"Player" hybrids - advice & recommendations

AUWU11

Reaction score
Handicap
7.2 GHIN
I tested a Titleist 818 H2 (4h 22d) and can say it's one of the best clubs I've ever hit. Smash was 1.5 consistently, was carrying the ball 215-220 consistently. When I saw the numbers, I couldn't believe it. Only one problem - It's almost $300. Little out of my price range unfortunately.

That said.. I'm on the hunt for other "player" style hybrids like this, meaning the smaller head like the 818 H2 for more control. I don't like big bulky hybrid heads, and want to find something similar in shape/size/style to the 818H2.

-Any suggestions or recommendations on the above?
-Someone told me the Srixon Z H85 fits this bill pretty closely.. Any truth to that?

Any and all suggestions are welcomed and appreciated!

I tested a Titleist 818 H2 (4h 22d) and can say it's one of the best clubs I've ever hit. Smash was 1.5 consistently, was carrying the ball 215-220 consistently. When I saw the numbers, I couldn't believe it. Only one problem - It's almost $300. Little out of my price range unfortunately.

That said.. I'm on the hunt for other "player" style hybrids like this, meaning the smaller head like the 818 H2 for more control. I don't like big bulky hybrid heads, and want to find something similar in shape/size/style to the 818H2.

-Someone told me the Srixon Z H85 fits this bill pretty closely.. Any truth to that?

H2 is nice. I love Titleist's surefit on it. H85 is a beast too.
I just didn't pull the trigger on either because I know that I'd hit a hybrid maybe 3 times a round and didn't want to spend top dollar on a new model. I'm okay with using an older model for the purpose.

The H2's are money imo. You can get them for far less than $300 too. Check eBay, there are tons of them for $170ish.

H2 is nice. I love Titleist's surefit on it. H85 is a beast too.
I just didn't pull the trigger on either because I know that I'd hit a hybrid maybe 3 times a round and didn't want to spend top dollar on a new model. I'm okay with using an older model for the purpose.

Good point. What are some older models like you mentioned that match what I'm looking for?

Mizuno CLK is supposed to play more like an iron and supposedly has very good ball speeds.

hogan vktr is so good. as is apex. i think a lot of people said the 818 wasn’t much of an improvement over the 816, so maybe go that route and stick with a shape and feel you already know you like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

After reading through these, I found a few 818 H2 on eBay for reasonable prices, but am also now interested in the Callaway Apex. Reviews for it are outstanding. Going to try to track one down at a shop nearby and give it a try, then decide from there. I alsp read up on the Hogan hybrid, but it seems a little "intimidating" (for lack of a better word). Thanks to everyone for the input! Very helpful and much appreciated.

I agree with what has been said that the 818 hybrids are not really much different in performance than the 816s. I would suggest looking for an 818 H1.

Adams Pro if you want to be cheap, Pro Mini if you want a cheap peanut

I would note for those saying the 818 and 816 are similar, that is true, but for me my miss is a hook and the 816 does not offer the weight adjustment the 818 does. It is really nice to stick a hybrid in fade bias for folks that hit draws and hooks.

Buy an 816 h2 at a lot cheaper price and same performance

Honma hybrids are probably not on your radar but they should be. The Tour World are available in a standard size and a compact version. PGA SS has them on the clearance rack and they can be had even cheaper on Ebay. The sound, feel and performance of these is great.

Yep, if you enjoyed the 818’s then just grab some 816’s and enjoy. IMO, not much of a real separator there.

I found the Hogan VKTR super easy to hit! Might be the best all around club I have ever played. I was blistering the 20* demo with the iROD F4 75g shaft 230 yards uphill and into the wind! For $135 brand new or 75ish on EBay, you can't beat it! I'm building a new set right now and I will have 3-4 of them depending on the course.

After reading through these, I found a few 818 H2 on eBay for reasonable prices, but am also now interested in the Callaway Apex. Reviews for it are outstanding. Going to try to track one down at a shop nearby and give it a try, then decide from there. I alsp read up on the Hogan hybrid, but it seems a little "intimidating" (for lack of a better word). Thanks to everyone for the input! Very helpful and much appreciated.

The Apex is a touch more forgiving than the 818 H2. The downside is no adjustable weight/loft/lie.

Good point. What are some older models like you mentioned that match what I'm looking for?

I hit the Tour Edge Exotics EX9 Tour, older model, but might be just what you're looking for. Compact head, titanium face, stock Recoil 780 ES shaft. Still had them at very good prices, from "very good" to "near mint", at Global Golf not too long ago.

Adams Pro if you want to be cheap, Pro Mini if you want a cheap peanut

Agreed with this here. If you don't mind the slots, these are great options. Apex is basically the luxury version, but the Adams Pro is a really fun club.

hogan vktr is so good. as is apex. i think a lot of people said the 818 wasn’t much of an improvement over the 816, so maybe go that route and stick with a shape and feel you already know you like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Honma hybrids are probably not on your radar but they should be. The Tour World are available in a standard size and a compact version. PGA SS has them on the clearance rack and they can be had even cheaper on Ebay. The sound, feel and performance of these is great.

Agreed with this here. If you don't mind the slots, these are great options. Apex is basically the luxury version, but the Adams Pro is a really fun club.

These are three great options - I had success when I hit all of the them

I hit some hybrids today and have some new insight.

Of the player hybrids, the 818 H2 is still my favorite. Found a great deal on a new one on eBay, so if I go that route I'll get it at a good price.

However, I also hit the Srixon Z H85 today, and am really intrigued by this club. The head is obviously bigger than a "player" style head, but isn't as big and bulky as some others that I've seen. Seems like a good balance in that area. Also, the shaft and head together have great weight to it. Always heard from people that would actually know that Srixon does the best job of pairing the right shaft with the right club. Finally, with the head being more "medium sized" (for lack of a better term), this club would obviously offer more forgiveness. It's one thing to swing a player club in the cage and "let it all hang out," and it's another thing to do it on the course when you'll naturally swing more normally when there's a real target 220 yards away, water down the side, wind left to right, and so on and so on. That said, a little forgiveness might not hurt. I also read on a review that it's more geared toward players with single digit to teen handicaps (I'm a 13.6), while player hybrids are more for low handicappers.

Has anyone here ever played/owned/hit the Srixon Z H85? If so, thoughts?

On a side note, I once read that if you're replacing a 2 or 3 iron (16 to 20 degrees) that you should go with a more wood-style hybrid, and if your replacing a 4 iron or more (21+ degrees) that you should go with a more iron-style hybrid. Anyone else ever heard this? Any truth to this line of thought?

Last edited:

Of the player hybrids, the 818 H2 is still my favorite. Found a great deal on a new one on eBay, so if I go that route I'll get it at a good price.

However, I also hit the Srixon Z H85 today, and am really intrigued by this club. The head is obviously bigger than a "player" style head, but isn't as big and bulky as some others that I've seen. Seems like a good balance in that area. Also, the shaft and head together have great weight to it. Always heard from people that would actually know that Srixon does the best job of pairing the right shaft with the right club. Finally, with the head being more "medium sized" (for lack of a better term), this club would obviously offer more forgiveness. It's one thing to swing a player club in the cage and "let it all hang out," and it's another thing to do it on the course when you'll naturally swing more normally when there's a real target 220 yards away, water down the side, wind left to right, and so on and so on. That said, a little forgiveness might not hurt. I also read on a review that it's more geared toward players with single digit to teen handicaps (I'm a 13.6), while player hybrids are more for low handicappers.

On a side note, I once read that if you're replacing a 2 or 3 iron (16 to 20 degrees) that you should go with a more wood-style hybrid, and if your replacing a 4 iron or more (21+ degrees) that you should go with a more iron-style hybrid. Anyone else ever heard this? Any truth to this line of thought?

I think what style of hybrid might be better is all personal preference.

When I was getting fitted, I hit the H85 and it was great. It was forgiving, carried a long way and loved the sound of it. I too like a smaller head but this club didn't throw me off in any way.
If I was in the market for a hybrid again, I'd stick with a Titleist because I love the surefit and and all of my woods are on open face setting.
I wouldn't worry about your handicap and should/shouldn't play certain clubs... If it fits your eyes, hit it well and not hurting your game; play whatever you want.

If you are looking for an older model, an option similar to the Apex is the XR Pro from the year before. Small profile and can be had for a song. Still my favorite hybrid.

Back