Shaft Breaks During Swing

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I had a shaft break on a swing, but it was wrapping around a tree...:bulgy-eyes:

That is amazing.

was he using a 5 inch universal plastic extension:alien:

that sucks, I would look for another brand right away

Quality issue?????

This happened to me with a 5 iron on the first set of graphite iron shafts I had. Was this a TPT shaft?

Wow! I don't recall ever seeing one break under the grip. Crazy.

Yikes!!!

Whoa, that's crazy and not a good look for the brand.

That sucks, but what sucks more is they still called it a stroke because he started moving downwards

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Heard about this but hadn't seen it. Hard to tell from the video exactly when it broke but he seemed to be in some pain

Said he was lucky. When it breaks in the hands, it usually cuts your hand.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

wow- he seems ok but hopefully it didn't hurt his hand or wrist.

And they ruled it was a stroke!!! :banghead:

Saw that last night. If you can find the good slo-mo video it looks to happen as he was just starting to come down.

That sucks, but what sucks more is they still called it a stroke because he started moving downwards

And they ruled it was a stroke!!! :banghead:

14/2 Club Breaks During Backswing; Swing Completed
Q.The head of a player's club separated from the shaft during his backswing. The player completed the swing but missed the ball. Is the player deemed to have made a stroke?

A.No. A stroke is "the forward movement of the club ... ." A shaft by itself is not a club - see Rule 4-1a.

14/3 Clubhead Separates from Shaft on Downswing
Q.A player starts his downswing and the clubhead separates from the shaft. The player continues his swing but no contact is made with the ball. Did the player make a stroke?

A.Yes.

however he can immediately repair/replace the club so long as he doesn't delay play too much

That's carzy and looked painful.

I saw this too. I never seen a shaft break in the grip before.

I loved Geoff Ogilvy was PO's on Senden's behalf... nice to see competitors trying to help/defend each other.

That's crazy. Never seen one break at that place.

Dang that's bad, and certainly could have been a lot worse as fast as those guys swing.

That was somewhat anti climatic and I agree with some of the others...not a good look for the brand.

Yeah, I feel like that's a raw deal. I feel like a break in the course of an ordinary swing should be a retee and replay of the shot.

I had a driving iron break a few weeks ago on the tee, I advanced the ball around 8 yards, my club head went almost 80...and I had to play it as it lies.

Back