For All The XR16 Driver Users a Question

miparman

Reaction score
Handicap
Reading all the rave XR16 driver reviews I'm thinking about pulling the trigger but the same old issue keeps popping up in my mind.
I HATE and just cannot get along with drivers at these longer lengths (45.75" in the XR's case). So in reading the looong XR16 driver thread I would assume all are not playing them at the stock lengths.
That said at my preferred length of 44.5" with a 53 gram Bassara P Series shaft and in trying to achieve a decent D2 or 3 sw with a +1/32" grip the sw issue becomes a problem.
So the only alternative is hot melt as to add that much lead tape is not a good solution.
My question is are all playing at less than stock lengths using hot melt or what?

Is changing grips an option? That kind of tricks the SW scale though.
You have options here.
Have you tried choking down on the stock length? Did it feel right?
If so, you may not have to change SW at all.

I ordered mine at a slightly shorter length (45"), with a 60g shaft. They said they thought they'd be able to get it close to D1, but not D3. Give them a call and they'll let you know what range you can get in.

That said, i'm not super swingweight sensitive, and my irons are light-ish swingweight since PING's standard is D0 or so so it doesn't matter so much to me.

I cut down my Xr16 to playing length 45". My old XR was hot melt but this one isn't. Just use a mid size grip instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cut down my Xr16 to playing length 45". My old XR was hot melt but this one isn't. Just use a mid size grip instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think putting a midsize grip on tricks the scale the other way - moves the balance point up even further.

I think putting a midsize grip on tricks the scale the other way - moves the balance point up even further.

yes it does but I use a mid size grip to help delay the release I get from being too quick with the lighter driver. I would agree that it does move the balance point higher on the club. Lead tape is my friend though so it will be experimented with.

But in "tricking the sw scale" your also reducing overall weight with in of itself is an issue.

But in "tricking the sw scale" your also reducing overall weight with in of itself is an issue.

For some. For others its not noticeable. Just like swing weight.

My question is are all playing at less than stock lengths using hot melt or what?

I play mine (any driver) at 44.5" length. I don't concern myself with swing weight. All I know is I like it to feel light so I always add a heavier grip.

I'm 5'5" and 68 years old and I've been using the XR16 for the last month. Didn't change the standard specs. I find that I can hit it straight and long by just choking up an inch to an inch and a half. I recently purchased a High Heat (Knuth Golf) driver and used it for a couple of weeks and was able to hit it about as far as the XR16 and relatively straight. The High Heat is standard 45 inches and I don't choke up on it.

The one thing I noticed about the High Heat is that I had to put a little more effort into hitting it as long as the XR16, so I'm going back to the XR16 to see how it feels after using the High Heat for a couple of weeks.

I've thought about having the XR16 cut down and re-gripped but I'm afraid I might change the dynamics of the club so I think I'll just stick to choking up.

Back