me is the 716 doesn't look anywhere near clunky as the previous models. It doesn't feel much thicker along the top edge than my AP2 710's. Offset looks fairly similar too. Compared to the Cobra Max I tried, the AP1 felt like a players iron. I'll miss that soft forged feel, but playing with graphite, I felt I was losing a lot of that feel anyway, so it isn't such a huge deal. I'm genuinely excited to see how these irons affect my game.

Well surprising results from testing the 716 AP2 with the Stiff AMT shafts against Wison FG V4 with DG pro stiff shafts. Both are longer for me than the Cobra F6, I have not idea why, maybe just mental or better contact with the smaller heads.

The AP2 and V4 were basically identical numbers wise, both shafts gave me increased clubhead speed and spin over the FST shafts in the F6 (average was 81-84 mph with the F6).
Average Club speed with the AP2 was 86-88 mph with around 5,500 rpm spin and 88-91 with the DG pro with 5,700-6,000 rpm with the V4 both were normally within 5 yards of each other depending on contact. Average distance was a bit longer with the AP2 (7) iron at 165, but peak height was better with the V4 (7) and the longest shots were with the V4 a couple over 170. This is a lot closer to the distances I was seeing from the Bridgestone J15DF, so I am just fine with a consistent and I hope accurate 160-165 yd. 7 iron

It was really pretty cool to look the sim and see just a cluster of shots and flight shape overlapping each other, mild draw and if I tried too hard more left (pull) I had to open the face quite a bit to hit a fade with either club.

The Wilson set 4-GW was $500 cheaper than the AP2 4-PW so it was a no brainer to go with the Wilson. 1st set I have had from them and 1st time with the DG Pro shafts. Also the stock V4 are only a .25" shorter than I normally order so I should not notice that at all.

Feel wise I would say the AP2 were a bit softer, but not a huge difference. I think I could blind test them and not tell the difference.

Going to be fun to see if my game actually changes, but my confidence got a big boost by puring (for me) both clubs shot after shot for at least 15 balls each. My track record on this particular Sim is terrible with serious contact / swing issues.

Well surprising results from testing the 716 AP2 with the Stiff AMT shafts against Wison FG V4 with DG pro stiff shafts. Both are longer for me than the Cobra F6, I have not idea why, maybe just mental or better contact with the smaller heads.

The AP2 and V4 were basically identical numbers wise, both shafts gave me increased clubhead speed and spin over the FST shafts in the F6 (average was 81-84 mph with the F6).
Average Club speed with the AP2 was 86-88 mph with around 5,500 rpm spin and 88-91 with the DG pro with 5,700-6,000 rpm with the V4 both were normally within 5 yards of each other depending on contact. Average distance was a bit longer with the AP2 (7) iron at 165, but peak height was better with the V4 (7) and the longest shots were with the V4 a couple over 170. This is a lot closer to the distances I was seeing from the Bridgestone J15DF, so I am just fine with a consistent and I hope accurate 160-165 yd. 7 iron

It was really pretty cool to look the sim and see just a cluster of shots and flight shape overlapping each other, mild draw and if I tried too hard more left (pull) I had to open the face quite a bit to hit a fade with either club.

The Wilson set 4-GW was $500 cheaper than the AP2 4-PW so it was a no brainer to go with the Wilson. 1st set I have had from them and 1st time with the DG Pro shafts. Also the stock V4 are only a .25" shorter than I normally order so I should not notice that at all.

Feel wise I would say the AP2 were a bit softer, but not a huge difference. I think I could blind test them and not tell the difference.

Going to be fun to see if my game actually changes, but my confidence got a big boost by puring (for me) both clubs shot after shot for at least 15 balls each. My track record on this particular Sim is terrible with serious contact / swing issues.
The Wilson FG V4s are very good and your results are very similar to what the Pro at my home track said when he compared his AP2 to my V4s.

It was a pleasant surprise, I was fully intent on the AP2 and just by coincidence the bay was also the Wilson fitting area. I asked what was the Wilson closest thing to the AP2 and he handed me the V4, never did I expect it to outperform the AP2 or really even be in the same ballpark.

Out of curiosity Jim, why did you test only stiff shafts?

I am in the high 80's SS with a 7 iron (at least today) and tend to really jump on it when things are working correctly, so I guess I am borderline reg / Stiff. out of the box. I did try some Regular shafts a few weeks ago when I was trying to figure out what to buy and I tend to hit sky balls all over the place.

In the past I did have great success with the Steelfiber i95 in regular, but they tend to be a different animal all together. It would be real interesting to do a fitting with a real professional fitter and see what they recommend, but it would need to be off grass not those darn mats.

I've been shopping around for a bit for a forged set. I like my current Rocketbladez but just want something more compact and with better feel now that I've built up a more consistent swing and strike pattern.

Wife was shopping yesterday so I went for a walk and dropped into one of our big box outlets who had a Titleist fitting day on.

Tried the AP1, felt the same as what I have, guy told me to just try the AP2. Had the Dynamics in them, just regular which is what I like, and didnt like the feel or the launch. He dropped in the XP95's and bang. Higher launch and baby fades...

Really liked the feel of these, I'm very keen now to get out at a local demo day at my course and play a round. Lost maybe 8 yards between both clubs I tried (7 iron and 4 iron) to my current set, but thats purely loft related and I'm ok with that if I can hit the range of shots I did in the fitting...

Hit these to get fit for new irons a couple weeks ago. Honestly liked the 714's more than the 716's. The 716's lacked the buttery feel of the 714's. Was just not a fan compared to the 714's, and do not see the improvement. That being said, the 714's are the best irons I've ever owned, so he 716's are still well above the curve.

Long story short, my current irons are being adjusted, so they had a set of these as a demo set for me to play yesterday during an event, I wasn't all that excited as I didn't know how they would perform, but I was pleasantly surprised, the AMT shafts might have been a bit much for me, but the heads were more forgiving than I had anticipated and on well struck shots they really performed great. The overall iron was a bit heavier than I'm used to, but I could see using them even up into the 6 iron. My playing partner had been gaming some older mizz irons and played out of my bag some of the day and was raving about them. I have a feeling they'll find their way into his bag before too long!

Long story short, my current irons are being adjusted, so they had a set of these as a demo set for me to play yesterday during an event, I wasn't all that excited as I didn't know how they would perform, but I was pleasantly surprised, the AMT shafts might have been a bit much for me, but the heads were more forgiving than I had anticipated and on well struck shots they really performed great. The overall iron was a bit heavier than I'm used to, but I could see using them even up into the 6 iron. My playing partner had been gaming some older mizz irons and played out of my bag some of the day and was raving about them. I have a feeling they'll find their way into his bag before too long!

Nice dude. I'm a huge fan of the AP2 line. I've yet to hit these, but I know I've loved the prior generations

I'm still really considering these. I've been playing well recently, playing to about 14 or so in the last month, handicap still 16... Is that 'too high' to be considering AP2's? I've wanted to move to a forged club for quite a while as I do prefer the feel with those that I have tried, ie this years Callaways and AP2's but not sure where the crossover level starts to come in with moving from a full GI iron set like my Rocketbladez to an AP2 style. Any advice guys? I guess the only way to do it is really ot just go for it and work with them... Mid year sales about to start here in Aus so a good time to invest.

I'm still really considering these. I've been playing well recently, playing to about 14 or so in the last month, handicap still 16... Is that 'too high' to be considering AP2's? I've wanted to move to a forged club for quite a while as I do prefer the feel with those that I have tried, ie this years Callaways and AP2's but not sure where the crossover level starts to come in with moving from a full GI iron set like my Rocketbladez to an AP2 style. Any advice guys? I guess the only way to do it is really ot just go for it and work with them... Mid year sales about to start here in Aus so a good time to invest.

Play what ever you want when ever you want. Will these clubs perform for you the way they do for me, no. But that doesn't mean you can't enjoy yourself with them.

I believe any level can play any club. As long as you realize that you may not get everything that was intended out of them. Do I think you'd get more from a cf16 or Ap1, yes. But play what you want.

I agree with Tadashi that people should play what they want. However if you want a forged set, there are options that offer tremendous forgiveness in the CF16 and the Srixon 545

AP2's are awesome clubs as far as I'm concerned. My advice is to try and get a fitting. Handicap means didly squat when it comes to choosing clubs. I'm currently playing to a 12 handicap. I recently changed from AP2's to AP1's. I miss the slight loss in feel but I love the extra help I'm getting. The fitting I went for backed up these were the best clubs for me. Buying a set of a few hits in a bay or on the range can be an expensive mistake.

CF16 and the Srixon 545

Did like both of these a lot. Preferred the CF16, just felt the Srixon while an awesome club, had a really wide soul and felt a lot heavier through turf to me.

I've already been fitted actually for all three, all have either KBS or XP95 regs in them and feel great would have an issue with any I guess. Dispersion just looked a little better than the other two though they were all very close in carry and roll distances. Would you say the CF16 and Srixons are more forgiving on slightly out of centre shots than the AP2's?

Did like both of these a lot. Preferred the CF16, just felt the Srixon while an awesome club, had a really wide soul and felt a lot heavier through turf to me.

I've already been fitted actually for all three, all have either KBS or XP95 regs in them and feel great would have an issue with any I guess. Dispersion just looked a little better than the other two though they were all very close in carry and roll distances. Would you say the CF16 and Srixons are more forgiving on slightly out of centre shots than the AP2's?
I think the AP2 is forgiving for what it is, but it doesn't stand a chance in forgiveness to either the 545 or the CF16. The CF16's take forgiveness to another level.

I currently have a 716 & 714 AP2's and just recieved my CF16's. Played a round with both today. Still prefer my AP2's they seem to hold greens better for me. But on a par 3 I hit a 6 iron off the toe of the CF16 and it only lost maybe 7 yards while my AP2'S would lose more like 12 yards. So depending on your ball striking ability the CF16'S might get you on a few more greens then normal. The CF16's are long so if you need more distance they are great. I personally don't need the iron diatance and prefer my spin numbers with the AP2's Both have their. strengths and weaknesses just depends what you prefer.

Just my 2 pennies

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I think the AP2 is forgiving for what it is, but it doesn't stand a chance in forgiveness to either the 545 or the CF16. The CF16's take forgiveness to another level.

I currently have a 716 & 714 AP2's and just recieved my CF16's. Played a round with both today. Still prefer my AP2's they seem to hold greens better for me. But on a par 3 I hit a 6 iron off the toe of the CF16 and it only lost maybe 7 yards while my AP2'S would lose more like 12 yards. So depending on your ball striking ability the CF16'S might get you on a few more greens then normal. The CF16's are long so if you need more distance they are great. I personally don't need the iron diatance and prefer my spin numbers with the AP2's Both have their. strengths and weaknesses just depends what you prefer.

Just my 2 pennies

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

you going to keep the cf16s or go back to the ap2s? I just sold my 714 ap2s, was thinking of getting into a set of cf16s.

Back