Ball Speed is King!

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Lots of talk about club head speed and ball speed as of late, so we went to the founder of Club Champion to discuss what matters, what doesn't and how it impacts performance.

Can a fitting add more ball speed?
How does swing weight play a role?
Can you just swing it faster?
What about lighter shafts?
All answered and a lot more

I was waiting for some more of this series! It's getting me geared up for my CC fitting on the 5th. Going to catch this one when I find some down time today.

No matter how you get there it is ball speed that equals distance. I do wish he had answered your question as to how much of an increase the golfer who hits it 220 is going to see for purely personal reasons! LOL

Nice video and information... I always heard Isaac Newton was a smart guy...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the video. Really good info.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Love these segments! Very informative and easy to understand.

Another great video, thanks. Looking forward to the rest of the series.

Loved the first video in this series, looking forward to watching this one as well.

Force=mass x acceleration.
. I like that!!!

Last edited:
These are great videos, I will watch tonight. I need to keep the boss happy and not watch at my desk. :D

Really good stuff there and it just kind of confirms what we’ve been hearing on THP the last couple of years. Another great video in this series with Club Champion!

These videos are outstanding in explaining things to people getting into the game and not knowing a lot of this. Thanks for doing them.

Great video, very easy to understand.

No matter how you get there it is ball speed that equals distance. I do wish he had answered your question as to how much of an increase the golfer who hits it 220 is going to see for purely personal reasons! LOL
I was hoping to hear an answer as well. It would be helpful for "a friend".

Thanks everybody. Glad you are enjoying this and the previous we have done with Club Champion.

For my speed and contact, it always surprises me that I struggle to achieve 170 ball speed. And it's a big reason why I've never bothered to chase it. I've also never chased swing weight and have tended to lean lighter in irons. Man, I really think I need to take another look at all this.

Looks like the closest Club Champion is in Indy. Hmmm..

Makes sense with the thoughts on swingweight. Enjoyed the video. I am long overdue for a fitting.

For my speed and contact, it always surprises me that I struggle to achieve 170 ball speed. And it's a big reason why I've never bothered to chase it. I've also never chased swing weight and have tended to lean lighter in irons. Man, I really think I need to take another look at all this.

Looks like the closest Club Champion is in Indy. Hmmm..

We should do a series on this next year.

I love me some ball speed and I'm sure the folks at Callaway can find a way to give me some more next week.

I finally got to watch this. Very informative and I like how its explained in easy to understand terms.

Great video, definitely am rethinking my setup

Saw an instructor ask a group what's more important club head speed or ball speed and they all said clubhead speed. The instructor advised if you're hitting the ball all over the face you smash factor will never approach 1.5 where it should be. For a 90 mph swing hitting center on the driver vs missing it could drop smash factor from 1.4ish to 1.3ish. That's a 9 mph difference in ball speed from the same swing.

I’ve had very little time on a launch monitor but that is changing this winter. My club has two launch monitors and at least a couple days a week I am hitting balls and or playing around on the simulator. I’m really enjoying having the feedback of clubhead speed, ball speed, carry distance and launch angle. Often swing adjustments that I think are going to increase ball speed(swinging harder) doesn’t. After two 90 minute session in the last week I’ve discovered that good foot/leg work and balance is what increases my ball speed. A narrower stance also helps, probably because I’m not as flexible as I once was and the narrower stance helps me get a bigger turn. By making a couple small adjustments on Tuesday I was able to go from a driver ball speed in the low 150’s to about 158-160, not bad for age 53. If I get myself in better shape maybe I can bump it up a few more mph.

Finally got to watch this.

Really really damn good. Great info that had me nodding in agreement and saying ‘yes!’ Multiple times. Ball speed is most definitely king and it’s what I base all clubs I fit myself into to game off of.

Well done!

Back