annsguy

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
My3Kids
I had a weird retail experience I thought I would post then see if anyone else has had something similar. I drove to the town I’m staying in for business and as is normal for me I scout out the area golf shops. Walked into a huge GC where there were three or four guys all with lanyards indicating they worked there. I walked around the club area first. Pulling some hybrids to check out. Then saw a display for the Cortex driver so went to that. Pulled two clubs. Spent five minutes hopefull that someone would answer some shaft questions for me. Nothing. Put the club away and kept walking to the back. Pick up three Ping Sigma putters and proceeded to putt with them for about twenty balls.(Great putter BTW) still nothing. Walked up the other side looking at bags then shoes where I put on some Sketchers. At that point a good twenty minutes in I decided I’ll head for the door. The guys are still at the cash wrap and as I walked out a young kid said thanks for stopping by. I think I figured out why retail is dying. Last thought, I was the only customer in the store.

I had a weird retail experience I thought I would post then see if anyone else has had something similar. I drove to the town I’m staying in for business and as is normal for me I scout out the area golf shops. Walked into a huge GC where there were three or four guys all with lanyards indicating they worked there. I walked around the club area first. Pulling some hybrids to check out. Then saw a display for the Cortex driver so went to that. Pulled two clubs. Spent five minutes hopefull that someone would answer some shaft questions for me. Nothing. Put the club away and kept walking to the back. Pick up three Ping Sigma putters and proceeded to putt with them for about twenty balls.(Great putter BTW) still nothing. Walked up the other side looking at bags then shoes where I put on some Sketchers. At that point a good twenty minutes in I decided I’ll head for the door. The guys are still at the cash wrap and as I walked out a young kid said thanks for stopping by. I think I figured out why retail is dying. Last thought, I was the only customer in the store.

I haven't had an experience like that, but that is pretty sad. The worst part is, one of them was probably the shift manager.

This wouldn't have been the GG in Roseville, CA was it? That is the one by my work, and I've had that exact same experience more than once there. I have also had them falling all over themselves to help, just seems to depend on who's "working", and what their attitude is on any particular day.

in another thread multiple people were lamenting having employees approach them

i guess we don't know what we really want

I have a PGA SuperStore by my house and every time I want through the doors at least 2 people have either greeted or asked what I was looking to shop for that day within 30-40 feet of the door.

I’ve rarely had anyone at Golf Galaxy approach me - especially when I was looking at clubs. But honestly I prefer that. When I need help I will ask for it. And there is always help around. I’m not a fan of sales people being ‘on me’ the minute I appear interested. I like the freedom to roam without that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve rarely had anyone at Golf Galaxy approach me - especially when I was looking at clubs. But honestly I prefer that. When I need help I will ask for it. And there is always help around. I’m not a fan of sales people being ‘on me’ the minute I appear interested. I like the freedom to roam without that.

I'm the same way. Although it does seem like every time I tell them I'm good and send them on their way I end up actually needing help and no one is around.

Well - I’m admittedly antisocial so my POV may not apply to a lot of people. I actually prefer to think of it as ‘shy’ but If I need help I will find it...

While I appreciate everyone’s point of view I can’t figure out what these guy job is if isn’t to at least smile and say welcome to GC and maybe ask if I have any questions. In a world where the internet can make a sales team obsolete you shouldn’t aid the cause standing around talking.

This wouldn't have been the GG in Roseville, CA was it? That is the one by my work, and I've had that exact same experience more than once there. I have also had them falling all over themselves to help, just seems to depend on who's "working", and what their attitude is on any particular day.

It was in South Carolina.

I’m terrified of those places, Haven’t spent more the 30 minutes total in a golf stores over the 7 years I’ve been playing. If approached by an attendant I’m likely to make like the cowardly lion and jump out a window.

Last edited:
Having worked in a premium retail store as a manager we were required to speak to customers when they walked in and especially when they touched an item. These guys were lazy and probably lose out on a lot of money.

While I appreciate everyone’s point of view I can’t figure out what these guy job is if isn’t to at least smile and say welcome to GC and maybe ask if I have any questions. In a world where the internet can make a sales team obsolete you shouldn’t aid the cause standing around talking.

There’s a very fine line between being too annoying or pushy and not helpful. When I worked retail I tried to great everyone in my section, ask if they needed help and if the answer was no or go away I’d always tell them sure, and I’ll be around please let me know if you need anything.

Of course I had days where my give a damn was broken and I just barely cared if a customer was stealing televisions under their clothes. I did try to have very few of those days though.

Is there a PGA superstore nearby? If so, these guys might know there days are numbered.

The GG by me rarely has people asking to help. Now the last few time, I’ve either just browsed to kill time or was by the putters trying various styles and had no intention to buy anything. If I was looking to buy though I’d prefer someone to atleast say something once at some point. For now I don’t mind the lack of interaction.

I don’t think I have ever been approached by a salesperson in a GG any one of the dozen or more times I have been in their stores. I have either helped myself or had to try to find someone to help (and it wasn’t easy on a couple occasions when I have wanted help with clubs). On the other hand, my experiences at PGA Superstores are the opposite - almost always, but for when they are slammed, I have been approached relatively shortly after lingering in a section and asked if they could help. It was the same for Golfsmith. The only thing I can think of is GG management doesn’t foster the right customer service attitude. Too consistently bad at GG and too consistently good at other places that it wouldn’t be a matter of good/bad management.

I have a guy at GG, and we always chat when he's in. He's very helpful and supportive.

When he's not in, I've had a couple experiences similar to OP. Like OP, once I was the only person in the store.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

As someone who works at Golf Galaxy, I'm one of the only guys that deep down truly likes this shaft and component stuff. I'm the opposite as your experience, I tend to over explain things and will gladly talk about heads and shafts.

When helping someone in the sim, I'll also stay in the area and check to see if we need to tweak the loft or shaft while a lot of the guys will give you what you ask for and walk away until you come find them.

Like someone else said, a lot of people don't want me to talk to them while others want to talk for a half hour. I'll always ask someone if they need help and if they don't, give them my name and tell them I'll leave them alone unless they want my help.

JMB3 actually knows where I work even though I haven't seen him many times.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

As someone who works at Golf Galaxy, I'm one of the only guys that deep down truly likes this shaft and component stuff. I'm the opposite as your experience, I tend to over explain things and will gladly talk about heads and shafts.

When helping someone in the sim, I'll also stay in the area and check to see if we need to tweak the loft or shaft while a lot of the guys will give you what you ask for and walk away until you come find them.

Like someone else said, a lot of people don't want me to talk to them while others want to talk for a half hour. I'll always ask someone if they need help and if they don't, give them my name and tell them I'll leave them alone unless they want my help.

JMB3 actually knows where I work even though I haven't seen him many times.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
And now I've got two guys. :)

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Is there a PGA superstore nearby? If so, these guys might know there days are numbered.

I don’t know about this town since I’m here on business but I’d love to have a PGASS in Charlotte.

I don’t know about this town since I’m here on business but I’d love to have a PGASS in Charlotte.
Definitely need one around the Charlotte area.Golf Galaxy is lacking in a lot of ways around here,but it's about all we have since Edwin Watts closed .

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

IDK, if it was empty store I dont see the big deal. id rather ask for help when needed vs having someone on me right away. i find that very annoying the other way. I mean i suppose something like a "hello, how are you...please let any of us know if you need assistance" would do just fine by me. But other than that (like many people) I dont like sales pressure at all and in fact i hate it. Its why i really like the PGA superstore. No commissions and no pressure at all. want to hit clubs? sure by my guest. have questions, just ask and youll get help. etc. Just browsing around? no problem there will be no pressure.

But on another note I feel GG has gone down hill anyway. i believe I posted a thread about that a bit back. PGATSS imo is so much better and honestly (at least thus far) is the best golf store i ever been in.

IDK, if it was empty store I dont see the big deal. id rather ask for help when needed vs having someone on me right away. i find that very annoying the other way. I mean i suppose something like a "hello, how are you...please let any of us know if you need assistance" would do just fine by me. But other than that (like many people) I dont like sales pressure at all and in fact i hate it. Its why i really like the PGA superstore. No commissions and no pressure at all. want to hit clubs? sure by my guest. have questions, just ask and youll get help. etc. Just browsing around? no problem there will be no pressure.

But on another note I feel GG has gone down hill anyway. i believe I posted a thread about that a bit back. PGATSS imo is so much better and honestly (at least thus far) is the best golf store i ever been in.

No argument on PGATSS. I call on them in my work and they are sharp. I’ve called on retail stores for years. I don’t need associates to follow me around but say hello when a customer walks in. Why would I go back if I don’t feel welcome. Brick and Mortar can’t just let folks stand around and chat when they compete with the internet. I don’t see this particular GC making it. Then what do those four guys do.

The best store near here, in my opinion, is Roger Dunn. Followed by PGASS. RD seems to have a wider variety of gear and the staff is very here to help.

GG is my least favorite. They offer very little variety compared to the other two.

Back