Shaft Breaks During Swing

While a different debate, I think this one where the rules dont make sense. The outcome is unfair and more so that the player now has to play the ball from tee. I would not be surprised if there is a rule change for a club breaking while attempting to make a swing from the teeing ground.

Right now the decisions I have seen about a club breaking mid swing dealt with a club head separating or breaking from an obstruction. While I think the club head coming free during the downswing is bad decision, it is still different from a club failing in the grip. Yes, golf has a sick obsession with bad breaks but equipment failure not from abuse shouldn't penalize the golfer.

Having your driver break mid swing in the grip is scary and just keeping hold of the club let alone making contact is hard.

Yep. Stupid ****ing rule.

Yikes! At least it was under the grip! Pretty wild.

That is exactly how my Exotics CBX 3 wood with Hzrdus black shaft broke over the summer. Broke right under the grip as well. As I said in my post about it, it was definitely an odd feeling when swinging the club and it basically going weightless as I started my downswing when it broke.

That'll teach him for gripping it so tight! :act-up:

I've broken my driver shaft on the downswing before. I started bragging to my club pro that standard equipment can no longer handle my club head speed. He said.."let me guess, you were playing an out-of-town course and you had to fly there?". Yeah.....how'd you guess that? He told me the #1 reason for amateurs breaking shafts is that their clubs were stored improperly and a sustained stress was placed on the shaft. In my case, the travel bag on the plane. Guess my driver swing speed isn't all that fast after all.

Back