Shaft Breaks During Swing

Yes it was.

I’ve been trying to find out which shaft it was all day but didn’t find any current WITB or clear enough picture. Good you can confirm the brand of the shaft. Has to impact the brand given that they were supposed to have resolved the breakage issues in the prototypes.

Wow, that's scary. Hopefully he isn't in too much pain, that could have been a whole lot worse.

I'm reasonably schooled, not an expert, but IMO this looks ominous for TPT. If there is a "weak spot" in the shaft, you need to increase the design safety factor if you can't hold the manufacturing tolerances. If you have to increase the design safety factor enough, you may lose the performance benefits.

The world of bleeding edge advanced materials. They may have a big problem if they can't improve their manufacturing tolerances.

I just had a bud of mine, snapped off the last 1.5" of his extension under the grip on his driver shaft. Not sure how the hell he did it and HE DID IT. I have not seen anyone tear off an extension like he did and when I pulled off the grip, it felt like the extension material was too flexible & soft. Not harder like the other GolfWorks extensions. So yeah, I guess it can happen... but with Sendo, that was just plain simple NUTZ. I saw it happen "live" on Golf Channel TV, could not believe my eyes...

Yeah, his whole group was LIVID that it was a stroke. Ogilvy was cussing the f word live on TV, LOL

Not good advertisement for TPT for sure :(

I saw Howzat snap a Grandura during a swing. But yeah, that stinks.

It looked like it happened when it hit the ground.

I had it happen with my brand new EV Black in the exact same spot - the grip - on like the 5th swing with my Rogue driver. I did not contact the ground, just the ball.

Tpt has had a lot of shafts break but I've not seen or heard about one breaking in the grip. Normally when I see a break in the grip it is from an extension failing. The butt end of the shaft is supposed to be the strongest since it has the most material.

I want to try tpt but wow.

I had this happen while testing a club at 2nd swing on a M3 driver, the staff there said it happens sometimes and gave me a different one, i thought i was going to be on the hook to buy luckily that was not the case.

Broke a shaft once during a fitting. Couldn’t swing anymore after that. Sim had it at 305 yards with a little cut and the fitter said I must’ve shanked it off the hosel. Not sure those two things add up. Walked away and came back the next day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was a TPT - I watched a Senden tape. Said he'd seen it happen to other players in previous years.

I've had Matrix shafts break and a TPT ... but not at the grip.

Warranty took care of it.

If you equipment geeks want an excuse to buy another shaft and have a backup in the bag, this is it.

"Honey, you just never know when it will happen. Gotta' have a backup."

Watched that this morning...pretty gnarly.

I had a fujikura driver shaft break under the grip right in the transition years ago. I guess I'm not swinging as "hard" anymore because I haven't had it happen since

I had good luck with TPT as far as breakage, but the ATMOS black 6x was better for my swing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I just had a bud of mine, snapped off the last 1.5" of his extension under the grip on his driver shaft. Not sure how the hell he did it and HE DID IT. I have not seen anyone tear off an extension like he did and when I pulled off the grip, it felt like the extension material was too flexible & soft. Not harder like the other GolfWorks extensions. So yeah, I guess it can happen... but with Sendo, that was just plain simple NUTZ. I saw it happen "live" on Golf Channel TV, could not believe my eyes...

Yeah, his whole group was LIVID that it was a stroke. Ogilvy was cussing the f word live on TV, LOL

Not good advertisement for TPT for sure :(

I’d be pissed too. I want to win but I want to beat people at their best. That’s a pretty weak way for someone to earn a stroke.

But he does need to be happy he isn’t picking pieces of shaft out of his hand

That sucks, but what sucks more is they still called it a stroke because he started moving downwards

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

You can start moving downward, without being assessed a stroke, if you stop your swing before the ball or reroute the club with the intention of not hitting the ball. Easier said than done, I know, but it's possible.

Heard about this but hadn't seen it. Hard to tell from the video exactly when it broke but he seemed to be in some pain

Yeah, I watched it over and over. Can't tell if it broke at the transition point or closer to the ball.

Yeah, I watched it over and over. Can't tell if it broke at the transition point or closer to the ball.

Looking at where the head made contact with the ground I’d guest it was early on. The driver divots are usually reserved for us amateur folk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man that's wild! I enjoyed Ogilvy's reaction when they enforced the rule that a stroke had occurred.

Man that's wild! I enjoyed Ogilvy's reaction when they enforced the rule that a stroke had occurred.
What was the reaction?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

"Gimme a break, F#&$!"

Apparently, he's not knowledgeable on the RoG. I guess it's a good thing they have Rule Officials on course for them. Sad really when a pro can't get that one right.

Apparently, he's not knowledgeable on the RoG. I guess it's a good thing they have Rule Officials on course for them. Sad really when a pro can't get that one right.

While a different debate, I think this one where the rules dont make sense. The outcome is unfair and more so that the player now has to play the ball from tee. I would not be surprised if there is a rule change for a club breaking while attempting to make a swing from the teeing ground.

Right now the decisions I have seen about a club breaking mid swing dealt with a club head separating or breaking from an obstruction. While I think the club head coming free during the downswing is bad decision, it is still different from a club failing in the grip. Yes, golf has a sick obsession with bad breaks but equipment failure not from abuse shouldn't penalize the golfer.

Having your driver break mid swing in the grip is scary and just keeping hold of the club let alone making contact is hard.

While a different debate, I think this one where the rules dont make sense. The outcome is unfair and more so that the player now has to play the ball from tee. I would not be surprised if there is a rule change for a club breaking while attempting to make a swing from the teeing ground.

Right now the decisions I have seen about a club breaking mid swing dealt with a club head separating or breaking from an obstruction. While I think the club head coming free during the downswing is bad decision, it is still different from a club failing in the grip. Yes, golf has a sick obsession with bad breaks but equipment failure not from abuse shouldn't penalize the golfer.

Having your driver break mid swing in the grip is scary and just keeping hold of the club let alone making contact is hard.

I agree... dumb a$$ rule.

Back