Carrying a 3 and 4 hybrid

B6NHM

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi all. I currently have a m2 4 hybrid which I absolutely love! I’m currently carry a 3 wood too but I struggle to hit it and if I’m honest when I do hit it I hit it about the same distance as my hybrid, so I am thinking of dropping the wood for another hybrid. I’m fairly new to golf so I’m not a big hitter with a fairly slow swing speed. Do people carry 3 and 4 hybrids, or is that not a big enough gap between clubs? I have looked into a 2 hybrid but I’m not sure if they are easy to hit with the smaller heads or if they are very forgiving. People opinions and experience on this would be much appreciated.

Most people would say that once you go lower lofted than 21 or so degrees in a hybrid, most people with a slower swing speed can elevate a fairway wood more easily than a hybrid. You probably are experiencing the same issue with your 3 wood, i.e., generating enough speed to elevate a lower lofted wood. Everybody’s swing is different, but I would probably suggest going to a 5 wood or even something like Callaway’s Heavenwood, which many here have in their bags and love. The heavenwood is a 7 wood loft, but a bigger head and a shaft the same length as a 4 wood. It is a very easy club to elevate and very forgiving.

Most people would say that once you go lower lofted than 21 or so degrees in a hybrid, most people with a slower swing speed can elevate a fairway wood more easily than a hybrid. You probably are experiencing the same issue with your 3 wood, i.e., generating enough speed to elevate a lower lofted wood. Everybody’s swing is different, but I would probably suggest going to a 5 wood or even something like Callaway’s Heavenwood, which many here have in their bags and love. The heavenwood is a 7 wood loft, but a bigger head and a shaft the same length as a 4 wood. It is a very easy club to elevate and very forgiving.
Thanks for the reply. I will look into the heavenwood

Carrying a 3 and 4 hybrid

Hi all. I currently have a m2 4 hybrid which I absolutely love! I’m currently carry a 3 wood too but I struggle to hit it and if I’m honest when I do hit it I hit it about the same distance as my hybrid, so I am thinking of dropping the wood for another hybrid. I’m fairly new to golf so I’m not a big hitter with a fairly slow swing speed. Do people carry 3 and 4 hybrids, or is that not a big enough gap between clubs? I have looked into a 2 hybrid but I’m not sure if they are easy to hit with the smaller heads or if they are very forgiving. People opinions and experience on this would be much appreciated.

I reluctantly bought a callaway 4h (XR?) that the fitter talked me into. After getting to know it, I absolutely loved that club and hit it off the tee and every chance I got until it snapped. Now carry ping g400 3-5 hybrids that I like but am still learning them. Love hitting them.

Depending on your confidence with your 5i, I would go 5h before 3h. I don’t have confidence in hitting a 3h from anything but the best lies, and the 5h can go 200+ from the short rough if hit properly.

I hit my 5h probably 4x as much as my 3h, and am considering a 6h. I love them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m the same I tend to hit my hybrid off the tee more than any other club. But my aim now is to get some more distance. If I’m honest unless I’m on the fair way or in the short rough I won’t hit my hybrid of the deck, in a case of being in the rough or a bad lay I will use a iron. I’m not great with my 5i I don’t tend to get it out the bag.

I’m the same I tend to hit my hybrid off the tee more than any other club. But my aim now is to get some more distance. If I’m honest unless I’m on the fair way or in the short rough I won’t hit my hybrid of the deck, in a case of being in the rough or a bad lay I will use a iron. I’m not great with my 5i I don’t tend to get it out the bag.

I can hit the 5h from the short rough, no problem. I have more confidence with it than my 6i. I think you should give it a shot.

And if we’re being honest - im not getting much more distanxe, if any, from my 3h vs. my 4h.

I went with 3 and 4 hybrids for off the deck, since I only hit my 3 wood off the tee. However, I have been so inconsistent with 3 hybrids and even a 3 iron wood that I swapped them for a 7 wood. So far I am a bit more consistent with the 7 wood.

Eventually I want to figure out how to be consistent with the 3 hybrid and work it back into my bag.

I went with 3 and 4 hybrids for off the deck, since I only hit my 3 wood off the tee. However, I have been so inconsistent with 3 hybrids and even a 3 iron wood that I swapped them for a 7 wood. So far I am a bit more consistent with the 7 wood.

Eventually I want to figure out how to be consistent with the 3 hybrid and work it back into my bag.

I was surprised how much more difficult the 3h is to hit squarely vs. 4h.

Im pretty confident with my 4h. The reason for me writing this post is I’d rather stick with taylormade but they do not make a 2h to match what I already have so wanted to see what people thoughts are on carrying a 3 and a 4. The worse bit is the local golf shop to me is American golf but they have been bought out by someone else so at the moment they have next to no stock so no clubs for me to try :(

I dropped my 3 FW from my bag in order to ad my Cobra Bio-cell 3 H and my Ping 4 H to my bag simply because they are much easier for me to hit off the turf with. Works out pretty well for me.

Same here. I tried the Tour Edge #3 ironwood thinking it would be easier to hit than my 3 hybrid. But I struggle with that also.

Why not try a 4w or 5w? They’re usually much easier to hit than a 3w. I even went so far as to shorten mine an inch. I’m short (5’ 8”) but I mainly did it for ease of use and better control. My 4w isn’t much shorter or harder to hit off the deck than it is from the tee.

I carried a 3h and 4h for many years. There was plenty of a distance gap to make it effective for me. I just recently swapped out the 3h for a 5w to give myself another option off the tee if the Driver is struggling, otherwise I would still have the same setup.

That’s interesting.... I’d ideally like to be able to go try a 3h but as I said no stock at my local store and my course only stock the rogue

Why not try a 4w or 5w? They’re usually much easier to hit than a 3w. I even went so far as to shorten mine an inch. I’m short (5’ 8”) but I mainly did it for ease of use and better control. My 4 isn’t much shorter or harder to hit off the deck than it is from the tee.

Again comes down to being able to try the clubs before I buy

Lots of good advice already. You can certainly carry a 3h and 4h; lots of people do. But I tend to strike a 4h much more solid than a 3h, so I don't get a ton of distance gapping between the two. That is why I tend to replace a 3h with either a Heavenwood or 7w. With a slower swing, a 2h may not be your best option in that spot.

3w can be very difficult club to hit off the deck. I almost never do--save it instead for the tee. But the one I can hit well and high is the Tour Edge Exotics EX 10 Beta. I'm a lower ball hitter, so I prefer loft and high-launching shafts in my longer clubs.

That’s interesting.... I’d ideally like to be able to go try a 3h but as I said no stock at my local store and my course only stock the rogue

The Rogue Heavenwood is a beast (so is the hybrid line).

I like the rogue but have been told it’s not very forgiving

I carry 3w, 3h, and 4h. I typically only hit 3w off of clean fairway lies on par 5s and tee shots on short par 4s, but can still get the hybrids up out of light rough. I do have a gap between 3w and 3h, but don't see that yardage very often. If you're a beginner, I'd say go with whatever gives you more confidence.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I carry a 3H and 4H (and sometimes a 2H). I don't have trouble hitting the 3H (or my FWs usually). I like the versatility of hybrids.

I carry a 3H and 4H (and sometimes a 2H). I don't have trouble hitting the 3H (or my FWs usually). I like the versatility of hybrids.

Do you notice much distance between the 3h and 4h?

My 4 H is my 165 yd club and my 3 H is my 185 yd club

Do you notice much distance between the 3h and 4h?

The slower the swing speed, the more the distance gaps lesson between longer clubs. I think, as some have posted, many beginner to intermediate players would experience little distance differences between a 4 hybrid and a 3 hybrid. It depends much on the swing, too. The higher the launch in a person’s swing, the more likely these longer clubs will gap out in a usable way.

I carried a 2h, 4h, and 3w for years. I noticed the 2h was not working for me so moved to a 5wood and am having much better results. I thought it was an ideal shaft length for me or something and shortened my 3w which are as long as a driver when I started playing. Suddenly hit the 3w better off the deck. Recently removed my 4h and carry my 4i. Not quite as long but I'm not as likely to duck hook it.

I've used both a 3 and 4 hybrid quite a bit the past two seasons. The big thing for me had been making sure I got the correct loft so my yardages gapped properly. I worry more about the loft vs. the number of the hybrid so you get that yardage dialed in. .

Back