Charge For Sauce?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay stick with me here. I just had a friendly debate with a friend of mine that owns a few hotdog stands up in Maine. We got to talking about waste and that led to the conversation of ketchup packets, sauces and napkins. He said the amount of waste on those by customers is crazy high, and that he started to limit two per order/item. Other fast food places are now doing the same, offering up more for a small fee of around a quarter.

So my question is, where do you stand on the issue of charging for additional sauce? If you order 10 nuggets or strips or whatever, should you be limited to 1 sauce? Maybe 2, since a 4 piece comes with 1. Are you willing to pay an extra 25 cents for more? Should the restaurant eat the bill and just charge more for items, figuring if you round up every meal by a nickel, it works out?

Thoughts?

McDonald's in Canada have been charging for extra packets of sauce for awhile now. Ketchup excluded. I don't really have an issue, it's such a small costs.

I really don't mind them charging for extra sauce or just upping the price of my meal a few cents

As my father-in-law owns a Hot Dog shop, I always hear complaints on the napkins issue, while he doesn't charge extra I can understand in a way. I would more prefer to see it as they come with one or two sauces and if more is needed give one at a time depending on the order. But I understand completely especially small mom and pop shops trying to get the most profit but at same time also want to keep customers returning.

I would give a standard number with each order and give extra if asked and within reason. Asking for an extra sauce for your nuggets? Great. Asking for 10 so you can have a stash at home? No thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have zero problem with them charging for extra sauce or ketchup. Even if it is nominal fee I would think it would vastly cut down on the number of product that gets thrown away. Same with napkins, I need 2-3, but I have seen people just grab enough to clean soak up a 64oz spilled soda.

I have noticed places like taco bell skimping on the sauce packets lately, 1 per taco, 2 per burrito etc.. Who are you to tell me how much sauce I should use for a burrito? Sauce packets should be free especially from the drive thru where they rarely get your order right anyways

Ooooo... this might be a debate of the century.
I love sauces and I use every drop of it. So it's nice not paying for sauces.
I also only take 2 dipping sauces per 10 nuggets as an example.
I'd pay extra for sauces. I would.
I also have a roommate who grabs a handful of packets and maybe use one or two and tosses the rest... That bothers me and I call him out on it. He says, who cares because it's free.
To me that's just wasteful.
Stores should just charge per packet. Not for the sake of these companies making money but I think this would make people think how much things goes to waste.

Okay stick with me here. I just had a friendly debate with a friend of mine that owns a few hotdog stands up in Maine. We got to talking about waste and that led to the conversation of ketchup packets, sauces and napkins. He said the amount of waste on those by customers is crazy high, and that he started to limit two per order/item. Other fast food places are now doing the same, offering up more for a small fee of around a quarter.

So my question is, where do you stand on the issue of charging for additional sauce? If you order 10 nuggets or strips or whatever, should you be limited to 1 sauce? Maybe 2, since a 4 piece comes with 1. Are you willing to pay an extra 25 cents for more? Should the restaurant eat the bill and just charge more for items, figuring if you round up every meal by a nickel, it works out?

Thoughts?

When I order fast food they usually give me 2 or 3 sauces. I usually never ask for extra, but when I do it should be free. I would pay the extra 25 cents if they asked.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

I'm all for this concept. If you want more than a reasonable amount, pay up. I'm not a fan of upping the price of something for everyone to make up for those that might abuse things. And that parallel can be made to many things in life.

Should cost $100 per packet of ketchup for hotdogs...

I think it should be built into the cost of a dog an extra dollar to count for the napkins and sauce packets.

Or use those large pump dispensers

Those prices add up so an extra charge for extra sauce should not be a big deal. They should do a better job of telling employees to not give stuff out by the fistful at a drive through window.

Should cost $100 per packet of ketchup for hotdogs...

I think it should be built into the cost of a dog an extra dollar to count for the napkins and sauce packets.

Or use those large pump dispensers

You should have to also do a mental health questionnaire if you ask for ketchup on a hot dog.

can't wait to hear kulbick's take on this one...

for me, i don't like it. i feel nickel-and-dimed. BUT, in the great race to offer the lowest price, i get it. i would rather the cost get built into the normal price.

I hate the idea of charging for sauce. It’s about getting food but it’s also about the experience. Don’t nickel and dime me otherwise I’ll find another place to spend my money. Also, don’t charge me for the extra sauce if you aren’t going to give me a credit for the stuff I have removed from the order.

Charge For Sauce?

Raisin Cane’s charges for their sauce if you want extra.....I think it’s a joke. Either build the price in to cover it or just give it to me. I get to decide how much #Sidesauce I want...not them lol

You should have to also do a mental health questionnaire if you ask for ketchup on a hot dog.

This much I learned living in Chicago. Mustard, onions, pickles, tomatoes, jalapeño.

I'm all for this concept. If you want more than a reasonable amount, pay up. I'm not a fan of upping the price of something for everyone to make up for those that might abuse things. And that parallel can be made to many things in life.

Who determines what a reasonable amount is? In my scenario of tacos 1 sauce packet is not enough for a taco in my opinion. Should I have to pay for another since they only give me one? What are they going to charge me $0.05? That just silly

can't wait to hear kulbick's take on this one...

for me, i don't like it. i feel nickel-and-dimed. BUT, in the great race to offer the lowest price, i get it. i would rather the cost get built into the normal price.

I tend to agree here. Reminds of resort fees. Oh you mean the cost you take off the room to make it competitive and then charge me $30 a night for newspaper?

I have no problem paying a quarter for an extra sauce, like at Zaxbys. Ketchup packets should not be extra, within reason. If you order one small burger, you don't need a handful. If someone orders a couple burgers and some fries, don't be mad if I ask you a second time for more ketchup after you gave me three ketchup packets in response to my request for "a bunch".

I think it's kinda silly. You don't need to give me a full handful, but you can give me a packet per taco or 2 for a burrito.

Don't get me started on resort fees. 30 dollar resort fee... and then charge me 22 for parking. Looking at you, Hilton.

I don't mind charging for extra, when Kane's gives me one sauce though I sub out the slaw for more sauce. Most places I think just give them to you, I have never paid for extra myself.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Who determines what a reasonable amount is? In my scenario of tacos 1 sauce packet is not enough for a taco in my opinion. Should I have to pay for another since they only give me one? What are they going to charge me $0.05? That just silly

Now 1 sauce packet is just cruel for a taco. Needs to be 2 at least. I see the appeal of just adding .05 to each item to counteract it, but I also see the price war aspect. Let's be honest, the cost of a couple sauce packets is factored into the cost of the taco, just like onions and pickles are for a burger or relish for a hot dog. We are talking about people who order 3 tacos and fill their pockets with sauces and then throw out more than they use. And this would spell the end of the self-service sauce counter, which I have mixed feeling about. I'm in a glass case of emotion when it comes to this stuff.

I tend to agree here. Reminds of resort fees. Oh you mean the cost you take off the room to make it competitive and then charge me $30 a night for newspaper?

Good gravy. Going to Vegas next Sept and we see $89 a night. Awesome! Get to the confirmation screen and it's an additional resort fee of $119 for 3 nights. Get the efff outta here Raiders and your new stadium.

I don't mind charging for extra.

As far as ketchup, I think dispensers are the way to go for dine in customers instead of packets. Can almost guarantee that less will be taken because people will have to put forth a little effort to get it plus I'm sure the cost for the restaurant is less than an equal amount of ketchup contained within how ever many packets it takes to equal the tub it is dispensed from. Drive thru customers - maybe 4 packets per order of fries and not charge is someone asks for a reasonable amount more.

Back